Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > New Moon
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
No clue anymore

YES. The straight dope

http://heavyrocktheplaylist.blogspot...t-in-july.html

Quintessential prog-rockers Yes have announced that they have reunited with legendary producer Trevor Horn for their highly anticipated new album, "Fly From Here". The album marks the band's first studio album in ten years.

The album originated from a conversation between Horn and Yes bassist Chris Squire, who re-discovered the song 'Fly From Here' and realized that it had never been recorded in a studio. "Chris and I were talking one evening about the song 'Fly From Here' that we never recorded," explains Horn. "I said I was prepared to spend two weeks with Yes recording that song. When I arrived in America to record it, I was taken prisoner by the band and only allowed my freedom again in return for producing the whole album. It was an offer I couldn't refuse!"

"Fly From Here" retains Yes' signature brand of mysticism and large-scale compositions. The record contains plenty of the complex arrangements, beautiful harmonies, and heavy riffs the band is known for. "The new album represents the best of Yes from the '70s and the '80s with a current twist," said Squire.

Keyboardist Geoff Downes, who originally joined the band for 1980's "Drama,", has also re-joined the band for the new album. Yes now consists of guitarist Steve Howe, bassist Chris Squire, drummer Alan White, keyboardist Downes, and lead singer Benoit David.

With total sales of over 30 million albums, Yes are widely considered to be the pioneers of the prog-rock movement.

The group is also known for radio classics such as "Roundabout", a seminal hit that consistently appears on 'the best songs of all time' lists, and the Horn-produced hit "Owner of a Lonely Heart". The latter song reached the top of both the UK and US singles charts simultaneously.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me

Last edited by TheFish : 04-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Patron

Re: YES. The straight dope

we will have to wait to see what it really sounds like, I remember the same hype for genesis when Ray Wilson took over, the LP eneded up sounding more like a Tong Banks solo LP than anything else IMHO. But with that being said I still hold out hope for a great new CD from YES.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM

I gotta admit, this is getting me a little excited.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
la familia patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
I gotta admit, this is getting me a little excited.
Maybe ....... we shall see.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 AM
KeithieW

Ditto what Kurt said.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to Thor

The actual title of the song is "And We Can Fly From Here"...

it is a previously unreleased Buggles song that Trevor and Geoffry brought to Yes when they joined for the Drama album
This song was since released on the 2010 re-release of the 1981 Buggles Album "Adventures In Modern Recording" in two separate parts at 9 mins long.
So I don't know where they are getting the idea it was never published??

Here is The Buggles performing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLku...eature=related

Yes used to perform it live on the Drama tour... it was only a so so song.
here is a link to it being performed by Yes [audio only] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5N_UiWI-cg

om namah shivaya
om gan ganapataye namah
om aim saraswataye namah
om shrim mahalaxmaye

Last edited by Thor : 04-04-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Patron

I don't believe the word "And" is in the song title, but I going by memory. The song on the new Yes album keeps the same name (without the "And") and the song clocks in at over 20 minutes.

The Yes version that you mention above can also be found on the live box set "In a Word - Live"

If anyone is interested you can find the most up-to-date yes news here: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm

Last edited by Magic Mountain : 04-04-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Patron

yeah your right, it is called "We Can Fly From Here" no And... though they do sing it as And we can fly from here.

om namah shivaya
om gan ganapataye namah
om aim saraswataye namah
om shrim mahalaxmaye
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 PM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
I don't believe the word "And" is in the song title, but I going by memory. The song on the new Yes album keeps the same name (without the "And") and the song clocks in at over 20 minutes.

The Yes version that you mention above can also be found on the live box set "In a Word - Live"

If anyone is interested you can find the most up-to-date yes news here: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm
I have several boots from the tour and TH does say 'And'

It's interesting to note that each boot is different in some way. A longer lead in on one verses added or missing on others. Longer break, etc. Shows they were experimenting with the song during the tour.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Well I hope this version of Yes is good because I just bought tickets for the July 26 concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater - 4th row with Styx warming up. Oh, by the way, it also happens to be my birthday.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff_Drummer View Post
Well I hope this version of Yes is good because I just bought tickets for the July 26 concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater - 4th row with Styx warming up. Oh, by the way, it also happens to be my birthday.
Saw Styx 18 months ago. Setlist was every song on the Greatest Hits except Mr. Roboto, Babe, and Don't Let It End, plus one cover. The cover, an obscure song from the 1960's called "I Am the Walrus," was "shockingly" the best song of the concert. They nailed it. I was 3rd row that night, and it was tremendous fun to hear 10,000 people behind me and surrounding me singing the "WHOOO!" parts.

Last edited by Yesspaz : 04-09-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Patron

To each their own... but Styx would be the deciding factor in my decision to not go, or show up late to avoid that band. That Dennis DeYoung guy really annoys me not only with his playing, but his remarks about his peers in the music industry. He outright called Rick Wakeman a poor excuse of a keyboardist in an Rolling Stone Mag. interview once for example. what an ass.

om namah shivaya
om gan ganapataye namah
om aim saraswataye namah
om shrim mahalaxmaye
Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 AM
No clue anymore

DeYoung hasn't been with the band for a really long time.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
That Dennis DeYoung guy really annoys me not only with his playing, but his remarks about his peers in the music industry. He outright called Rick Wakeman a poor excuse of a keyboardist in an Rolling Stone Mag. interview once for example. what an ass.
Yeah, he's a tool, and the rest of the band kicked him out. They've got a sound-a-like for him and he's the most dead-on sound-a-like I've ever heard. Benoit David is not Jon Anderson. Steve Augeri and Arnel Pineda are not Steve Perry. But this dude, whatever his name is (too lazy to check wikipedia) is a superb improvement over DeYoung.

But yeah, they kicked him out. It was his braindead idea to do plays between songs. Note that the band, now without him, refuses to play Babe and Roboto. They kicked his butt to the curb because he was more egotistical, self-absorbed, delusional, and domineering than Roger Waters ever even dreamed of being. Roger would have told him to tone it down.

Don't hold it against the current Styx. They've having more fun playing now than ever. I mean there was literal joy in the whole show. They were having a blast playing.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Patron

I think his name is Lawrence Gowan (not sure about the first name). He had a big solo career in Canada under the name Gowan. What is interesting to progressive rock fans is that one of the albums that he released in the 80s, Alex Lifeson of Rush was the guitarist on the album. The name of the album is "Lost Brotherhood."
Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 AM

Yep, you're right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Gowan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: