Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2003, 03:42 AM
KeithieW

Question Discoveries

I love listening to AM! Not only to hear tried and trusted bands such as YES, Tull, Genesis etc. but to discover new bands.

I'm interested to know what bands you've discovered, grown to love and actually bought albums by from listening in.

Since tuning in I've got albums by:

Greg Howard - Water on the Moon
Jade Warrior - Distant Echoes
Finisterre - Storybook
Ryo Okumoto - Coming Through

The Greg Howard album is never very far from the CD player.

I would have bought a lot more but finances dictate that I can't...That's life in the great Metropolis.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:55 AM

Endless

Great Thread Keith! This is the real payback for all those bands that get their music played for free on stations like Aural Moon. Unfortunately, despite Montreal being a "prog" town, it is really difficult to find stores that sell these records but I did pick up DFA's Work in Progress Live and have numerous other ones on my wish list:

Anything by Liquid Tension Experiment
Porcupine Tree
Transatlantic
Spock's Beard
Rennaissance
new King Crimson
old Genesis
etc, etc.

The question is how will I find time to listen to it all. I guess the answer is Aural Moon.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:47 AM
KeithieW

Thumbs up Hard to get!!!

zvinki,

London has a lot of Record stores but none of them seem to stock anything apart from the mainstream stuff.

If I hear anything on AM that I want to buy I tend to click on the "Buy" button and get it via Amazon. Some times works out a bit dearer but at least I know it's going to arrive at some point.

Glad to hear you like Renaissance too. I've been listening to them for more years than I care to remember. My own favourite Renaissance album is 'A song for all seasons' which unfortunately isn't on the AM playlist.............how about that PROGDIRJIM?

There is so much great music out there but we need to keep on buying their stuff to keep the wheels of creativity turning. AM does a great job in introducing us to all these guys and gals. It's up to all of us to lend support in the only way we can....pass on the word, go to the gigs and buy the albums.

Edit:
Just to prove I practise what I preach i've just bought (via Amazon):
Niacin - High Bias AND
Erik Norlander - Into the Sunset.

Thank you AM!!! Another couple of discoveries thanks to you guys.

Last edited by KeithieW : 03-20-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Fossils are Rock!

discoveries

Because of tuning in to AM, Anglagard has become one of my favorites.
I moved to Milwaukee about two years ago, and it turns out there is a fairly good sized prog community here. (In the past year or so: Tony Levin, Flower Kings, Yes, KC, California Guitar Trio, Par Lindh, Savoy Brown, Dream Theater, Satriani,... all within walking distance.)
There is also a good record shop. I went in to buy Anglagard's Hybris, and the guy asked if I was at the impromptu Anglagard jam. Apparently, the guys were in town one weekend (but not to play) and someone convinced them to play anyway. Wish I'd been there.
Even though there is a lot happening here, AM is still the place to check out new prog. The local prog over the air is limited to one show on Sunday nights through WMSE (student radio).

http://claim.to/planprog.html

Other newly discovered favs: Iluvatar and Ten Jinn.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Owner/Program Director

As far as finding a place to buy the music we play on AM - there is a list of suggested on-line places to buy on the home page, and the other alternative is to simply ask! Some things we play are literally one-of-a-kind, out of print, or ridiculously expensive, but many of them are actually easy to find. I can probably point you in the right direction, and will be happy to.

Iluvatar - www.kinesiscd.com
Ten Jinn - www.insideoutmusic.com
Zvinki's wish list - I think all are available on www.cduniverse.com

have fun!
Old 03-29-2003, 12:09 AM

ideas

My friend Chris Lamka runs an on-line CD shop - try osmind.com. Also, hooking up with Mike Potter at Orion Studios in Baltimore is a good bet.

I wonder if a Nearfest get-together of sorts would be an idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: