Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #141 - Achante and Sensations Fix

COTM – Feature #142 – Acanthe and Sensations Fix

Greetings, Mooniverse. Dale here with your weekly instalment of Corner of the Mooniverse, the Aural Moon show that helps you find old, but new to you music.

This week we go to France for a little known group named Acanthe. They are one of those lost one-off treasures we want to find. The group was started in Grenoble, France around 1973 and lasted until 1977. At the time, they had not really released an album, but they did recordings of their material. These were rediscovered in the past 10 years or so and with the help of Frédéric Leoz, the original writer/composer for the group, the album Someone Somewhere was put together. This project was pushed forward by Musea records as they strive to bring the great 70’s Progressive Rock of France to the public. The album was actually released in 2009, but the material comes from around 1974. The music is a splendid blend of all the majors (Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Ange, etc.) with very imaginative and inspirational ideas. We will certainly wonder “what if they had produced the album in the 70’s” I think you’ll like this ‘new to you’ album.

In 1969 the Italian musician Franco Falsini left Italy to move to Virginia in the USA. There he built himself a small basement studio and began experimenting with the newly developed Moog. He developed his ideas of the next few years and then returned to Italy to form a band after receiving an offer from Polydor records. In 1974 he was joined by American Keith Edwards on drums and bassist Richard Ursillo, formerly of Campo di Marte. In that first year they release 3 albums. First was today’s album Fragments of Light. Polydor also released Portable Madness later that year as well as an eponymously named album based on the promo tapes by Falsini.

Again, we have a group that only lasted about 3 years but carry a significant sound that many people never heard at the time. I am currently tracking down a copy of Portable Madness to bring to the Moon. Perhaps I’ll play that in a later show. In the meantime, I think you’ll enjoy their 1974 album Fragments of light.

Well, that’s the show. Well, almost…. I’m going to start with side one of Yes’ most ambitious project up to that year.

See you on the radio.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 PM
Patron

Re: COTM - #141 - Achante and Sensations Fix

Thanks again for taking us on your journey into the unknown depths of Prog.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: