Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2023, 05:36 AM

2023 Work in Progress..ive

Name:  uno2023 a.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  435.4 KB

Hi friends

The best tracks of 2023 as new albums come out

one track per band or artist...

which can change over the course of 12 months and which can also

be replaced by better tracks from other artists

at the end of the year it will be easier to create

favorite playlist of 2023

Last edited by nicola : 01-13-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:11 AM

Re: 2023 Work in Progress..ive

RIVERSIDE
Name:  riverside.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  224.5 KB

2023 couldn't start better with Riverside coming back to scratch ,not at the same high level of Anno Domini which remains their best album and possibly the best progressive metal album ever,......... but at a very good level ... an album has many important tracks including the bonus tracks included in a second cd ..Welcome back Riverside
Well very well
and soon there should be another important group I don't remember the date of the album release which should give a good boost to this early 2023

ABOUT

RIVERSIDE

....RIVERSIDE
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of the group
Early years, Out of Myself (2001-2005)
Riverside was formed on October 27, 2001 thanks to the meeting between guitarist Piotr Grudziński and drummer Piotr Kozieradzki, both musicians in youth groups related to heavy metal but who shared a passion for progressive rock . At the end of the year, keyboardist Jacek Melnicki was enlisted, who also brought singer and bassist Mariusz Duda into the lineup . [1]

Completed the training, the quartet recorded the demo of the same name and released it on March 15, 2003 in a limited edition of 300 copies. [2] In October, the group announced the completion of the first album Out of Myself and at the same time the abandonment of Melnicki for personal reasons. [3] The vacancy was later filled by Michał Łapaj , announced on 4 December. [4] Out of Myself was finally released on December 15 of the same year and includes nine songs, five of which were originally released in the demo of the same name. [3]

In February 2004, Riverside announced their signing to Laser's Edge, [5] who re-released the album in the United States of America and worldwide on September 21 with new cover artwork by Travis Smith . [5] [6]

On March 7, 2005, the EP Voices in My Head was released independently , [7] consisting of five unreleased songs and three songs recorded live at the Traffic Club in Warsaw. [8] The record, together with Out of Myself , was re-released a few months later by the Polish label Mystic Production , with which Riverside signed a contract on June 20 of the same year. [9]

Second Life Syndrome and Rapid Eye Movement (2005-2008)
Later the group signed a contract with Inside Out Music for the distribution of their records in Europe and America. The first album released through the new label was Second Life Syndrome , released in 2005 and which represents the continuation of the story told in the previous Out of Myself .

During 2007 Riverside presented their third studio album Rapid Eye Movement , the last chapter of the trilogy they called Reality Dream . The singles 02 Panic Room and Schizophrenic Prayer were taken from it . In 2008 the group went on a celebratory trilogy tour, culminating in a concert in Łódź , later immortalized in the live album Reality Dream .

In June 2008 Mariusz Duda announced the creation of the side project Lunatic Soul with the intention of recording material not suited to Riverside's style, [10] however adding that it "would absolutely not change the hierarchy of importance of the latter". [11] The first album he released, the homonymous Lunatic Soul , was made available on October 13 of the same year. [12]

Anno Domini High Definition and the first ten years (2009-2011)

Riverside in concert in Barcelona in 2009
In January 2009, Riverside revealed that they were working on their fourth album, which they titled Anno Domini High Definition and scheduled for June of the same year; as explained by Duda, the disc was recorded at Studio X in Olsztyn (therefore moving away from the historic Serakos Studio in Warsaw) and would have included five "energetic and multiform" songs with a theme centered "on liquid modernity, life in a hurry constant, stress and anxiety about the future». [13] On April 16, the release date and tracklist were revealed, as well as the fact that it would have a total length of 44:44 minutes. [14]

The album was released on June 15 in Poland and four days later in the rest of the world and was made available in a standard and special edition, the latter including a bonus DVD with an excerpt from their held by the group in Amsterdam in December 2008. [14] [15] Previewed by Egoist Hedonist (made available in an abridged version on Myspace on 8 May), [16] the record proved to be a success for Riverside, topping the Polish Albums Chart , [17] as well as the related tour, which saw them perform in most European countries between September and December for a total of over 40 dates;[18] the tour then continued between April and May 2010. [19]

On May 5, 2011, the EP Memories in My Head was released , consisting of three tracks and aimed at celebrating the first ten years of the group's career. [20] As explained by Duda, the publication is a tribute to the first compositions of the group, more progressive rock: [21]
«This new material, concerning (for obvious reasons) the themes of the passing of time, will be a pleasant surprise for those who miss those specific melodies and spaces familiar from the group's early releases. We have consciously gone back to our beginnings to create a certain kind of circle. [...] The result is a rather interesting, spacious, cinematic, nostalgic and above all rock mix, which sums up the first decade of our career quite well.»

( Mariusz Duda )
Shrine of New Generation Slaves (2013)
On January 21, 2013, Riverside released their fifth album Shrine of New Generation Slaves , [22] anticipated a month earlier by the single Celebrity Touch . The disc represented a further novelty for the group, which moved away from the progressive metal sounds of Anno Domini High Definition in favor of more rock sounds and more refined lyrics, [23] preferring the song form (as underlined by the group in the choice of title, whose acronym is Songs ). [24] [25] In promotion of the album, the group embarked on the New Generation Tour, held in Europe and North America between May and November 2013. [26] [27]

Love, Fear and the Time Machine , Grudzińki's death (2015-2017)
On September 4, 2015 it was the turn of the sixth album Love, Fear and the Time Machine , which shows continuity in the melodic turn of the group and is characterized by sounds that pay homage to the music of the seventies and eighties. [28] It was promoted by the Discard Your Fear lyric video and the Found (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching) video , as well as an extensive world tour which saw Riverside also perform at various festivals. [29] One of these dates, namely the concert in Tilburg , was recorded and released two years later on the live album Lost 'n' Found - Live in Tilburg . [30]

The tour was supposed to continue the following year, [31] but on February 21, 2016, guitarist Piotr Grudzińki died of a fulminant heart attack. [32]

On 23 September 2016, the group announced that it would continue its musical activity as a trio, without therefore looking for a new guitarist. [33] A month later Eye of the Soundscape was released , a collection of all the electronic instrumental pieces made between 2007 and 2015 with the addition of four unreleased songs, the last ones composed with Grudzińki. [34]

In 2017 Riverside returned to perform live to pay tribute to the memory of the guitarist with the Towards the Blue Horizon Tour , accompanied on guitar by Maciej Meller , a longtime friend of Duda. [35]

Wasteland , Meller's entry (2018-2020)

Maciej Meller, guitarist of the group since 2020
On 28 September 2018, Riverside released their seventh studio album Wasteland , [36] anticipated by the release of three singles: Vale of Tears , River Down Below and Lament . The nine tracks on the disc marked a return to the progressive metal sounds of the early years, albeit intertwined with the melodic parts typical of the more recent publications, and with lyrics concerning post-apocalyptic themes and more indirectly the mood of the group following the disappearance by Grudzińki: [36]
«I've been thinking about exploring "post-apocalyptic" territories for a long time. I read books, watched movies, played video games, all connected by stories about trying to survive in a world that just ended. But, until now, writing such a story didn't make much sense. Riverside are starting a new chapter and after our recent experiences, a story like this has gained more meaning. Wastelandit's mostly about what's going on in the world today, but it also references the tragedy that befell the band in 2016. Musically, we went back to darker sounds but we also turned a new page and recorded the album in a different style. It's still the Riverside sound but expressed in a much deeper and more mature way. [...] is an epic album, multidimensional, poetic and very deep. Maybe one of those that happen only once in a lifetime.”

( Mariusz Duda )
Duda himself took care of the guitar parts (who also performed the solos in two songs), Mateusz Owczarek and the session musician Maciej Meller, [37] again confirmed by the group for the related tour.

The disc was subsequently promoted by an extensive world tour which saw the group initially perform in Europe between late 2018 and early 2019, [38] [39] and subsequently in North America in May and June 2019. [40] In in September they embarked on a special tour of Germany and Poland, [41] [42] extending it to the rest of Europe in early 2020. [43] On December 1, 2020 the live album Wasteland Tour 2018-2020 was released , containing the audio of all songs performed during the tour and the video of the concert held in 2018 in Oberhausen . [44]

On February 1, 2020, Riverside announced the entry of Meller as an official member of the lineup, which reverted to a quartet. [45]

Solo projects, 20th anniversary (2020-2022)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic Riverside were forced to cancel the remaining dates of the Wasteland Tour . [43] This allowed the various members of the group to devote themselves to other projects. The first was Duda, who in March 2020 launched the debut single The Song of a Dying Memory as part of a series of «subcutaneous songs» or «adherent songs», characterized by softer sounds and singing; [46] in August he made available the second single related to the series, Are You Ready for the Sun . [47] In 2020 Duda also released the albums Through Shaded Woods under the name Lunatic Soul(seventh overall) [48] and Lockdown Spaces to his name: [49] the latter, created during the Through Shaded Woods recording sessions , marked the beginning of the Lockdown Trilogy , a series of encompassing electronica albums also of Claustrophobic Universe and Interior Drawings , both released during 2021. [50]

In June 2020 Łapaj presented the single Breathe , followed in November by the EP Sessions ; in July 2021 he instead released the debut album Are You There . [51] On September 18, 2020 Meller released his album Zenith , characterized by progressive rock sounds and which featured the participation of Krzysztof Borek on vocals, Robert Szydło on bass, Łukasz Damrych on keyboard and Łukasz Sobolak on drums. [52]

In summer 2021 the group embarked on a short four-date tour to celebrate their twenty-year career and during which the previously unreleased Story of My Dream was performed for the first time , the first release recorded with Meller in official component quality. [53] [54] The song was released as a single on October 27 of the same year and anticipated the collection Riverside 20 - The Shorts & the Longs , made available the following November 19 and containing a selection of over thirty songs taken from their repertoire. [55] Between April and May 2022 the Riverside 20 tourit also touched America, initially passing through the United States of America and later also in Mexico, Chile and Brazil, [56] [57] while in September it moved to Europe. [58]

ID.Entity (2022-present)
Over the spring of 2022, Riverside revealed that they had begun composing new material for an eighth studio album, [59] due for release in January 2023. The recording sessions, which took place over a period between of about three months (precisely between June 7 and August 30), [60] began at the Boogie Town Studio in Otwock : it is the first time since Anno Domini High Definition that the group has decided to start sessions in a different location from the Serakos studio in Warsaw. [61]In mid-August, during the final week of the mixing phase, Duda revealed that the record would feature seven tracks (plus two instrumentals for the special edition) and that the lyrics would largely address current issues. [62]

On October 21, both the album title, ID.Entity , and the release date, set at January 20, 2023, were revealed ; at the same time the first single I'm Done with You and its video were released. [63] As a further anticipation, the singles Self-Aware (November 29, 2022) and Friend or Foe? (January 10, 2023), both distributed in a smaller version than those on the disc. [64] [65]

Name:  uno2023 b.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  444.0 KB

Hi friends

These are my best tracks of 2023

Track Title-Group or Artist-Album

I'm Done with You-RIVERSIDE-ID.ENTITY

Name:  riverside_identity_800-d311553a.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  329.3 KB

Name:  riversidexx.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  174.3 KB

I have to decide between these three tracks the best one

I'm Done with You-RIVERSIDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUANefJv28

Post-Truth-RIVERSIDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymq2VQOUyuE

Friend or Foe?-RIVERSIDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BCXXbuQHxs

GOOD LISTENING

Last edited by nicola : 03-06-2024 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:02 AM

SUNCHILD
Name:  sunchildband.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  349.8 KB

.... spelled Sunchild
....it is spelled Karfagen
.... it's spelled HOGGWASH
....it is written Akko
but Antony Kalugin can be read that not content with managing and writing music for these four groups of his, he also has the time to write and produce music for his personal albums
I don't think there is an artist in the field of symphonic prog with such great creativity in tracks that are always of high value and to confirm my words, another Karfagen album will be released in a few days which will be, as usual, an excellent album with almost all the tracks written by Antony Kalugin.

ABOUT

Antony Kalugin

...Antony Kalugin
From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

Antony Kalugin biography
ANTONY KALUGIN is a multi-talented musician and composer from Ukraine who initially began creating music as a new age artist back in 2003, but would eventually begin writing progressive rock under Caerllysi Music in 2008. ANTONY KALUGIN is widely known as the brainchild behind projects such as KARFAGEN, SUNCHILD, HOGGWASH, and AKKO.

At this point, ANTONY KALUGIN is the only person to have participated on his solo albums. He has played every instrument and wrote every song, making this a totally solo project. ANTONY KALUGIN'S debut solo album officially was The Water released in 2008. This album had mixed reviews on the time of its release and shows his transition from new age to progressive rock. After this debut, ANTONY KALUGIN would not write any new solo albums for quite some time. Instead focusing on writing music for his other projects. However, every once in awhile he would release a short EP displaying some music that he had been writing that wouldn't fix the normal criteria of the projects he was in.

In 2020, ANTONY KALUGIN began writing new material for a solo album called Marshmallow Moondust planned for a release on 10/10/20. From the samples given so far, this album has more in common with his work on KARFAGEN then any of the solo albums that were released in the past. This is Symphonic Prog in it's purest form. ANTONY KALUGIN'S early solo work can be described as a mix of PETER GABRIEL with some early elements of PINK FLOYD. However, ANTONY KALUGIN'S newest album leans closer to CAMEL and YES. I would recommend checking out ANTONY KALUGIN'S solo work if you are a fan of any of his projects listed above.
Bio by PrimeReviewsMusic

Name:  uno2023 c.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  452.1 KB

Hi friends

Life Lines-SUNCHILD-Exotic Creatures and a Stolen Dream

Name:  sunchild album.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  249.3 KB

Name:  sunchildxxx.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  201.4 KB

Life Lines-SUNCHILD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcgHZbZMGc4

GOOD LISTENING

Last edited by nicola : 03-06-2024 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:17 AM

JOHN IRVINE
Name:  irv1.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  165.5 KB

John Irvine band .... in this album a duo
John Irvine multi-instrumentalist of absolute value and Andrew Scott on drums
a completely instrumental album in a great mix of progressive rock and above all Jazz Rock/Fusion
an artist I've been following for a few years and who improves from album to album
of this album I chose the first track which is also the title of the album
Thanks John for the great music

ABOUT

JOHN IRVINE

...JOHN IRVINE
From Official website

I initially trained as a classical guitarist, studying at Dartington College of Arts for two years after leaving school, and then at the Royal Scottish Academy Of Music & Drama (Glasgow) where I studied with Phillip Thorne, gaining a BA in Music Performance (1989) and winning the Guitar Challenge Prize (1988).

Following a Post-Grad Certificate in Performance (1990), I began a PhD in music composition, with Nigel Osborne at the University of Edinburgh, in 1992. This was completed in 1999. At this time, I was also working in Scottish theatre where I wrote music for over 40 productions, 20 of which were for the Traverse Theatre (Edinburgh).

I have taught at St Mary’s Music School (Edinburgh) and The City of Edinburgh Music School (where I currently work) and lectured for two years (2008-10) at Edinburgh Napier University, where I was asked to redesign their ‘Music, Creativity & Communication’ course for the BA in Popular Music. I also work as a PSA in Edinburgh Schools.

I’m the author of three sci-fi novels comprising ‘The Mikita Smith Chronicles’ series of books, and I’m also a published poet and short-story writer, having had works included in several journals and web-zines such as Poetry Scotland, The Open Mouse, Blinking Cursor, Essence, Ink, Sweat & Tears, A Handful of Stones, South and Streetcake Magazine, amongst others.

I formed The John Irvine Band in 2011…

Over the course of my life, much of my music listening has been devoted to the great fusion players and bands of the past 40 years – Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays, Gary Burton, Allan Holdsworth, Bill Connors, Jan Garbarek, John Scofield, Weather Report & Oregon, amongst many.

I had finished my Doctorate in classical composition, but now wanted to reflect what I’d learned from those wonderful musicians listed above and, hopefully, add something new to the jazz-rock genre. So, in 2010 I began to write music for a guitar trio setting and formed The John Irvine Band in 2011 – the result became my first album, ‘Wait & See’.

Two more albums followed in this vein ‘Next Stop’ (2013) and ‘Metaphysical Attractions’ (2018) until I decided to add a more progressive rock element to the music resulting in ‘The Machinery Of The Heavens’ (2020) and ‘Psychopomp’ (2022). Of course, being a child of the 70s, my interest in prog has always been there – Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, U.K., Max Webster, Rush, Gentle Giant… and so many other great bands.

All five albums have received awards and plaudits from many Progressive Rock and Jazz Fusion magazines and websites. Several tracks have been played on internet and terra firma radio stations, such as: The Prog Rock Palace, Xymphonia, El Ritorno Del Gigante, Canvas Prog Hour, Friday Night Progressive & La Villa Strangiato. I was delighted when ‘Metaphysical Attractions’ was awarded 3rd place in the Fusion category in the 2019 Friday Night Progressive ‘IndeProg’ Awards.

Both ‘Wait & See’ and ‘Next Stop’ were recorded with the same band lineup: myself: Guitars, Keyboards, Alan Emslie: Drums, Percussion and Doug Kemp: Bass. ‘Metaphysical Attractions’ featured a new line-up: renowned Scottish drummer Rich Kass, with Rob Ironside and Gwen Kelso on sax and flute. The fourth album ‘The Machinery Of The Heavens’ featured the ‘DUO Mk.I’ lineup with Rich Kass. ‘Psychopomp’ featured a new drummer in the JIB ‘hot seat’, the Kirriemuir-based Calum McIntyre. Thus creating a DUO Mk.II lineup. A DUO Mk.III will be recording the next JIB album ‘Scanning The Dark Horizon’ in 2022. This time featuring the Edinburgh-based drummer Andrew Scott (King King/Paul Gilbert).

Name:  uno2023 d.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  459.6 KB

Hi friends

Scanning The Dark Horizon-JOHN IRVINE-Scanning The Dark Horizon

Name:  cover_irvine.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  188.5 KB

Name:  irvinexxxx.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  110.7 KB

Scanning The Dark Horizon-JOHN IRVINE
https://thejohnirvineband.bandcamp.c...e-dark-horizon

GOOD LISTENING

Last edited by nicola : 03-06-2024 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:31 AM

SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM
Name:  singleaa.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  193.2 KB

ABOUT

SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM

...SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM
From Official website

Jens Lueck was confronted with music very early in his life. The first impetus was given to him by his grandmother, who started to regularly play classical music to him at an early age. By the time he was seven he took classical piano lessons and became a big fan of Johann Sebastian Bach (“I drove my piano instructor crazy because I refused to play almost everything else.”)

As the years went by, he also discovered Pop-, Jazz- and Rockmusic. The journey began with Abba and Bands like Alan Parson’s Projekt, Eloy and Supertramp quickly led him to Deep Purple, Camel, Pat Metheny, Pink Floyd and Genesis. These last two bands finally initiated his decision to found his own band.

By coincidence he ended up playing the drums and fell in love with this instrument. Due to the circumstance that all the rehearsals took place in the cellar of the parental home, he often played the bass too and experimented with songwriting by taking “pingpong records” using two cassette recorders. His interest in sound and audio engineering grew and his musical skills developed.

After graduation he moved to Hamburg, where he additonally received the education to be an audioengineer (after he had abandoned the studies of physics to fully concentrate on music) and worked on a personal music project. For the first time he recorded music for other artists as well and with the passage of time he built up a complete studio where he realises his own and other productions even today. In addition to SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM, his own projects include SYRINX CALL (with Volker Kuinke) and ISGAARD.

He worked as producer/ enigneer/ composer for, inter alia, several film music productions, Sylvan, Ricochet, Frank Ramond, Rainbow Serpent, Eloy, Kind of Blue, Lidia Kopania, Rain for a day, Huxley Would Approve and many others.

Single Celled Organism is the return to his roots, which lie in Progressive/ Art Rock.

Name:  uno2023 e.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  465.2 KB

Hi friends

Memories in a Box-SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM-EVENT HORIZON

Name:  single celled organism.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  262.4 KB

Name:  singlexx.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  122.5 KB

Memories in a Box-SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM
https://singlecelledorganism.bandcam...ories-in-a-box

GOOD LISTENING

Last edited by nicola : 03-06-2024 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:07 AM

GREAT WIDE NOTHING
Name:  greatgruppo.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  595.2 KB

ABOUT

GREAT WIDE NOTHING

...GREAT WIDE NOTHING
From Official website

Great Wide Nothing biography
Founded in Atlanta, USA in 2017

An Atlanta-based combo GREAT WIDE NOTHING were founded by Daniel GRAHAM (bass, voices), Dylan PORPER (keyboards), and Jeff MATTHEWS (drums). They've been fully inspired by progressive rock scene in the 70s, and their material has got crystallized as the debut album "The View From Olympus" in April 2019.
Inspired by 70's prog but taking a decidedly more modern, less fussy approach that incorporates elements of punk, indie & alternative rock (as well as whatever they just happen to be into at the time), Great Wide Nothing occupies a unique place at the crossroads where genuine artistic ambition intersects with down-to-earth, DIY sensibilities. Though the band carries themselves with an unpretentious, casual - even humorous - demeanor, their songs overflow with empathy and urgency, tackling existential, emotional, and socio-political subject matter with sincerity and conviction.

Name:  uno2023 f.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  467.9 KB

Hi friends

Memories in a Box-SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM-EVENT HORIZON

To_find_the_light_part_two-GREAT WIDE NOTHING-Hymns for Hungry Spirits, Vol. II

Name:  great album.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  200.9 KB

Name:  greatxx.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  98.4 KB

To_find_the_light_part_two-GREAT WIDE NOTHING
https://greatwidenothing.bandcamp.co...light-part-two

GOOD LISTENING

Last edited by nicola : 04-08-2023 at 03:48 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: