Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2019, 04:12 AM

Intelligent-Quozient

The first IQ concert
Name:  IQ010682ab.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  415.9 KB

Intelligent Quotient tour 2019
Name:  66592744_10touriq2019.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  144.3 KB

Finally I can attend an IQ concert

I bought the ticket very early.
In promotion for the new double album Resistance released on September 7th, IQ will start for a series of concerts around Europe ... 2 dates for Italy ... one near Rome and one near Milan ...
I would have liked to attend one of their concerts in a structure suited to their value…. And so much bigger and instead they will play in a club where you can dine before the concert ... .. if on the one hand I don't understand the choice ... on the other there is the advantage of having them a few meters away and being able to appreciate them more comfortably seated ... ..
I IQ (before The Lens) I met them with a bit of delay compared to their first albums although I also listen to a lot of music from groups that publish their albums even in very few copies….
I didn't understand at least 3 things about the IQ and I took advantage of this next concert to find information that
They covered the following points ...

1) The cause of the abandonment of Martin Orford co-founder of the IQ
2) The many years between an album and the next
3) Their concerts in micro structures

The first 2 points I clarified them by reading 3 interviews one with Martin Orford, one with Peter Nicholls and one with Mike Holmes

Name:  interviews012001.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  16.0 KB
The abandonment of Martin Orford co-founder of IQ

I was curious to understand why martin had abandoned the iq ... and holmes gave me the answer in an interview
Mike holmes is certainly fundamental for iq music as it was orford ... but 2 very similar characters eventually end up colliding and so it was ... Holmes claims that everyone has to present himself to the realization of an album with some realized music (for Resistance that will come out 120 minutes) and then through the meeting from the various loops or short tracks to give birth to the song…. Orford, on the other hand, presented himself with the complete piece and hence the clash that led to the separation.
practically Holmes disassembled the piece he had produced and at the end of the structure that had built Orford little remained and the piece took another form
Holmes, however, is sick of perfectionism and the apparent will to make everyone participate in the realization is only an illusion ... It is he who, after making a song, does not listen to it again for 2 months to see what his reaction to a new listening is and if he needs tweaks… .. he is always the one who inserts pieces of new songs in concerts to see the audience reaction and to understand if that song will be presented in the next album and the list of songs of the new album has been announced a few days ago, but the official length of the songs is not yet known and this is the yet another proof that holmes still has some doubts, we only know that it will be a double album and that in the second disc there are two tracks of about 20 minutes
To confirm the fact that it is difficult to get out of the iq something that holmes does not approve of ... .. in a new song has forced the drummer Paul Cook to try 30 solutions of rhythm for a song ... .. but to Mike Holmes as to Steven Wilson you can forgive similar behavior if as a result they give us excellent progressive music.

From the interview with Martin Orford I also learned why he will never again have personal albums ... ..
Martin Orford never make the mistake of asking him why he doesn't record more personal albums ... You risk being treated badly ... I read his interview where he lists the pounds spent on making his 2 albums and goes into the details of the expenses for the artists who collaborated ... to the expenses for the rehearsals .... to the expenses for the registration and recording of the album ... I expected the total amount to be higher, but Martin had not got what he hoped for from the sale. He lashes out against the Internet and therefore against the digital that allow you to easily listen to and download music and always with a poisoned tone he swears he will never again record a personal album…. Because he does not intend to spend pounds that could be better used for his family.
Sorry that Martin Orford has made this decision because his two albums are very beautiful and he would surely have recorded others of the same level or higher ... we will agree to follow him in JADIS when he decides to be there .... but you have to understand its reasons ... even if times have changed, with vinyl sales were assured ... but since it went digital ... groups or artists have to bet a lot on live shows

Their concerts in micro structures

.... And it is here that I do not understand the IQ that I consider of the same value as the great ones who made the history of the prog. But they do their concerts almost exclusively in clubs with places ranging from 1000 to almost 3000 ... for example in Italy they take place in two clubs that they want to have dinner before the concert ... If one takes into account that my ticket has cost a very low figure of only 25 euros and takes into account the expenses of the Club that hosts them and the costs of the band…. At the end of gain, some ridiculous figures come out…. And I can understand Mike Holmes when in another interview he says that before a live show they try to limit the tests of the lineup because they come to cost £ 600 a day for a single artist ... And here my question remains open ... Because they make few concerts and in small structures when it would be in their possibilities to fill much larger structures and increase profits ... Maybe it will be me, that by putting them at the top of my preferences I overestimate them but for their excellent music I find it hard not to put them on the same level as the big Progressive groups.
This curiosity of mine will somehow be able to remove it or ask them directly through their website or after the concert if they will do as on other occasions by talking to the public.

The many years between an album and the next

I've always wondered why we had to wait so long between one album and the next and I found 2 answers to this question ...
One is that Intelligen Quotient is not the only activity of these artists ... But they have another business activity, they love to live normally and this has allowed them to continue being together for many years .. apart from the incompatibility of character and art between Orford and Holmes
The second is that with the passing of the years Holmes has worsened considerably (as I have already explained in another part of this document) in creating more and more careful songs in the search for perfection being careful also to the fact that they can also be appreciated by the public and this of course is not easy to develop in not long times.

**** One last thing ... if I could have decided on the replacement of Martin Orford ... I would have confirmed Mark Westworth who gave us his contribution in the excellent album Frequency ... having decided to focus on Neil Durant didn't convince me much but I hope that contradicts me in this new album ... another thing that Neil Durant has to take care of is his stage presence (seen in many concerts on youtube) would be fine if he were a member of Tangerine Dream…. Too glacial in the expression that does not reveal any emotion .. I wish him to improve.

It only remains for me to wait for October 11th ......

a few more days and we will discover the new double album
by Intelligent Quotient

Name:  Resistance.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  131.1 KB
Studio Album, released in 2019 07 September

Songs / Tracks Listing
CD 1
1. A Missile
2. Stay Down
3. Rise
4. A Shallow Bay
5. If Anything
6. For Another Lifetime

CD 2
1. The Great Spirit Way
2. Fire and Security
3. Perfect Space
4. Fallout

Line-up / Musicians
- Peter Nicholls / vocals
- Mike Holmes / guitar
- Tim Esau / bass
- Paul Cook / drums
- Neil Durant / keyboards

Some albums in which past and present components of Intelligent Quotient participated

Ark - Wild Untamed Imaginings (2010) John Jowitt / bass
Time Collider - Travel Conspiracy (2018) John Jowitt / bass
Grey Lady Down - Fear (1997) Mark Westworth / keyboards
Grey Lady Down - Star - Crossed (2001) Mark Westworth / keyboards, 12 string, mellotron
DARWIN'S RADIO - Eyes Of The World (2006) Mark Westworth / keyboards, backing vocals
DARWIN'S RADIO - Template For A Generation (2009) Mark Westworth / keyboards
Jadis - Across The Water (1994) Martin Orford
Jadis - Medium Rare II (2019) Martin Orford
Jadis - More Than Meets The Eye (1992) Martin Orford
Jadis - Photoplay (2006) Martin Orford
Jadis - Understand (2000) Martin Orford
Martin Orford - Classical Music And Popular Songs (2000)
Martin Orford - The Old Road (2008)
Niadem's Ghost - In Sheltered Winds (1987) Peter Nicholls / vocals
Sphere3 - Comeuppance (2002) Neil Durant / synthesizers, mellotron
The Lens - A Word In Your Eye (2001) IQ
The Lens - Regeneration (2010) IQ

Last edited by nicola : 10-16-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: