Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2023, 06:33 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
AuralMoon webserver resurrected

If you're reading this, it obvious that the Aural Moon website is back.

The original server was fine but its NIC (network interface card) stopped working. This all occurred the day I was packing for a large rocket launch in Maryland. I did try a reboot or three, and I swapped CAT cables between the server and switch. Nothing! At that point, I had to declare that the server was DOA and I wouldn't be able to resurrect the Moon until after my launch.

Upon return, I was swamped with a couple of other issues and didn't get to the Moon server until yesterday. I unracked the old server and replaced it with a new server. Yes, I have about 6 of the same servers sitting in a swap pile. Heavy buggers which aren't easy to manipulate.

The Moon booted up but there was an error in starting MySql, the database. Oddly, I noted that there were no log files. Late yesterday, Art logged in and looked about. He found a complaint in the syslog about the MySql log files. It was late and I told him I'd address it with a rested brain in the morning. Simple fix. MySql maintains a pointer file to all of the log files it creates. If those pointers don't point to a file, the MySql database refuses to start. Clear out the pointers and voilą the MySql started. I still think it's odd that old logs not existing should preclude the database startup but it's yoo-niks.

Thank you all for your patience and a big THANK YOU to Art who noted the log file error.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 04-07-2023, 12:00 PM

Re: AuralMoon webserver resurrected

Thanks to both you and Art.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:36 AM

Thanks VAXman for the news on the AM situation on your facebook page which I don't have but strangely let me read and of course Thanks for restarting AM Thanks also to the contribution of ART.

*****Congratulations on the missiles that I was able to see in the photos
Old 04-08-2023, 08:39 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

FWIW, the AM server had been running faithfully for about 15 years. It decided to give up the ghost Wednesday. At that time, I was packing for a big rocketry event extended weekend known as Red Glare in Maryland. This is the kickoff event of the flying season and I had much to pack. I apologies but the AM server had to wait. I was back Monday. I had some work, what an ugly four letter word that is, to do which interfered in getting the server replaced. Not to worry yourselves, I have a stack of the same server for replacements and ample drives too if need be.

Sadly, the weekend weather wasn't too conducive to rocket launching; albeit, some braved the high winds Friday. Saturday was canceled due to rains. Back home, tornadoes tore through my area causing electrical and communications outages. When it rains, it pours both figuratively and literally. I couldn't virtually replace the web server but could have with little to do Saturday than than talk rockets and drink beer. Sunday began poorly but cleared up after noontime. I finally had a chance to get my rocket to punch a hole in the sky.

My rocket is a full-scale HV-ARCAS, a sounding rocket used in the late '50s and early '60s. The pad weight of my rocket was 12.404kg! In my best Boris Baddenoff voice, "For you imperialist swine, that's close to 28lbs." The ARCAS, which I titled "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" — a Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbes fame quote — flew on an Aerotch L875-DM APCP solid propellant motor which cost me $450. That motor produced 3,887.0 N•s or, for you imperialist swine, 873.5 lb•s of thrust. The rocket flew to 2.233km or 7,326ft or ~1.4 miles. Winds eroded the expected altitude significantly by weathercocking the rocket as it approached apogee.

If you're interested, a video of my ARCAS launch is here.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Last edited by VAXman : 04-08-2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:40 PM

Very nice posts and great both of you. Thank you very much.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:58 PM

pretty neat launch VAX.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:54 AM
KeithieW

Impressive stuff VAX.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:56 AM
KeithieW

Our resident genius comes up with the goods AGAIN!
Thanks Brian. You are a star!
Old 04-09-2023, 09:55 PM
Patron

Wow VAX that launch was magnificent

And thank you and ART for Sherlocking and solving the Missing Moon Mystery that occurred. i actually had no idea it was down so long, i was listening via Music (Apple) and letting my grandson occupy the computer. So I thank you both for your excellence.