Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 12:49 PM

Question Virgin Flower - advice for a Flower King newbie

Flower Kings...

Where do I start?

What's the order of collecting albums I should take (if I'm not sure I totally dig them) and why?

Are there different phases of style/quality that FK went through such as what Genesis went through? Personally I'm looking for musical complexity.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 02:11 PM

All The Flower Kings fans I know like to pick one song and listen to it over and over and over again. Preferably, long ones from Adam and Eve. I'd recommend starting there.

Actually I'm pretty clueless when it comes to The Flower Kings. They don't terribly offend me, but I don't find them very interesting either. That makes two Flower Kings newbies in this thread.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:15 PM

o, I'm familiar with Adam and Eve, and the previous FK album ... I'm a devout AM listener. Because of that I've been dissuaded to purchase those albums.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:56 PM

getting serious here

I find their first one (actually a Roine solo) The Flower King a bit old style rock. It's definitely prog. The next two are classic prog, Retropolis and World of Adventures. Stardust We Are (2-CD set) is fantastic. Get that first.

The next one is also a double (Flowerpower), but is uneven. I think a single disc there would have been better. Space Revolver is great. Get that one too. Then they start to get more jazzy.....Rainmaker is excellent also.

I don't have A & E yet, but I have Unfold The Future. That's a double, it's mostly good, but again maybe one CD would be better.

I don't listen in enough to be burnt out on it, but I will get A & E.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:39 PM

Thansk r&r

I just picked up Flowerpower. The jury is out on it but I find it at least musically refreshing. I guess it may have had a better impact if it was one CD. I will move on to try Stardust.

Thanks again
Old 10-15-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prythm
Thansk r&r

I just picked up Flowerpower. The jury is out on it but I find it at least musically refreshing. I guess it may have had a better impact if it was one CD. I will move on to try Stardust.

Thanks again
Exactly as I said....too much fluff. Have fun with Stardust.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Owner/Program Director

I would echo Rick's recommendations exactly. Stardust is a great album.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:08 PM

Space Revolver

I got into The Flower Kings through Space Revolver. Other than the free jazz noodling on "I Am The Sun (Part 1)" and "Dream On Dreamer", it's a great album from start to finish. My favorite, in fact.

Back in the World of Adventures - their first proper album as a band - is also excellent, and a good starting point. Retropolis - another great album - is a good follow-up to that.

I would generally warn people away from the double albums, which suffer the problem of having a lot of filler material (Stolt needs an editor to Just Say No sometimes). Stardust We Are is just not a good album - the best tracks are only so-so ("Church of Your Heart" - the best track - doesn't measure up to the best on other albums) and there's a lot of dross in there. Unfold the Future has some strong moments, but a lot of filler. Flower Power is uneven, but is the strongest of their double sets, in my opinion. The first disc is a decent but not spectacular concept piece. The second disc has some outstanding tracks.

I'm not too fond of Adam and Eve so far. And The Rainmaker is no great shakes either.

Just my opinions, of course.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:01 PM

Re: Space Revolver

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Rawdon
I. Flower Power is uneven, but is the strongest of their double sets, in my opinion. The first disc is a decent but not spectacular concept piece. The second disc has some outstanding tracks.

Just my opinions, of course.
Looks like we agree on some, not so on others. That's cool. I'm wondering though...isn't the awful "Magic Pie" on the second disc?
Old 10-22-2004, 08:22 AM

Hmmm.
Thanks gentlemen. Although the opinions are a bit contrasting you have provided some helpful insight.
Thank you for your responses.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:55 PM

Re: Flower Power

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Looks like we agree on some, not so on others. That's cool. I'm wondering though...isn't the awful "Magic Pie" on the second disc?
Aw, c'mon, "Magic Pie" isn't that bad. You just have to have the right goofy 60s mentality to appreciated it!

The second disc does have several great tracks: "Deaf Numb and Blind", "Stupid Girl" and "Painter". "Corruption" is also pretty cool.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:13 PM

Re: Re: Flower Power

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Rawdon
Aw, c'mon, "Magic Pie" isn't that bad. You just have to have the right goofy 60s mentality to appreciated it!

The second disc does have several great tracks: "Deaf Numb and Blind", "Stupid Girl" and "Painter". "Corruption" is also pretty cool.
Those are the great ones yes......"Corruption, this ain't no place for decent men...."

Magic Pie
Old 10-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Owner/Program Director

Deaf Numb and Blind? Maybe the worst FK track of all time. Trite, cliched, and trite. Did I say trite?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prythm
Hmmm.
Thanks gentlemen. Although the opinions are a bit contrasting you have provided some helpful insight.
Thank you for your responses.
Might be a good idea to pick up Scanning the Greenhouse(Kind of a best of)To give you a tast of a few CD's
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 AM

I still say just listen to the station and request TFK songs. If you like it, try that album.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:51 AM

Yesspaz, that just makes too much sense. You're right. Thank the Moon.

Though there are sometimes albums that can get destroyed by a few rotten egg songs. And sometimes you need to hear the song in context within the album as a whole experience.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:50 AM
<Insert emoticon here>

Another FK newbie chimes in

I too have just discovered this band (on the Moon of course!) I had also seen some web words about the Roine Stolt "The Flower KIng" that apparently started it all. Then, in my local store, I noticed a 7" sized edition on the wall. It's an "artbox" edition, so I grabbed it. This really is a masterpiece album. It's more of a rock prog rock, but has an ENORMOUS sound when he cuts loose on guitar. I heartily recommend it! I'm looking forward to digging into the rest of their catalog!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: