Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2001, 01:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Talking I wanna start an argument...

Today, I was listening in to AM for a little while, and the track playing was Genesis's "Lamb..." side 2 (it had a big skip in it, but that's for another post). I listened for a while, then came back from lunch to hear Side 3 being played. I listen to AM almost every workday, and it seems that every day, without fail, someone requests a couple of sides of this classic prog album.

Now, in the same vein as Jim's earlier post about the AM audience requesting too much Yes and Genesis, I suggest that the recently added album-side suites of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" be removed from the request list, along with any other mainstream epic run-in mixes that could be or already are broken up into their smaller pieces (with the exception of two-minute-or-less instrumental intro pieces).

My reasoning? I don't know many casual Yes or Genesis fans, do you? I suspect most of AM's audience are either not that fond of the groups (but why would you be here, then?), or are pretty fanatical about 'em. You sing along, you air guitar (or keyboard, if you're like me), you even own a few albums. You are most likely an intensive progressive music fan. And being such, do you really need to hear music that you already SHOULD own? I mean, if you are a Genesis fan, how could you NOT own "The Lamb...?" If you dig Yes, wouldn't you be INSANE not to own "Close to the Edge?" I think, if you're listening in and you have a hankering for some "mutton on the street," you can request one track from it. I have my favorites, and other stuff I'd rather skip over to get to those favorites.

So, I feel, much like the program director suggested, that AM is for exploring new types of music, trying new sounds, throwing in a classic every ONCE IN A WHILE, discovering what works for you and what doesn't, and (most importantly) why it does or not. I don't find much excitement in listening to half a CD that I already own (and I suspect most listeners do too) while waiting to hear something with which I have no idea what to expect. Making the audience sit through the same ol' BS (even tho it isn't s___) day-in, day-out when we could all be trying something new, should not be the goal of the request list. That's why I feel some of these 20+ minute tracks don't need to be on the list.

I do believe that some of the live run-in stuff is great to hear, but only if it is truly different from the studio. I think Genesis themselves actually said that "Lamb" had very few places for improvisation and variation when being played live ("The Waiting Room" being their only example). And I do realize that some tracks were not meant to be shortened, and that's OK too. To cut up "Dogs" or "The Gates of Delirium" would be really lame and crappy. But the people who should be requesting tracks like these should be folks that are brand new to the bands and/or progressive music and are thinking, "I've heard some of their stuff, but what on Earth could they possibly be singing/playing about for TWENTY-THREE BLEEPIN' MINUTES!?!?" Then their curiousity should get the better of them and they should request it, and we'll all (the rest of us) get the treat of an epic we haven't heard in a while, and the satisfaction of knowing there's a newbie out there who is getting his first taste of a truly mind-blowing experience. Then when he's taking his breather/nap/fetal position in the corner, we can enjoy some more new stuff so that we might also feel like him. IMHO, that's what Progressive Rock is all about.

RANT OVER

PLEASE respond to this post and tell me what you think!
Old 08-07-2001, 02:02 PM
Owner/Program Director

No argument from me!

Well said, Powerslave!

Hey you! the guy that requests "The Lamb" every day - you listening? Buy the damn CD!

Really, there's a lot of good music you haven't heard of on AM - check it out.

Now, I'm not sure I want to remove the sides of "the Lamb", but Avian and I are discussing some ways to avoid the "same old BS" syndrome. But it's always a challenge, balancing what I think people should hear, and want people think they want to hear.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:38 AM

It's happening again!

Currently on side 2 as I post this message. I love it, but...

DUDE, YOU ARE KILLING ME! I BEG YOU, PLEASE EXPAND YOUR MIND! STOP THE INSANITY! TRY SOMETHING NEW!
Old 08-08-2001, 10:08 AM

Angry Oh no, not again!

Side 4 right now. No kidding. I get the feeling someone's really enjoying this. At least request 'em in order, if you must continue. At least this track's got my favorite keyboard solo. At least I haven't lost my mind yet. At least, I hope I haven't. This is insane. Don't make me lose my mind. Please. Please don't make me never want to hear this album again. I throw myself on your mercy; please try something new.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:27 PM

It ain't me, but....

...I'll be glad to make a copy of it for you (whoever you are)
Old 08-11-2001, 02:35 AM
Owner/Program Director

A bribe

Good idea, BT!

OK, if you can give me a GOOD reason why you request Yes and/or Genesis continually instead of buying it, I'll tape it and mail it to you, on the condition that you stop requesting it. (I promise, but it's got to be a GOOD reason.)

Today I was getting sick of "Close To The Edge" - a request actually came through WHILE IT WAS PLAYING! It's a great song, but c'mon. I let the request go through a third time a few hours later.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:45 AM

Hey...if they can afford to listen to the music on AM (even if they're just using a modem), they can afford the cds....I think, at this point, they're just doing it to fuck with you.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:20 PM
skunkonius

Question Longer 'just played' list.

I was wondering if we could see a longer list of previously played (possibly 4+ hours???) That way I can feel good that I'm not requesting a track which played a couple of hours ago. My tastes are more toward the longer tracks and I would hate to take up a 20 minute slot with a track that had played recently. I know the SAM keeps track of recently played - but I'm not sure what the time interval for 'recently' is.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:48 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
We can do that. Good suggestion.

Avian
Old 08-14-2001, 01:55 PM
Fossils are Rock!

Good suggestion for a longer list of what has recently played. I was thinking the same thing, but in the opposite direction. How about letting us know what's coming up in the near future?
Old 08-14-2001, 02:18 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
This request has come up before, and some internet radio stations do this. Here's a few reasons why not:

In my opinion, it violates the RIAA internet broadcasting agreement that all of us must adhere to. You can't announce exactly what song or artist will play at a certain time. Although there's a way around this technically.

The other factor is that we change what the next song will be all the time. As we edit requests (get rid of that fourth Yes request in a row, etc), or think of something better that might follow the current song, we just queue it up and away it goes. So, the "next" song might not be the next song at all in many cases.

I always though the great thing about radio was that you DIDN'T know what was coming up next. It's always a surprise!

Thoughts?

Avian

Old 08-14-2001, 05:20 PM
Fossils are Rock!

You make persuasive points, Avian. I am persuaded to agree based on the surprise factor alone. In addition, I always argue against inviting legal problems.

For the sake of argument, here are points on the other side.

1.) Apparently, there are those who don't want to hear a bunch of Yes, Genesis, or (insert name) in a row. The suggestion for a longer recently played list is good for avoiding repeats. A look-ahead list does the same thing.
BTW, when I first started listening to AM, I naively assumed that the 'community' of AM listeners kind of mutually and silently agreed to follow musical threads. A bunch of Gong tunes in a short period, for instance, can't be random. This afternoon, I heard (by someone else's request, I swear) a Tony Levin song, soon followed by the classic 'Elephant Talk' by KC. It was great to hear them, even though I already own both CD's. After hearing them, I was tempted to request a BLS, but decided against it given the recent forum climate.

2.) If I were able to see that there exists two hours of songs already queued and I simply won't have time to wait for anything I request, then I wouldn't request, leaving the lines open for those who will be around to hear what they want to hear. Note that this is another point based on my naivete'. I once expected folks wanted to hear the things they requested, not promote their favorite band, or p.o. the program director. (You wise men don't know what it's like to be thick as a brick, or as naive as a, uh, Junior Member of AM.)

3.) The most important point is saved for last. Either way, look-ahead or not, is fine with me. AM has the best line-up of material anywhere. Everything I've heard is great, even Genesis' 'Lamb' a copy of which I have owned since it came out. (I haven't requested it, I swear, check the logs. I admit to requesting 'Fly on a Windshield' once, however.) Anyway, by far the best feature of AM is the request line. Through it I've discovered Blue Man Group, Michael Gotz, and many others (and rediscovered Billy Cobham).

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-15-2001, 02:47 PM
Owner/Program Director

Good points, dinosaur. I want to address #1 - musical threads. I would have to say that I am NOT against musical threads from time to time - in fact, while DJing, I often cue up threads, altough sometimes the connections are a bit more obscure. What's frustrated me is the continual and repeated Yes and Genesis threads - while great bands, these two in particular have also enjoyed a fair amount of commercial success, and can even be heard on classic rock stations. As such, they should take a back seat on AM to less "popular" bands, IMO. I have no qualm about hearing Levin followed by KC followed by BLS - but if I hear "Close To The Edge" followed by "Awaken" followed by anything from KTA again, I might scream.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:10 PM
Owner Emeritus

I can hear the screams in Kansas, so you know it's loud.

The current overrequested band has switched from Yes/Genesis to Transatlantic. It's even worse because there's only one album. I must have deleted 6 Transatlantic requests for the same two songs today.

Avian
Old 08-16-2001, 03:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Grey
Talking

...No, I haven't requested 'Close to the Edge', or 'The Lamb Lies Down' today (or ever, I think...I did put up 'Heart of the Sunrise', but it was the 'live' version from 1978; hadn't heard it...).
OK. 'Where's "Todd". I guess I'm impatient, but I'll be happy when I can request "The Freak Parade".
What about "Billy the Mountain" by Zappa. Pretty progressive, I think (Pretty twisted too: a breath of fresh methane!).
I wish for more 'Radiohead' (my 16 year old daughter might cue you guys up as well, at that point. Maybe something from 'Amnesia' (Haven't heard it yet).
OK. LOVE the station: keep it up! My heros....
Yours, "E"
Old 08-28-2001, 12:39 PM

Re: I wanna start an argument...

Hi from France,

I totally agree with Powerslave. I am 23 and I discovered prog with ... Genesis (I bought all the CDs, beginning by the end ).
But in fact, where I was listening to Genesis a few years ago, I had never heard the word "prog". Thanks to the Internet, I began to discover other talented groups (and buy their CDs, which can be difficult in France where you can't even find those in the stores).
As far as I'm concerned, AM is better than other prog channels because of its diversity. So please, everybody, preserve it !
Old 09-04-2001, 03:40 PM

One Point...

Just one point. Don't freak out on us requesting the new Yes album, because we can't buy it yet...

For the record, I don't request Yes. I do, however, request some of the more popular bands. Why? Because I'm only 22 and in graduate school, so I haven't had time or money to amass a huge collection. I own eight Rush albums, but I'm missing eight (nine counting the new one set for Jan or Feb). So, I'll request stuff from those I don't have, etc. BTW, I've never requested Genesis because I hate that band. Sorry (here come the flames). But I will request King Crimson I don't own, and Oldfield I don't own.

Add King's X.

Yesspaz Out.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:22 AM

Guilty As Charged...

Now, first off, I'm not the one requesting The Lamb over and over (it's a kickass album, and I've seen The Musical Box do it 3 times now--absolutely amazing!).

Honestly, though, I have trouble listening to only part of Albums/Long Songs like The Lamb, Thick As A Brick, Tales, Karn Evil, etc etc. These aren't designed to be taken piecemeal, and IMHO they shouldn't be.

Now (and here's the guilty part)...as for requesting YES and Genesis all the time...well, I'm guilty as charged. Yeah, I own all these albums, and yeah, I suppose I should be listening to more of the new/rare stuff, but I really have problems listening to single tracks of stuff I don't know, you just get interested in it and then you can't be sure of hearing another track from it for at least 60 minutes--painful.

Furthermore, I'm not always at home when listening to AM, and I find AM damn useful when I've got a deep craving for And You And I, or something--sure, Classic Rock stations play it, but not reliably enough to satisfy my needs (and you have to wade through Def Leopard to do it).

We're talking about an addiciton, you hear? I can't just turn off the need for YES just because you want me to!
I'm thinking to combat this sort of thing you should see if there's a way to set up a forum in here to handle the SAM submissions, and then you could require a user to be logged in to request music. It'd be easier to track the abusers and people would also feel a little bit more responsible if they thought you might publish what we've been requesting. (no...no...that Enya wasn't ME!)

Just a thought.

-----------------------------
Does the wind in the dark
Sound like music to you?
...Well, I'm thinking, it does to me!
-- Jethro Tull -- Inside
Old 09-17-2001, 11:30 AM

If thats your biggest problem in life......well GOD BLESS YOU .I`m jealous.Whatever song is playing, I`m listnening to it.Doesn`t matter if a tune is played every day, day in, day out, 30 seconds or 30 minutes.I`m just thankful Aural Moon exists.
Old 09-17-2001, 11:52 AM

My last comment is for Powerslave.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: