Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2003, 03:27 AM
KeithieW

Smile Favourite Gigs.

I know it will be difficult to say what your favourite gig of all time would be but I'd love to know what gig sticks in your mind as an special moment in time.

As I write I'm thinking back to a Yes gig at Wembley Empire Pool back in 1978. They played the concert "in the round" with a revolving stage and were showcasing the Tormato album.

A little way into the set they played a medley of songs including Time and a Word, Long Distance Runaround, The Fish, Perpetual Change and Soon.

It was during The Fish, with Chris hammering out the riffs that Jon was spotlighted and Sang "Survival, they take away and they give........." The orchestral keyboards of Rick soared out in a glorious sweeping chord and I really thought that things couldn't get much better than this. That moment has stayed with me ever since. A special moment in time.

There have, of course, been many gigs since that left me feeling elated but that particular moment..............WOW!!!!!

I've just noticed that this moment is actually on the playlist!!!!!

I can't believe it!!!!! I'm actually there in the Audience getting totally blissed out.

Last edited by KeithieW : 03-30-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:43 AM

I can remember two which that are very special for some circunstance:

1.- Sep. 1993 Lima - Perú, Rick Wakeman: This was rhe first important concert played in Lima, because we always get third class (or almost dead) artists. Rick was here at 10:00 in the morning, but the instruments were not. Because a confusion with Iatta codes the instruments went to Paraguay (Pa) instead of Perú (Pe).
The concert was programed for 9:00 pm, with a full auditorium of 7,000 thousand fans, but the concert started at 1:00 am, the incredible thing was that nobody left the hall, Rick was so moved that played extra time (until 4:00 am) , and surely gave his best, he was so happy that he came back two more times.

2.- Oct 1994? Lima - Perú, Jethro Tull: This was the group's second concert in less than a year, and as he always does, Ian started to jump and play around the stage, sudenly he vanished, the stage broke and his leg also did. We thought the concert was over, but he asked for a chair sat down and gave one more hour of music. He must have been in great pain but sung as if nothing had happened. Really I never saw such a demonstration of professionalism in my live.

Iván
Old 03-30-2003, 08:34 PM

A dozen moments in time

Some special moments:

1) 1979 Tull - Ian Anderson in Pirate garb, with Dave Pegg just joining the band, watching a 14-year old puke during the flute solo, encoring with "Minstel In the Gallery". Cheers!
2) Seeing Randy Rhoads in 1981.
3) King Crimson 1982. The ultimate lineup. Robert Fripp is a god.
4) Return to Forever, 1983. I'm still in awe!
5) Seeing George Carlin and Pat Travers in the same evening at two different venues. If I play my cards right, I can see Carlin and Echolyn on 4/26. Now that's weird.
6) Ulrich Roth, with Clive Bunker on drums, at a hole-in-the-wall bar in 1985.
7) Seeing Crack the Sky 12 times, and having the privilege of seing Echolyn and Iluvatar in their infancy at very intimate venues. Long live prog!
8) Discipline at Progday in 100 degree heat - 1998.
9) Anekdoten at Progscape in 1994 doing a jaw-dropping version of "Starless".
10) Deep Purple 8/11/88 at Hammerjack's in Baltimore on a same day, previously unannounced free show. I waited 7 hours to get in, wore a mixed drink on my head, and loved it. Did not appreciate the 15-second tease of "Rat Bat Blue", but last I checked, I wasn't involved in the set list.
11) Tull on Veterans' Day, 1987 - a foot of snow, nothing else open in the city. Played Dun Ringill and Wind-Up. Ian wore the same overcoat in unbearable heat the ensuing summer. Entertained audience members on the couch set up on stage left.
12) And finally, Joe Satriani, Stu Hamm, and Jonathan Mover tearing up Hammerjack's in 1988 for $5. I have never seen a trio dominate like those guys. My ears are still ringing!
Old 03-31-2003, 01:05 PM
KeithieW

Great memories guys!

Some great ones there Ivan and Rick. I've seen Tull quite a few times myself over the years but ones that stick in the mind the most are:

1) 1972 at the Royal Albert Hall. My first Tull gig. They performed the whole of Thick as a Brick (still my favourite Tull album). It seemed to start late but then I noticed that there were a whole load of people wearing brown coats and tarten caps sweeping and cleaning the stage. After a few minutes they dwindled in number until there were only five of them left. All of a sudden off came the coats and caps and it was the band. Ian with his flowing Anderson tarten coat (Man, he must have been hot), tights and cod piece. Straight into TAAB with Aqualung, Locomotive Breath and a 20 minute Wind up as an encore.

2) The following year, 1973, at the Empire Pool Wembley, showcasing A Passion Play. Throbbing Heart beat sound with a pulsing spot of light that got bigger and bigger as the Heart beat got louder. The Story of the Hare who lost his Spectacles was hilarious.

I've never been disappointed by Tull live. They always put on a great show and I think it's terrific the way Ian has adapted his singing style to counter for his throat problems.

Long may they continue!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I've never been disappointed by Tull live. They always put on a great show and I think it's terrific the way Ian has adapted his singing style to counter for his throat problems.
That's absolutely true Keith, the first time Tull came to Lima the concert also seemed to start late, until an old lady entered the stage with a broom and started to clean the floor, almost all the audience laughed when the "old lady" began to scratch her butt.

But then she turned around, broke the broom with her knee and the flute jumped to her hands as the old clothes fell off (don't ask me how he managed to do that in a couple of seconds). "The old lady" of course was Ian who started to play "With You There to Help Me" from Benefit album dressed as a medieval flute player.

The audience went mad, this guy really knows how to win the audience in a second.

Iván
Old 03-31-2003, 09:36 PM

Keith you old fart!

I really envy you, man. The heyday of those great bands were the 70-77 period. It's mind boggling the number of fantastic artists there were. There are so many bands I never saw, such as Gentle Giant. Tull doing the entire TAAB and also doing Passion Play the next year? Wow.

Please fill me in on any other shows from that period that stand out.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:20 AM
KeithieW

Fart-Yes!, Old-No!

Other 70s shows that stand out?
OK! Here goes:
1) Genesis live in 1973 at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. They were doing Selling England....that tour and needless to say encored with Suppers Ready. At the end, as they get into the "And it's...........hey babe" reprise, I was thinking that it was odd that Gabriel was still wearing his black cape but not for long. On the note of "Hey babe" the cloak dropped to the ground and PG flew up into the air wearing a silver suit. He sang the rest of the song hanging from the wires with a bright white spotlight. Rays of light bouncing off the suit in all directions. Stunning effect. Completely blew me away.

2) Genesis doing The Lamb at the Empire Pool Wembley. Great show! I saw the Tribute band ReGenesis do a performance of The Lamb a while back and while they were good, very good, it wasn't the same.

3) Yes showcasing Tales from Topographic Oceans at the Rainbow in November 1973. The album hadn't been released and the looks on the faces of the fans was amusing. some (like me) loved it. Others couldn't get their heads round it at all. They must have all been Music Critics. Some of the headlines in the press were very scathing "Yes-Close to boredom" is one I remember.

4) Yes at QPR football ground in 1975. Their one and only tour here with Patrick Moraz. It was great to here this incarnation play "Ritual" from Tales........Moraz's keyboard style was SO different to Rick's.

5) Focus at any of the Sunday Joints......every gig different from the last.

6) 1973 and Hawkwind do "Space Ritual Alive" to the nation. Wow! I'm amazed I remember it as well as I do..........if you get my drift!!!! Heady days.

I would have loved to have seen Return to Forever. The closest I got was to see them do "Romantic Warrior" on the TV in a Studio Gig.

And my greatest disappointment? Someone offered me a ticket to go and see Miles Davis at the Royal Festival Hall and I turned it down to get drunk with some mates. Miles died a while later and I never got to see one of the greatest musicians who EVER lived.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:03 AM

The Indie Rocker must speak up

I saw Appleseed Cast at a tiny club in Jackson, MS called Martin's last June. They played a mixture of songs from Low Level Owl and Mare Vitalis. It was LOUD, and there were only abouot thirty people there, but that's what you gotta do to catch the new wave of art-rockers - Shun the Radio.

It was a great show.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:11 PM

Thanks to both of you

for your experiences. I would have really like to have seen Focus. Great line about the "music critics".
Old 04-06-2003, 11:08 AM

I would have loved to see Focus also.

Actually, I had a buddy ask me to go see them (didn't even know they were coming to town). We arrived at The Omni (the old building where Phillips Arena is now) at 7:30. The concert was to begin at 8:00. We noticed there were only about 3000 people there. I never heard a radio ad for the concert, so it was no wonder. We noticed roadies coming and going on stage all this time. By 9;30, people were getting very upset. By 9:45, promoter Alex Cooley came out (lights had not dimmed- BAD NEWS!). The bands equipment truck had broken down in Alabama, the show was CANCELLED! ..."But our opening act, Lynyrd Skynyrd, will play over the Omni PA system for those who wish to stay. Just move around to the seating behind the stage."

This was a Tuesday evening. Their new album was just released to the local college station, and came out in stores that week. They played most of their debut album, and they really rocked. Free Bird was played in the studio album style, NOT with the frilly piano on the live album. A memorable moment was when Ed King's Fender Twin Reverb started smoking near the end of Free Bird. I've never heard that small of a crowd cheer so loud .

Another memorable show:
Listen to "Utopia Theme" from Todd Rundgren's Utopia. Now picture yourself listening to that show live in a huge castle courtyard with stars twinkling above in the night sky. Then, notice that it's played over a full-blown high resolution Quadraphonic sound system!

This show was a $5.00 general admission show at the Fox Theater. People were pushing up to the doors in the main foyer. Todd came out and got on some folk's shoulders to urge people to "move back"! He opened playing solo works from Something/Anything, A Wizard, A True Star (with backing tapes!) and his current album, Todd. Not bad.

The band came out and Todd announced they were doing a live recording of the band's theme song. "We've recorded in two other cities, so you have a one-in-three chance of becoming famous!" The sound quality was FANTASTIC! The quad system was used to great effect during the synthesizer break prior to the vocals. If you listen closely, you can hear me yell yeah (ya-uh) in the background.
The performance was perfect, no overdubs on the album.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:44 PM
KeithieW

Far out!!!!

Clactdj.

After the question about "Schizzy" in the quiz forum I went and bought 3 Utopia albums. I haven't listened to them yet but following on from this post I'm going to listen out for you.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:02 AM
KeithieW

Thumbs up Fame for clactdj!!!!!!!!

I heard you!!!

What I also heard was an amazing album.........Ye Gods!! How have I gone so long without knowing this album. I bought Ooops! Wrong Planet years ago and loved it, especially Love is the Answer.....being an old peace loving hippy at heart. But this!!!! I think it's going to be on my deck for ages.

I can only imagine how you must have felt sitting there with this whirling around your head. What a buzz.

Thanks man, you've done me a HUGE favour!!

Must go and start the player again.....see ya!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:05 PM

Keith-

I bet you'd like "Another Live" also. Not as good, but killer versions of "Do Ya" and "Just One Victory".

I really didn't care much for any of the other Utopia studio albums. I love the following Rundgren solo works:

Something/Anything
A Wizard/A True Star
Todd

I wish he'd do some albums like these again....{sigh}.

BTW.... my name is

Keith Ling
Old 04-08-2003, 02:31 AM
KeithieW

Todd, Todd and more Todd

Good to know you Keith.......there are more of us Keiths than people think!

I've got a copy of Something, Anything and love it too. My sister played me I saw the light (she'd bought the single) when it first came out and I thought that if the rest of the album is as good as that I'd be mad not to buy it. I went to the record shop only to discover it was a double album and I didn't have enough money. I did manage to buy it a couple of weeks later and still play it often.

I'll definitely look out for the others you recommend.

Take care man!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:11 AM

Ahh favorite gigs.....I base my criteria on SOUND and sound only. Although some of my favorite shows have been ones with elaborate staging,lighting,and visuals such as E.L.O.`s tours of the 70`s, some Yes tours with the Roger Dean staging, Pink Floyd`s mammoth stadium tours. I`m going to list the best SOUNDING shows I have been to.The best sounding concert by far was Supertramps "Breakfast In America" tour in 1979.It was almost like they put on a CD (even though they weren`t invented yet) and faked playing their instruments.They sounded that good. A close second was the Kansas "Left Overture" tour in 1977 at one of the true great concert halls in the U.S.A....the Tower Theater in Upper Darby Pa. Simply outstanding. I have seen them numerous times after this show and although they always deliver a fine concert....they haven`t come close to this tour. Other great SOUNDING shows were 3 Yes tours...the "Relayer tour of 1975, the "Solo" tour of 1976 and the "In The Round" tour of 1979. Near perfect sound on all 3 tours. I have seen Yes 15 times and I always get my $$$$ worth. Pink Floyd`s "Animals" tour in 1977 was also one of my faves. Great sound. It was probably the most anticipated concert of my life, and they did not disappoint.
That show blows away the 80`s and 90`s Floyd tours.Maybe it was Roger Waters. Genesis "Trick Of The Tail" tour was another truly great sounding concert. Alot better then the 80`s Genesis tours.I wonder how this tour compares with Genesis w/ Peter Gabriel tours? Electric Light Orchestra Part 2 with the Philadelphia Orchestra was near perfect. Better sound then the 70`s but with no elaborate staging or lighting. Although Jeff Lynn was missed on some songs. As you can see....after close to 300 concerts in my life, the progressive rock bands stand out as the best SOUNDING shows of my life. Other great sounding shows were J.Geils Band, Journey, The Kinks, Jethro Tull, Peter Frampton, Boz Scaggs,Night Ranger,Asia,Crack The Sky,Eric Clapton,Jefferson Starship,The Cars,Hall and Oates,Bob Seager and The Silver Bullet Band,UK,INXS,Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers,Rush,and Jackson Browne.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:48 PM

King Crimson, the Agora Ballroom, Atlanta GA, 1981, Discipline tour. I ate an entire sheet of LSD a half-hour before hitting ground zero. We sat at a table fifteen feet from the stage, drank overpriced Molsons, and after suffering through some wannabe U2/Big Country band, saw the most incredible set I've ever been privileged to see. Fripp is, indeed, a god, though he's chosen to lay back a good bit now and let Belew and Gunn provide much of the firepower for the latest incarnation (he still provides the structure and can let 'er rip when he chooses). But nothing can touch that foursome of Fripp, Belew, Levin, and Bruford. That group touched heaven.

The bunch of us, dosed, dazed, and beyond overjoyed, drove halfway home, stopped at a Waffle House where we were served omelettes that looked like footballs sliced lengthwise, made it another hour or so, and stopped around 4 am at some friend's house in Alabama, where we slept the clock round and managed to trundle back home many, many hours overdue. Fun!

Biggest dichotomy between "good" opening band and "great" main attraction was Saga and Jethro Tull in 1984 ? , Merriwether Post, Washington DC. Sorry, Saga fans, but they were the absolute gut-wrenchingly worst excuse for a prog band that I've had the misfortune to be exposed to. Everything that is wrong with prog music was demonstrated by that bunch of pompous larda$$es that night. Of course Tull (the Broadsword tour) blew them away. (Watching twenty or so guys in white hospital johnnies stalking each other around the stage during "Watching Me Watching You" was easily worth the price of admission.)

*edited to correct bad date

Last edited by black max : 04-25-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:44 PM

Merriweather

I was at the exact same show. Saga played two years later at the Bayou in Washington DC (a now defunct club, one of my favorite places). They were incredible. The Saga show we saw was not to be done in an open air ampitheater. sSrry, they are really good live - you can't like their stuff in a large crowd, wasted. That's no excuse to trash them.

If you have ever seen opening acts such as Hawaii (ELP), Satan's Three (Sabbath/BOC), you will understand what I mean. I've been to over 300 shows. I've seen bad.

Saga - They're far from pompous.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:46 AM

Saga: I've heard very little of their studio music and I've seen them live once, so I have little to go on. On that one night, though, they were execrable. (And I wasn't *nearly* as trashed that night.) Anyway, it's all opinion, man.

Worst opening band I've ever seen was whoever that was fronting Live on the "Distance from Here" tour. The rest of the band wore black and tried to imitate Bush; the singer had waist-length scarlet dreadlocks, a green PVC jumpsuit, and was channeling a combination of Johnny Rotten and Yoko Ono while indulging in an embarrassingly self-conscious set of stage, uh, gyrations. Give me Saga any day.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:35 PM

Execrable

cool word - what does it mean? I'd like to use it sometime. Anything to do with excretion?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:46 AM
KeithieW

Re: Execrable

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
cool word - what does it mean? I'd like to use it sometime. Anything to do with excretion?
ex·e·cra·ble
adjective.
Deserving of execration; hateful.
Extremely inferior; very bad: an execrable meal.

Says it all really!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: