Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2005, 06:36 PM

Porcupine Tree

First discovered this band in 2003, In Absentia was in my CD Player for a very long time.

I've only been listening to Aural Moon for a few days now, so I'm not sure if it's on there already, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. It's a really good album.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Patron

Cool

Oh yes, we have In Absentia on the Moon

Have you found your way to the playlist yet? Left hand side of home page near the bottom.. you'll see the "Live Request" link. There you can search in any number of different ways.

Have you heard PT's "Lightbulb Sun"? If not, you might want to do some requesting off that. Brilliant album, imho.

Welcome to the Moon
Old 03-11-2005, 08:13 PM

Ah! Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:09 PM

hey Josh...

I've noticed that Porc tree is a big band of listeneres in your age group. They must be hitting the right prog chords....

I'm trying to get into them more. I've found that they have changed a lot since their early releases. When I saw them at Nearfest (2002?) it seemed they were getting into the heavier stuff.

The first tune on my next show (Rickter Scale) is "Blackest Eyes". That song kicks my ass from here to New Brunswick (I wonder if anyone else is in your time zone? Maybe the mid-SA contingent...

Glad to see you're into Rush. If it weren't for Tull they'd be my favorite.

Welcome in!
Old 03-12-2005, 11:14 AM

Thanks, this place is awesome

A friend introduced me to Porcupine Tree a while back, although I haven't really looked into other albums yet. I'll chalk that one up to laziness. But a lot of my friends enjoy that album, even some who don't exactly enjoy Prog Rock.

First listened to Rush when I was 14, that stuck with me til now, which I'm very happy of.

And I'll remember to listen to your show, it already sounds awesome.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by josh
First listened to Rush when I was 14, that stuck with me til now, which I'm very happy of.
Ah...it's exactly like my story... sniff.... I still remember the moment my Dad showed me Hemispheres on the old gramophone..

And talking about PT... for me In Absentia is one of their worst albums. If you start PT adventure from this one it may look like a highlight but from the perspective of their whole career it is nothing special because it's nothing new (apart from heavier sound). Still the same Wilson's atmosphere... quite boring after all these years and albums. That's why I see Wilson's Blackfield CD so refreshing and nice - at last sth more than porcupine's bath in the void.
So if you like Wilson try Blackfield and Opeth - Damnation, which was produced by Steven and is MARVELLOUS stuff.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:46 AM

Porc 3

Here I come!

Pleasure to stay with you guys

...I'd like Porc 3, they have a little taste with Bondage (you know as my favourit
prog rockers)... the last album is very stronger.

Have you news from Cincinnati?

...sorry, uncle cat Rob, my second hand!
Get off the tail out the window... pssst!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:52 PM

In Absentia

I picked up In Absentia and haven't been that into it. "Blackest Eyes" is a good rocking song, but otherwise I found the album to be pretty faceless.

I actually put it in the same bucket as Opeth's Damnation and Pineapple Thief's Variations on a Dream. I have nothing to complain about in the performances, but the songwriting just seems uninspired and mostly lacking in energy or feeling in each case.

(Of course, if you disagree and you like one of these albums, you might enjoy one of the others.)

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I am just a neo-prog, symphonic rock and prog-folk kind of guy. Prog metal and spacy prog just doesn't do it for me.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:41 PM

Re: In Absentia

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Rawdon

Prog metal and spacy prog just doesn't do it for me.
I know what you mean. I love hard rock. Prog metal lacks the rock aspect.

With spacey prog, I guess it's the Pink Floyd thing.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Patron

R&R - would you please write a definition of terms; prog, metal prog, neo prog, spacey prog ect. I'm getting lost and can't put the bands in the right box

Oh you forgot kitchen prog - the sort of music thats played on AM which Vax would describe as "the sound of killing the cat with kitchen utensils and adding a sort of rythm to it"

Blackfield though is more pop prog in my view.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:00 PM

not me!

Quote:
Originally posted by RogorMortis
R&R - would you please write a definition of terms; prog, metal prog, neo prog, spacey prog ect. I'm getting lost and can't put the bands in the right box

Oh you forgot kitchen prog - the sort of music thats played on AM which Vax would describe as "the sound of killing the cat with kitchen utensils and adding a sort of rythm to it"

Blackfield though is more pop prog in my view.
I don't make up the terms..I just respond

I thought "kitchen prog" was poda listening to the moon while in the kitchen, as is her wont.

Wish I could see Blackfield...falls on a impossible night (in Northern VA)
Old 03-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Re: Prog subgenre definitions

Quote:
R&R - would you please write a definition of terms; prog, metal prog, neo prog, spacey prog ect. I'm getting lost and can't put the bands in the right box.
This page has some decent definitions of prog subgenre terms. As with any such definitions, take what you like and completely disregard the rest.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Patron

Hi josh

glad you like Porcupine Tree, try Signify, Stupid Dream...i love those two and i discovered the Tree here on AM.

sorry you didnt "get into the groove" of the tree's In Absentia, Micheal. as for lyrical content it speaks to me and sometimes of me, and sometimes is just plain silly but i like his style. though i sometimes prefer their instumentals more than the vocal selections. 3 off of In Absentia is a great one for me.....but ya can't win them all.

still you know you're gonna hear things that will fit right into your own Private Prog Plug, so keep listening and commenting.

podakayne

Quote:
originally posted by ricknroll
I thought "kitchen prog" was poda listening to the moon while in the kitchen, as is her wont.
ROTF, that is so my wont
Old 04-02-2005, 11:26 AM

I love me some Porcupine Tree!

I found about them here on AuralMoon; it was the track "Russia on Ice" from "Lightbulb Sun" that kicked my ass. I now own LS, Signify, and In Absentia. I like them all, but I think that each album has some tracks that are sublime, and some that I could do without. Other great tracks include Dark Matter, Trains, Waiting (Phase 1 & 2), and, of course Blackest Eyes. Aural Moon just also played a live version of "The Sky Moves Sideways" that blows me away.

(Incidentally, a lot of these songs don't have much in the way of singing at all; I've always cared more about music than lyrics.)

They've got a new album coming out this month "Deadwing." It will be interesting to see how they evolve.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Progger since 1966

P.T.

I have a passion for my A/V system. Porcupine Tree's IN ABSENSIA is BY FAR the finest DVD-AUDIO disc I Own. This is the high Quality Format that gives you superior sound Quality in 6 channels. you need a special player but can hear a fine 5.1 mix on your DVD player. It's just plain AWESOME! 5.1 DEADWING coming in May. Wait for the 5.1 version.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:08 AM

Deadwing

I'm loving Deadwing! There is one song on there, "Arriving Somewhere but Not Here" that has jumped into my top 100 favorite songs EVER. Others are worth a listen too, though I am not fond of the first 2 tracks, so you have to let the whole album unfold. Best listened to LOUD.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Progger since 1966

Re: Deadwing

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck
Best listened to LOUD.
MY System has 1700 WATTS!! I'll play it LOUD when I get the DVD-AUDIO version out 5/10, ...5.1 Channels of Mind-numbing VOLUME!!!!!! Thanx to your review,I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 PM

Re: Deadwing

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck
I'm loving Deadwing! There is one song on there, "Arriving Somewhere but Not Here" that has jumped into my top 100 favorite songs EVER. Others are worth a listen too, though I am not fond of the first 2 tracks, so you have to let the whole album unfold. Best listened to LOUD.
I just listened to that today in the car, taking my teenager on a college orientation. I've only been lukewarm on them, but since In Abstentia I'm liking them more.

Deadwing is GREAT. Funny, I really like the first tune, but I like the heavy ones There's a tune that could pass for Metallica! (think it may be part of Somewhere)
Old 05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Patron

Quote:
I really like the first tune, but I like the heavy ones There's a tune that could pass for Metallica! (think it may be part of Somewhere)

I've got the impression that Deadwing was an ambient version of PT

I've ordered the 5.1 version so I haven't heard it yet. Looks mind blowing from R&R's discription
Old 05-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Progger since 1966

5.1 and counting..

Quote:

I've ordered the 5.1 version so I haven't heard it yet.
FINALLY, an admitted 5.1 compatriot !!! After the DVD-A of IN ABSENTIA, there is no other way!! RM has the ticket to ride, Less than a week till arrival, then BLAST OFF!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: