Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Ultravox's Vienna

I've probably suggested this before, but it bears repeating.

Ultravox was (is -- I understand there's some version of the band still rattling around) a New Wavy-artiste band from the late 70s, with John Foxx running the show. Foxx abandoned ship after three quirky, very well done, but non-prog albums. Midge Ure joined up and for one brief, glorious moment Ultravox brought New Wave/"cold wave" and progressive music together in their album "Vienna." Think Roxy Music and David Bowie hopping up and going clubbing. Fans of Bowie's Eno period ("Heroes," "Low," and "Lodger") will like this album.

Not all the tracks would suit AM, but I'd suggest the following tracks: "Mr. X" (spacey "film noir" track -- there's also a German version, "Herr X"), "Western Promise" (high-test prog/New Wave), perhaps "Private Lives" (high on the New Wave contingent, but nice piano and synths), and especially "Astradyne," a terrific and very proggy instrumental track. The title song was a big hit in Europe, and also worth a listen.

After "Vienna," Ultravox became more of a pre-techno dance band with nothing I can recommend for AM listeners, but the "Vienna" album is worth some thought towards inclusion.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Owner/Program Director

definite maybe

I sort of remember liking this album. Don't recall thinking of it as prog. hmmm. maybe I'll buy it and see.. .
Old 11-23-2005, 08:15 AM

Re: Ultravox's Vienna

It's "fringe prog." Even the critics knew it was proggy without coming out and saying it -- the ones who liked it called it things like "majestic" and "monumental" (or "monolithic," whatever that means), and everyone who disliked it called it "pompous." We've heard all THAT before.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: