Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Extended Play
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2004, 02:40 PM

Aug 29 & 30 - More is Less is More (Best of EP)

I. Little Worlds (Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - 2003)[list=1][*]Intro - 2:30 [*]Bil Mon - 8:45 [*]Ballad of Jed Clampett - 4:07 [*]Puffy - 6:45 [*]New Math - 7:00 [*]Longitude - 3:04 [*]Latitude - 5:04 [*]Centrifuge - 2:06 [*]Off the Top the Gravity Wheel - 4:54 [*]Off the Top Line Dance - 4:50 [*]The Fjords of Oslo - 0:41 [*]Sherpa - 5:21 [*]What It Is - 3:42 [*]The Leaning Tower - 6:06 [*]Mudslingers of the Milky Way - 6:15 [*]Captive Delusions - 3:55 [*]Costa Brava - 8:23 [*]Poindexter - 5:38 [*]Prequel - 3:14 [*]Return of the Mudslingers - 2:51 [*]The Cave - 1:35 [*]Next - 5:57 [*]Pineapple Heart - 5:06 [*]Snatchin' - 4:47 [*]Reminiscence - 5:34 [*]Sleeper - 12:16 [*]Flunky - 0:40 [*]The Last Jam - 4:26 [/LIST=1]
II. Yanqui U.X.O. (Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 2002)[list=1][*]09-15-00 (part 1) - 16:27 [*]09-15-00 (part 2) - 6:16 [*]Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls - 20:42 [*]Motherfucker=Redeemer (part 1) - 21:22 [*]Motherfucker=Redeemer (part 2) - 10:10 [/LIST=1]
Old 08-28-2004, 04:47 AM
KeithieW

Hmmmmmm..........

Less is less is less more like.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:03 AM

More running time is Less albums is More fun
Old 08-28-2004, 11:20 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally posted by Extended Play
More running time is Less albums is More fun
Except when Godspew You! Brainless Endomorph is in the equation.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye
Except when Godspew You! Brainless Endomorph is in the equation.
Somewhere in Toronto, a child just cried because of that.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I. Motherfucker=Redeemer (part 1) - 21:22 [*]Motherfucker=Redeemer (part 2) - 10:10 [/LIST=1]
If it's an instrumental, I see no reason for that title...

If it's not, I'd like to see the lyric sheet.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll

If it's not, I'd like to see the lyric sheet.
It's an instrumental, as are all GYBE compositions. You'll have to take up title issues with them though. I could scan the cd for ya, but that's definitely the title.

Blame Canada.

Tommy
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 PM

as I suspected...

I thought they were all instrumentals too, thanks!

I've seen that title before, and when I first heard of them, I thought they played different "music" that they do.

Wasn't being a prude, and I love Canada, just curious. the title is what I yell when I see one of their songs in the queue.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I agree. You can name an instrumental anything, so be creative. I like this band a lot, but this track title is just inexcusable. All you do is alienate people. If you're looking for an irreverant title, why not:
"Give the Dog a Bone; Give the Man the Finger.'
Old 08-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Geez - why are Americans so offended when the art world uses curse words or nudity? It's art for goodness sakes! You may not think there's a reason for them to use that word, but you don't know that, nor are you in any position to say that they don't! How can anyone say that there's no "need" to use a title, or a "need" to use a certain instrument in a performance, or a "need" to use a certain color in a painting. It's ludicrous. Artists by their very nature demand complete freedom of expression - it's fundamental to the spirit of creating music, sculpture, or anything that is supposed to relay a human experience.

I'm willing to bet no one has bothered to even do the most cursory research about this title.

I think American culture has some growing up to do. We're only 228 years old - most of the western world has moved past this point long ago in their cultural history.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:16 PM

interesting

Quote:
Originally posted by Avian
Geez - why are Americans so offended when the art world uses curse words or nudity? It's art for goodness sakes! You may not think there's a reason for them to use that word, but you don't know that, nor are you in any position to say that they don't! How can anyone say that there's no "need" to use a title, or a "need" to use a certain instrument in a performance, or a "need" to use a certain color in a painting. It's ludicrous. Artists by their very nature demand complete freedom of expression - it's fundamental to the spirit of creating music, sculpture, or anything that is supposed to relay a human experience.

I'm willing to bet no one has bothered to even do the most cursory research about this title.

I think American culture has some growing up to do. We're only 228 years old - most of the western world has moved past this point long ago in their cultural history.
I agree with everything you say Avian, but I must make some clarifications since I was the one who said "I see no reason for that title":

1) That's all I said. A very simple 7-word sentence. If you can get all of that from what I said, you are amazing.

2) I said I was CURIOUS. Curiosity is not being offended.

3) Did anyone say anything about NEED? I sure didn't. I was just wondering why.

4) My guess as to why is that Godspeed's title may refer to the rise and fall they have in their music. Like it or not, their music has ups and downs. But my feeling is, if you have to guess, it's too arcane to be understood.

5) My favorite comic is Carlin, I like Monty Python, etc. I am no stranger to profanity.

6) To me, motherfucker is an excellent metal word, and often appropriate on the highway. If it has a meaning here, I am wondering why. And I didn't know they were Canadian - what the hell difference does that make?

7) Songs like "Lick My Love Pump" by Spinal Tap and "My Baby Loves Me Cos' I'm A Hard Lovin' Man All Night Long" by IQ are funny because the music is light piano. That's amusing. What is "art" about motherfucker? It's just a word.

8) I was asking a question, so I wouldn't have to research. That's all. i guess I should stop being "shallow" and look it up.

9) Instrumentals can be named funny, Spaz is right. Ponty has "Egocentric Molecules", etc.

10) You will find no one more sensitive to "The Ugly American" than I am, Avian. What you said strikes a raw nerve with me. An inquiry has nothing to do with immaturity. Tell you one thing, if Tony Bennett sang a song with motherfucker in the title, it would seel big in America.

11) Saying that "Americans are offended" is as absurd as saying "people from Mayfield, Kansas overreact over Godspeed posts".

And finally, sorry that Tommy's thread about his show became a forum for morality. Hopefully I'll be around to listen to the music.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:06 PM

Re: as I suspected...

Quote:
I thought they were all instrumentals too, thanks!

I've seen that title before, and when I first heard of them, I thought they played different "music" that they do.

Wasn't being a prude, and I love Canada, just curious. the title is what I yell when I see one of their songs in the queue.
I think people aren't getting the Canada joke. That's a play on the Blame Canada movement in the South Park movie, and the fact that GYBE are Canadian. Clever me . . .

As the person responsible for programming in the show, I can easily understand if people are offended (of which I can't really tell if this is the case), but this just highlights the fact that it's easier to change the channel than yell at the radio.

I'm fine with discussion though, and this one seems lively. Glad I could provide a forum through the set.

It's understandably hard to tell when GYBE are ranting and poking fun, so even I don't know where to attribute the title. I just know that the music amazes me.

From what i've read, the last two pieces are about the current state of the record industry within the "multinational corporate oligarchy". Yes, they're very political.

Tommy
Old 08-28-2004, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: as I suspected...

Quote:
I think people aren't getting the Canada joke. That's a play on the Blame Canada movement in the South Park movie, and the fact that GYBE are Canadian. Clever me . . .

As the person responsible for programming in the show, I can easily understand if people are offended (of which I can't really tell if this is the case), but this just highlights the fact that it's easier to change the channel than yell at the radio.

I'm fine with discussion though, and this one seems lively. Glad I could provide a forum through the set.

It's understandably hard to tell when GYBE are ranting and poking fun, so even I don't know where to attribute the title. I just know that the music amazes me.

From what i've read, the last two pieces are about the current state of the record industry within the "multinational corporate oligarchy". Yes, they're very political.

Tommy
I never saw the movie....another joke over my head

Glad i could provide entertainment...hmmm...it's always me in the middle...either I'm always wrong or I take no shit. take your pick

It's hard for me to tell what they're saying because they're fucking instrumentals! I guess if would have listened closely enough I would have known it was about the record industry. Boy am I an idiot!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Re: interesting

Quote:
I agree with everything you say Avian, but I must make some clarifications since I was the one who said "I see no reason for that title":
Sorry if I offended you Rick - I certainly didn't mean to. But my post wasn't directed at any one person in particular. I should've made that clearer in my post. I've received feedback from many people about this song title. Some folks wanted me to change it. Add that to the general culture in America where our Attorney General covers up a sculpture in a government building during news conference because it shows an exposed breast, and a New York mayor who wants to censor a painting of Christ made of human waste, and you get the kind of thing I'm speaking to.

Quote:
3) Did anyone say anything about NEED? I sure didn't. I was just wondering why.
This was a misquote on my part. I meant to type "reason" (I see no reason for that title). But my point stands - just replace "need" with "reason".

Quote:
6) To me, motherfucker is an excellent metal word, and often appropriate on the highway. If it has a meaning here, I am wondering why. And I didn't know they were Canadian - what the hell difference does that make?
ROFL! But seriously, what is a "metal" word? I'm not sure I understand. I made no reference to the band's country of origin - it's irrelevant.

Quote:
7) Songs like "Lick My Love Pump" by Spinal Tap and "My Baby Loves Me Cos' I'm A Hard Lovin' Man All Night Long" by IQ are funny because the music is light piano. That's amusing. What is "art" about motherfucker? It's just a word.
9) Instrumentals can be named funny, Spaz is right. Ponty has "Egocentric Molecules", etc.
There's certainly more to art than humor, of course. GBYBE strikes me as being in the vein in contemporary art. Contemporary art can be abstract, abrasive and contradictory, among many other things. Song titles can be as much a part of a piece of musical art as a painting's title can be of the painting. I'm sure everyone would agree that some of the best art isn't literal. I once saw a sculpture of a red cube poised on one of its vertexes. The title of the sculpture was "rape". It was an amazing piece, only made more interesting by the images the title envoked. That's just a blunt example.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:14 AM

metal

meant heavy metal, oops.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:24 AM
Patron

Less talk...mo music...ROTFwLaughter

such a potent little bugger...should it fly freely in the wind it would lose much of it's potency but it lands harshly on the tongue and can thereby inflict a harsh reaction....even in the mouths of artist...

i flinch when i read the title...it's a knee-jerk reaction, then the word is made void and it's offense washes off into nothing.

looking forward as ever to EP tommy...and

thank you avian, rick, yespaz, keithie for such wonderful late nite reading.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:05 AM

Re: Less talk...mo music...ROTFwLaughter

Quote:
Originally posted by podakayne

thank you avian, rick, yespaz, keithie for such wonderful late nite reading.
those sci-fi novels are overrated anyway
Old 08-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Avian

I just have to jump in here and say "I got your back." Even though Rick's post clearly didn't fall into this category, millions of Americans DO have the puritanical/self-righteous/... attitude that Avian was responding to, and I agree with him completely. If we think some piece of music is good enough to add to Aural Moon, it's gonna be added as the artist wrote it and named it.

Yes, I agree that MotherFucker=Redeemer is a silly title, and probably done solely to get attention. Regardless, it's what they titled that piece, and I don't have the arrogance needed to change the title.

OK, bonne nuit...
Old 08-30-2004, 09:16 AM

The reason I was so defensive is that is seemed that Avian was using my post as a springboard to preach...and the fact that I agree with him is lost because it seemed like a me vs. him thing. The statement "I got your back" feels to me that there is a point of dissension, where there isn't.

Jim, I'm glad you mentioned "attention" - I get my dander up when someone does something for the sole reason of grabbing attention. The world is full of people who do this, at the expense of others. Not saying this title is in this realm, but again, just asking the reason.

If there's no "meaning" for the title, then that's OK too cause it's their tune - if you recall, I thought there was a hidden purpose.

I mean, I wish I had a dollar for every time a song turned out to mean something different than I thought. I like to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Owner Emeritus

Quote:
[b]The reason I was so defensive is that is seemed that Avian was using my post as a springboard to preach...and the fact that I agree with him is lost because it seemed like a me vs. him thing.
It post was not intended to be an attack on your post by any means - my apologies if it seemed that way. As I said, it was a reply to no one specific post - it was a reply to the general feedback that many had expressed regarding this song title. When I reply directly to a post, I usually quote it. I thought it tied in well to a well known phenomena we're all experiecing here in America, that in turn directly affects this station.

It's certainly not a me vs. you thing - sorry if you got that impression. Again, accept my apologies.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: