Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2001, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Grey
Wink The Stravinsky mosh-pit.

When Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring' was first performed, the audience, so moved, commenced to tear the theatre apart piece by piece! Now that's Rock & Roll! Not to mention 'Paganini', who could dislocate his fingers, so as to reach certain notes, and played with such speed, that people said he must've been demon-possesed (He was also known to make animal & donkey noises with his violin, to irk certain dignitaries in the front-row seats: Much like Eddie VanHalen, or Adrian Belew!). It's the attitude, and just as Rock & Roll will never die, perhaps it was never actually born either. It's always been with us, in some form. Keep the Beethoven. Thanx!
Old 08-14-2001, 04:06 AM

Bye the way...

Thanx for YES' "In the Presence of"
The 'new' songs were the 'BEST' at the 'Hollywood Bowl" show: Can't wait for the CD. The dream continues...You are the 'Messenger!' So glad you are there. It's a STRANGE world. Any 'Clarity' is appreciated!
Thanx. "E"
Old 08-14-2001, 08:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Beethoven, Hawkwind, Spock's Beard, etc.

Classical music that rocks, eh? If that's the plan for classical on AM forget all that other stuff I suggested except for the Egmont Overture by lovely, lovely Ludwig Van. It will more than likely get all the hooligans ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence (hehe). I strenuously suggest this overture for a little classical thunder!

As far as Hawkwind, Kurt, Black Sword is a good album too (but I always thought "Needle Gun" was a little cheesy). I don't think Moorcock was involved in making the album (as he was for Warriors on the Edge of Time), the band just wrote an album about his literary works. Correct me if I'm wrong. BTW, I would really like to get "Quark, Strangeness and Charm" and "Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music" on CD. Do you have any idea where I could find them?

One final question: Are there any plans to put "The Light" by Spock's Beard on the playlist (or at least all of it sans "The Water"--I realize the language gets a little filthy)? This album really rocks, and I think it would be a great addition.

Old 08-16-2001, 10:44 AM

Hawkwind/Moorcock

They collaborated on at least 3 and possible 4 or 5 albums if I remember correctly. I read (and just reconfirmed through a google search) that the collaboration on Chronicles of the Black Sword went so far as Moorcock providing narration between the songs during the road tour and mimes acting out the various parts (Elric, etc.). The Live Chronicles album supposedly includes all this that didn't make it into the studio album.

Oddly enough, I've never heard any of the songs from either the studio or live album of Chronicles It's one of the few I couldn't get a cassette copy of. By the time I heard about and got into Hawkwind, you could only find albums in the Imports section of the record stores if you were very very lucky.

I haven't had any luck finding CDs of those albums either.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the great site......Starcastle-"Lady of the Lake"
Old 08-20-2001, 03:36 AM

Talking Adventures in Utopia...

...Did I mention, "Thanx for the Todd!). Definately belongs on this enlightened station. Thanx again! "E"
Old 08-20-2001, 03:50 AM

Unhappy No Beatles?

...I tried to post earlier to mention how happy I was to see UTOPIA on the playlist: my post went out the windows, so here we are again, but I just noticed the 'No Beatles'.
What about the last 3rd of Abbey Road, or 'Glass Onion', or 'A Day in the Life'?
Should be there, now come on! Thanx! "E"
Old 08-20-2001, 06:00 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for adding the Hawkwind so quickly! Wow.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:55 PM

Cool Additions I would like to see

I have just discovered your site recently, and I am absolutely hooked. Proving to be a tremendous resource as I rebuild my Progressive collection...on CD this time. Keep up the great work.

1. Genesis Live - absolute must...first Progressive album I ever bought..best $3.99 (in the bargain bin in 1975) I ever spent.

2. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure - another must...their most Progressive work I think.

3. Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple and Spartacus

4. Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die

Thnx
Old 08-27-2001, 09:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to freissig
music suggestions

Please add some music from Nektar. Especially from "Remember The Future" and "Recycled"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: