Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Hackers, Lamers and Script Kiddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
Hello?! Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction. Harvey Keitel as "The Wolf" - "I solve problems"
Never saw it. I'm not much of a TV/film person. However, I certainly would NOT give patronage to any film with mouthpieces for the cult of scientology.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Hello?! Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction. Harvey Keitel as "The Wolf" - "I solve problems"
Thanks Jim for explaining it.

Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by progzealot View Post
Thanks Jim for explaining it.
Except that I still don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM

IT'S A COMPLIMENT!!!! (you sure know how to spoil a joke).

Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2008, 01:32 PM

First thanks for shutting down the script kiddies VAX, good job.

On the other hand, Linux is not a "toy", it's in use in enterprise systems all over the world from embedded systems to mainframes. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but all of Google runs on Linux and it's certainly one of the most heavily used sites in existence and I don't think I've ever seen Google go down, maybe it has, but I use it every day and it works very well. Amazon is now on Linux as well.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:18 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmckinley View Post
First thanks for shutting down the script kiddies VAX, good job.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmckinley View Post
On the other hand, Linux is not a "toy", it's in use in enterprise systems all over the world from embedded systems to mainframes. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but all of Google runs on Linux and it's certainly one of the most heavily used sites in existence and I don't think I've ever seen Google go down, maybe it has, but I use it every day and it works very well. Amazon is now on Linux as well.
Market penetration/application (quantity) does not correlate into quality. McDonald's, by that metric, would be the best food in the universe. We can argue in another thread.

The all or nothing security model wherein one gains all by a shared password is not security nor secure. Such mistakes were made in early OSs -- you know, the ones that existed before Billzebub Gates invented the computer and Al Gore invented the internet -- and more secure follow-ons were born out of the knowledge of those early mistakes. Layer upon that CRapache and then a gazillion lines of obfuscated scripts written by 14 yr. olds patting themselves on the back that what they've created is so cool that the application of sound software engineering principles would be unwarranted and sully their creative juju.

Those reading this need to google "security by/through obscurity". It
is considered a "non-principle" is real security engineering but it is an accept principle in these aforementioned cliques.

NO CODE whatsoever should run on my systems unless I say it should run. Case closed. The problem is trying to explain to people that it doesn't have to be any other way is difficult because they haven't seen it any other way. It's like explaining the color orange to somebody blind from birth. There are concepts out there as revolutionary and evolutionary as the view of the world from Archimedes to Newton and Newton to Einstein.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 04-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Mr. Wolf solves problems. From now on, VAX, I'm calling you Mr. Wolf.

Ok, I have no idea what all you just said in the main post, but Mr. Wolf, I'm glad you totally rocked that lamer's butt back to BASIC training. Excellent.

10 SAY VAXMAN ROCKS
20 GO TO 10

VAXman, you are Mr. Wolf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPsHKpti48
(warning: adult language, I believe, is the term).
Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
Mr. Wolf solves problems. From now on, VAX, I'm calling you Mr. Wolf.

Ok, I have no idea what all you just said in the main post, but Mr. Wolf, I'm glad you totally rocked that lamer's butt back to BASIC training. Excellent.

10 SAY VAXMAN ROCKS
20 GO TO 10

VAXman, you are Mr. Wolf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPsHKpti48
(warning: adult language, I believe, is the term).
Please don't. It will make me think of the clams.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Market penetration/application (quantity) does not correlate into quality. McDonald's, by that metric, would be the best food in the universe. We can argue in another thread.
I wasn't referring to market penetration, Linux is still relatively low on that metric, but site user load does matter, not only is it a measure of scalability, but with the number of users likely trying to hack google and amazon, it does demonstrate that Linux can be made robust, even if the standard ubuntu or fedora or whatever distro isn't terribly robust "out of the box". I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that both google and amazon use their own distros.

Quote:
Layer upon that CRapache and then a gazillion lines of obfuscated scripts written by 14 yr. olds patting themselves on the back that what they've created is so cool that the application of sound software engineering principles would be unwarranted and sully their creative juju.
Well Crapache, as you call it, is also used to serve many high volume sites (maybe more than any other HTTP server) and can be made robust, but probably not by using scripts/configs made by 14 year olds, same as above.

Quote:
NO CODE whatsoever should run on my systems unless I say it should run. Case closed. The problem is trying to explain to people that it doesn't have to be any other way is difficult because they haven't seen it any other way. It's like explaining the color orange to somebody blind from birth. There are concepts out there as revolutionary and evolutionary as the view of the world from Archimedes to Newton and Newton to Einstein.
OK, no argument there, but in case you aren't already aware, you can not only compile your own linux kernel and disable anything you don't want, but you can in fact create your own linux distribution so that you know exactly what is running and/or installed on the box. You can even compile the whole distro from source if you want so you can set all the make parameters. It's a lot of work and I doubt you have the time or inclination (I considered doing it once but decided I didn't want to deal with it), but in case you are interested here's a couple links that describe how to do it:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...questid=170220

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

There are other HOWTOs as well, a google search for "roll your own linux distro" will yield many, but the infoweek one describes using an existing distro to start. Linux From Scratch is the whole enchilada and is referenced by the infoweek article also. Another option is BSD which builds from source by default and is the base of OS X IIRC, maybe you'd prefer that. I dunno if it's really worth it to roll your own, there are good distros out there that can be made secure, we use SUSE for our servers at work I think, but it is an option.

Not trying to make more work for ya bro, I really appreciate what you do for us on the Moon, just passing along the info.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
and Al Gore invented the internet
There always been a few misnomers that have bothered me. One is the fact that the 2nd Amendment gives you the right to bear arms (it does not, however, the right has been legislated throught time and is valid).

It's sad how things like this have been passed on throughout time as fact.

I have always been an Al Gore fan. Even though no politician is perfect, and most are not even close, I have admired his positions. I always thought this statement was wrong - I can't believe someone would be as stupid as to say something so blatantly false, and it turns out he never did. I'd never checked before, and I finally decided to.

Follow these links and you will see how the words were taken out of context. Agreed, the context is somewhat self-serving, but I don't believe most of what politicians say anyway.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://www.sethf.com/gore/

Before you say I selectively picked these links, bear in mind that the first page when I googled it all defended the misquote.

Same thing happens to a lot of Bush quotes too. So while I appreciate your hard work and and generally find the politics/Microsoft bashing amusing (although a bit tiresome), you have to agree that this is just a false label to hang.

Of course, if you still want to quote him as such, go for it - everyone else does. they're not smart enough to think for themselves, they just quote what they hear as fact, to get a laugh. F'in hardy har har.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 04-12-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
There always been a few misnomers that have bothered me. One is the fact that the 2nd Amendment gives you the right to bear arms (it does not, however, the right has been legislated throught time and is valid).
Recent SCOTUS decision upheld the right to keep and bear arms. There has not been an opinion handed down yet regarding the regulation thereof.

Quote:
I have always been an Al Gore fan. Even though no politician is perfect, and most are not even close, I have admired his positions. I always thought this statement was wrong - I can't believe someone would be as stupid as to say something so blatantly false, and it turns out he never did. I'd never checked before, and I finally decided to.

Follow these links and you will see how the words were taken out of context. Agreed, the context is somewhat self-serving, but I don't believe most of what politicians say anyway.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
We all know what he said. Al Gore is an egomaniacal histrionic idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gore
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.
Right from your link and the transcript of the Wolf Blitzer interview. No level of revisionist history will change it... save for perhaps usenet alt.history.revisionism.

Sorry, but by 1991 the internet was well established. I had an email address as early as 1983.

The earliest RFC for the "internet" is dated 1969. Vint Cerf (one of the true father's of the internet) wrote his first RFC (RFC 13) in 1969.

1976 DEC released the 4 PLA LSI-11 which enjoyed widespread employment as one of the first packet switches (routers) for most of the internet. IIRC, Al Gore was elected for his first term in the House in 1976. Does Al drive a DeLorean with a flux capacitor?

ARPAnet, MILnet, NSFnet... all existed before Al Gore.

in 1987 I was managing an entire class B subnet of the internet.

What Al Gore did -- well, congress -- was to open the door for AOL and others after we (the US) were bested by CIX creating Endless September. This post is dated: 5338 Sept. 1993

Quote:
Before you say I selectively picked these links, bear in mind that the first page when I googled it all defended the misquote.

Same thing happens to a lot of Bush quotes too. So while I appreciate your hard work and and generally find the politics/Microsoft bashing amusing (although a bit tiresome), you have to agree that this is just a false label to hang.
So what? Nothing false. He said it!

Quote:
Of course, if you still want to quote him as such, go for it - everyone else does. they're not smart enough to think for themselves, they just quote what they hear as fact, to get a laugh. F'in hardy har har.
You've completely missed the humor. Al Gore tried to usurp a claim upon something he had nothing to do with and those, like myself, who had and have been developing, managing and using the internet before his statement, find it humorous to be sardonic.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Patron

Rick, ONE thing that most people misunderstand about the 2nd amendment is that it gives us protection against all tyranny, even our own government...it is one of our most powerful rights, read it completely
Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 PM

I understand Gort and agree about the importance (haven't seen you for awhile by the way)...but what I meant was is that the 2nd in and of itself does not give the individual the right to have a gun. Many people hide behind that when they carry loaded guns in their cars. I've heard that line too many times. I'm not making it up, one of the ballplayers said it a few weeks ago. He was asked about his practice of carring guns in his vehicle, which upset his former team, and he said "I take the 2nd amendmant rights very seriously".

It's just not in the 2nd, that's all I said...

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 04-12-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 PM

vax said: "What Al Gore did -- well, congress -- was to open the door for AOL and others after we (the US) were bested by CIX creating Endless September. This post is dated: 5338 Sept. 1993"

Correct.

Vax, following the link, the three sentences below that quote explain what he meant. He never said he invented the internet, just created an environment for it to grow. Agreed, that's a pompous thing to say. And I believe he regretted that (at least I hope he did). It's very evident what was meant by reading the whole thing.

This isn't Hillary Clinton, who misrepresented the "danger" landing in Bosnia.

Like I said, you can quote it all you want....follow the sheep.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:47 AM
Owner/Program Director

Is it too much to ask to not bring up politics in the forums? Just asking...
Old 04-13-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
The earliest RFC for the "internet" is dated 1969. Vint Cerf (one of the true father's of the internet) wrote his first RFC (RFC 13) in 1969.
Also the year when the first ever messages were exchanged over ARPANET.

For historical curiosity: http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~lk/first_words.html

-Methem
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Is it too much to ask to not bring up politics in the forums? Just asking...
No, it's not. I'm fairly inactive in news and events, so I miss a lot. For instance, people have a fascination for Ron Paul. In the Salem Hill groups on Yahoo, many of the subscribers stand by him. I was trying to get some information to see what the big attraction was, and the moderator pretty much said the same thing, Jim. Seems that there was a big to do some time ago about religion/politics and they didn't want to re-open old wounds.

What was disappointing was that I really wanted a discussion - all you hear is one-sided (each way) and it is difficult to get real information. And even Carl Groves (Salem Hill, who's active in the thread) thought the discussion would have been worthwhile. But as usual, my busy lifestyle won out and I figured it wasn't worth it. The same will happen here.

A bit of a shame, because Methem comes up with some really interesting stuff (also he's emailed me all kinds of varied music items, and his buildings thread here is fascinating).

I continue to search for the person/group that can discuss religion and politics without getting their dander up. Thanks for the reminder Jim, I'll keep these items out of the forums.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 04-13-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methem View Post
Also the year when the first ever messages were exchanged over ARPANET.

For historical curiosity: http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~lk/first_words.html

-Methem
They've come a long way since using canaries (see the bottom of the link). Now I hear it's seagulls.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
vax said: "What Al Gore did -- well, congress -- was to open the door for AOL and others after we (the US) were bested by CIX creating Endless September. This post is dated: 5338 Sept. 1993"

Correct.

Vax, following the link, the three sentences below that quote explain what he meant. He never said he invented the internet, just created an environment for it to grow. Agreed, that's a pompous thing to say. And I believe he regretted that (at least I hope he did). It's very evident what was meant by reading the whole thing.
The fact is that he made the statement and I'm not the first to make light of his histrionic blabbermouthing. When I find Al's name in an amongst the documents maintained by the IETF and IANA (deprecated) -- where you will find my name -- I'll give him a little leeway.

Quote:
Like I said, you can quote it all you want....follow the sheep.
Sheep? It's sardonic humor. I noticed you didn't pick on the sardonic jab at Bill Gates. Time Magazine's Top 100 listed him as creating the computer.

Anyway, now that this thread has been hijacked into politics, guns, policing, Salem Hill and Carl Groves, and scientology movies, I suppose the initial precept of the thread has been lost.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Progger since 1966

Quote:
I continue to search for the person/group that can discuss religion and politics without getting their dander up.
Hey Rick! Whasssupp, heard any Interesting News Lately?