Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2001, 03:20 AM

Thumbs up Dream Theater

Hi there! Ok, just want to make a suggestion of a band that I think that deserves to be in here. Dream Theater; a great album that I recommend, is Metropolis Pt2 - Scenes From A Memory.

Their website: www.dreamtheater.net
Old 11-07-2001, 12:22 PM

Breakin' it to ya easy

I feel ya man. But the folks here don't want DT. I'm all for it, but apparently there is a heaviness barrier. AM has Ayreon, and Rush and KC get a little loud at times, but that's about it. there's very little heavy stuff here. I've made the point before that "progressive" doesn't mean "non-hard," but that doesn't seem to go anywhere. I've been trying to get selected King's X tracks on - not happening. They do have some Platypus though (King's X, Dream Theater, and Dixie Dregs collab - BTW, new Platypus album coming out soon). You can try and try and try to get them to add DT, but you will be fighting and uphill battle. Sorry. I'm all for it (I like that little word, variety), but don't get your hopes up. Try the radio station Progged sometime. BTW, if you like DT and want to step up the heaviness, may I recomment the Prog-Core stylings of Strecth Arm Strong? Check out thier second album RITUALS OF LIFE. It's darn good. I don't have their first or third ones yet, so I can't say. Also, you might want to check out the album DRAWING BLACK LINES by Project 86.

Yesspaz out.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:07 PM

Cool DT

no problem! thanks anyway... and to anybody that thinks that progressive rock means non-hard music, my consentments... if progressive rock was that, it could never progress to anywhere... that's the same that thinkin' that symphonic rock is only about the sweet tunes from Camel... wich is so, but so wrong!! and by the way, Dream Theater have some "soft" themes!!! listen to Metropolis Pt2, or Awake, and you'll understand that! (:

by the way... where's that Progged radio station??
Old 11-07-2001, 02:17 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
This subject comes up from time to time. We're not afraid to get hard, as long as it's progressive. It has been my contention that DT is the least progressive rock band there is that is considered so (well, maybe Queensryche is up there, too). Ayreon, Rush, Mago de Oz, and others we all play because although they're hard, they're also clearly creative and progressive.

Please point us to a DT song that you consider progressive. I'd actually like to hear what you have to say.

Avian
Old 11-07-2001, 02:58 PM

Cool DT

Have you already hear A Change Of Seasons? The first chapter "The Crimson Sunrise" is clearly progressive, or "The Crimson Sunset". Or maybe, listen to Metropolis PT 2, Scenes From A Memory, the theme Erotomania, or the Overture, those are all themes where you can easilly find progressive indexes. and... Queensryche is NOT progressive.

ledz
Old 11-07-2001, 06:38 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
The last time this discussion came up, a listener told me to go get Images and Words and When Dream and Day Unite. Based on these two albums, I definately gave a thumbs down. I'll try and get a hold of the tracks you mentioned.

Avian
Old 11-08-2001, 03:58 AM

Cool DT

Images and Words, is definitely a good album, but with very few progressive indexes... if DT were only those two albums, I would have to agree with you, because they decline to something like metal rock, or something worse; but take a look at those tracks i mentioned, then, say something ok?

(:

ledz
Old 11-08-2001, 08:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Another reason they're not here, I'm sure, is that with as large of a fan base as they have, DT would fast become the new Yes/Genesis terror on AM.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:31 AM
Owner/Program Director

They'll always be over-requested bands, so we can live with that. If we find DT tracks/albums that we consider prog, they'll find their way on the station.

It still amuses me that people say we don't play "hard" music on AM. What we don't play is music where "hard" is the ONLY positive adjective you can use.

Stay tuned...
Old 11-08-2001, 01:29 PM
Owner Emeritus

Amen, brother Jim...

Plus, there are at least three other internet progressive rock stations that specialize in prog metal and hard prog rock. They play Queensryche, Shadow Gallery, Tool, Dream Theater, and others.

So, we're "the other white meat."

Avian
Old 11-08-2001, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It still amuses me that people say we don't play "hard" music on AM. What we don't play is music where "hard" is the ONLY positive adjective you can use.
I guess maybe my point of view on hard, being somwhat younger than most progressive fans (22), is that what many people consider heavy, I do not. Rush is not heavy, IMO. Tool is not really that heavy. Stretch Arm Strong, Project 86, and Stavesacre are heavy, but I would never try to get any of those on here, except a couple of Stavesacre songs, which I gave up on a long time ago (BTW, these bands are only semi-prog - I've yet to hear a truly Progressive hard-core band, although I've heard that Roadside Monument fits the bill - I must check them out).

So when I say AM doesn't have much that is heavy, I'm speaking in relative terms. Obviously 2112 and THRAK are way heavier that anything by Mike Oldfield, three artists I love. But compare to Stretch Arm Strong, et al., 2112 is easy listening.

As to the quote
Quote:
What we don't play is music where "hard" is the ONLY positive adjective you can use.
, I can only say a few things. As to Dream Theater, as I've stated before, I actually don't own any of thier albums. I've got two songs as MP3's. I absolutely hate the song "The Spirit Carries On" because the stinks. However, the instrumental "The Dance of Eternity" absolutely kicks. Here are my positive adjectives: Intricate; driving; traded solos by guitar, bass, and keyboards; mastery of the respective instruments; and a flat-out jam. I like it. It's relatively heavy (2112 heavy, not Stretch heavy). It's progressive. So Avian and Jim, get an MP3 of "The Dance of Eternity" and try it. Mind you, it's "busy," which has been an objection of some members.

Regardless, Avian and Jim, keep up the good work.

And Ledz, here's a link for you: http://www.progradio.net/

Yesspaz out.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:50 AM

DT tracks

I can give u some DT tracks, I've got almost all of the albums, so if you wish I can even send u a cd by email.

and, thanks Yesspaz
Old 11-19-2001, 12:08 AM

Thumbs up I've turned a 180 on this band...

I used to hate em, I even posted here that I don't want to see them added.. but this streaming broadcast converted me...

http://www.hob.com/onlinemusic/conce....asp?conid=250

It's hard to say that too little of this does not fall under the category of prog. I'm all for selectively adding some tracks nowadays .

-Jazs
Old 11-19-2001, 01:01 AM

By the way thanks for adding Jordan Rudess's
Feeding the Wheel : )

-Jazz
Old 02-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Owner/Program Director

Heaviness barrier?

Hey Yesspaz,

Well, I've been meaning to post this for awhile.

I said quite awhile ago, something to the effect that there isn't a "heaviness barrier" on AM. Well, in listening to some of your suggestions, and re-thinking my felings, I guess you're right - there is a heaviness barrier. What drove that home was:

"Rush is not heavy, IMO. Tool is not really that heavy."

As I've listened to Tool (other people have suggested them BTW), and other "heavy" bands, I realize that there's no way some of these guys are going to make it on to AM (Tool could, though it's improbable). Dream Theater (who started the whole discussion) is not too heavy - but they still don't make it under my prog "limbo" stick.

So, I promise I'll always keep my mind open (I swear, that's how I got this job), but don't hold your breath - anything heavier than Tool is not likely going to be featured on AM

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Owner/Program Director

Jazs: I used to hate em, I even posted here that I don't want to see them added.. but this streaming broadcast converted me...

http://www.hob.com/onlinemusic/conc...t.asp?conid=250

progdirjim: the first six minutes are great - what happens 6:20 into this video? prior to that = prog; after that = not prog. C'mon, a nice (I admit it) five minute jam doesn't make a heavy metal band prog. Why do you guys think DT is prog?!
Old 02-01-2002, 04:11 AM

Dream Theater

that's not keeping a mind open... that's being ceptical... but hey! it's your radio, so don't bother...... and Tool, is not, by any way, progressive rock... so, I just don't know what the %#"$ does that METAL band have to do with Dream Theater, or Liquid Tension Experiment..... keeping your radio with the old-style progressive, you shouldn't even call it progressive! And I must say, it falls much more to symphonic rock... why not add a few Camel songs?....

keep your ears up...

cya
Old 02-01-2002, 12:28 PM

Tool is pretty progressive at times. There biggest influence is 80's King Crimson. At least that's what they say. Meynard once said that he sees Tool as taking up the mantel of Yes and King Crimson in that they are a rock band making music for the left brain (speaking of..., what's up the cover of Hemispheres by Rush? Left brain, yes, but where's the right brain music on that album?) Anyhoozal, I'm not a huge DT fan, not a huge Tool fan, am a huge Stavesacre fan, relatively big Stretch Arm Strong fan (prog-core, now that's heavy prog), but I have the cds, so if they get added, great, but if not, how cares?

I like music.

Yesspaz out.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Owner/Program Director

I went and listened to the video clip - I'd say that's open minded. And as far as the station goes - we have music from over 500 artists, spanning from the mid sixties to 2002 (not including the few classical pieces from way back when), from all corners of the globe. So I don't think it's accurate to say we are limited to old style progressive. In fact, if there's a station that plays more variety than we do, I'd appreciate hearing about them, because I'll listen to them!
Old 02-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Owner/Program Director

DT - Dance of Eternity

Yesspaz wrote: However, the instrumental "The Dance of Eternity" absolutely kicks.

I listened to the thirty seconds of this CD Universe has - and that's really good - someone want to e-mail the MP3 of the entire song? If it's all as good as what I heard, we'll add it to the station...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: