Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2003, 05:56 PM

Random Thread

I just got A Passion Play by Jethro Tull the other day and I don't mind it. I think it's good. I got the enhanced cd version and it's so cool. I love the video of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles. Get the enhanced cd version if you can.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to PlayingTheFool Send a message via AIM to PlayingTheFool Send a message via Yahoo to PlayingTheFool
Re: Random Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by King Crimson
I just got A Passion Play by Jethro Tull the other day and I don't mind it. I think it's good. I got the enhanced cd version and it's so cool. I love the video of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles. Get the enhanced cd version if you can.
It is a decent album, but it seems to me that they did not take this recording seriously...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canterbury_Scene/
Old 11-23-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
It is a decent album, but it seems to me that they did not take this recording seriously...
I think this is too hard, knowing Ian, he takes everything seriously (except on stage were you can expect anything ).

I read somewhere that this album was a kind of response to some fans who were asking if Thick as a Brick was a concept album or just one long song, so they did a formal concept album with many songs and one central plot.

Iván
Old 11-23-2003, 11:34 AM

My JT list

1. Stand Up
2. Thick as a Brick
3. Songs from the Wood
4. Aqualung
5. Benefit

Personally I don't mind prog that borders on folk and blues. I'm a big fan of Fairport Convention and the like.

I might even get the new JT Christmas Album!!
Old 11-23-2003, 10:57 PM

from the #1 Tull fan

The outtakes from A Passion Play are even better than the record. There are three songs on the 20 years of JT that are excellent. But the stuff on "Nightcap" is even better. Both of those are real treats. I'm not a big compilation fan, but they did it right with those two!

The outtakes are generally called the "Chateau D'Isaster" tapes - Ian and the gang had a horrible time recording A Passion Play, so it's not a matter of not taking it seriously. Lots of issues for them with the whole process.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:14 AM
KeithieW

From the #1A Tull fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
The outtakes from A Passion Play are even better than the record. There are three songs on the 20 years of JT that are excellent. But the stuff on "Nightcap" is even better. Both of those are real treats. I'm not a big compilation fan, but they did it right with those two!

The outtakes are generally called the "Chateau D'Isaster" tapes - Ian and the gang had a horrible time recording A Passion Play, so it's not a matter of not taking it seriously. Lots of issues for them with the whole process.
Agree with you completely Rick. The tracks on Nightcap and 20 years compilations are brilliant. Listening to the music you can definitely hear where "Passion Play" comes from and I think it was an unqualified success as an album.

The tour they did to promote it was incredible.

It started off with a tiny spot of light projected onto a huge screen above the stage which flashed in time with a heart beat pulse. As the heart beat got louder so the white dot grew in size. All this taking place over a 20 minute period.

The band came on stage and performed the whole album. The film of the Hare who lost his spectacles was shown and completely dumbfounded some of the audience. I thought it was great fun and totally in line with the crazy world of Tull.

They then encored for a further 45 minutes or so and my friends and I went home knowing we'd witnessed something very special.

Definitely on a par with the "Thick as a brick" tour the year before.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:11 AM

Too bad I was too young to see the Passion Play concert. It would be cool if there was film footage on the entire show and have it released on dvd.

I've listened to the entire album twice and I can't get enough of it. I gotta get Nightcap.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:10 PM

Re: My JT list

Quote:
Originally posted by byzantium
Personally I don't mind prog that borders on folk and blues. I'm a big fan of Fairport Convention and the like.
I have a recommendation for you!
the album Winter Storm Warning
by Kent Rytting and Nick Bennett

you can check out samples here
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kranb

I really like this, the samples don't do justice to the variety on this CD and the way it flows from track to track.
The first track "Strum" reminds me of a cross between The Grateful Dead and Gentle Giant. There are also flavors of Fripp Guitar Craft style throughout.

Really a great album for anyone who doesn't mind some folk and acoustic music blended with their prog.

Peripheral Visions
- Soundclick station for discerning and adventurous listeners
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 PM

Smile Re: Random Thread

Wow - thanks for the plug, spedblavio. That was a nice surprise to see while checking the search engine listings (we have been overhauling the site for Twin Songs - the small label that I run, which released Winter Storm Warning - and I wanted to make sure our redirects were all in place so that no search engine links to the site were broken).

Kent and I are still pretty pleased with how Winter Storm Warning turned out; unfortunately, this is music that cooks fairly slowly for us, so our follow-up probably won't appear for another year or so.

FWIW, while we don't have mp3 clips for all the songs from the CD on the Winter Storm Warning page of the Twin Songs site, the clips we have there are complete songs; also, we try to rotate them from time to time, and keep 25-30% of our tracks available that way.

Of course, I hope that won't stop anyone from browsing to CD Baby and buying a copy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: