Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Owner/Program Director

History of Aural Moon (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
FWIW, here's how I found AM.

As an aside, an article on the history of how AM came to be would be interesting to me.
Davin would have to write that as he started it. I joined the team fairly early on (the "team" was Davin and myself), and can say a few words on that. In late 2000, I was listening to Aural Moon, and Davin posted an ad to the website looking for a program director. I volunteered, and we began our virtual collaboration. (I have an e-mail I sent to Davin in January of 2001 saying 17 listeners was the most I'd seen yet...) It was in June of 2001 when we met in person for the first time, at Nearfest.

I took over financial responsibility for Aural Moon in the middle of 2004. By then, Roger was already on board helping out with a lot of the technical stuff. Vaxman was definitely listening by then, and started hosting the web server in 2006 if I recall correctly. He'd already been helping out quite a bit before then.

Aural Moon is a money losing proposition. We are not really trying to make it pay for itself, which gives us a lot more freedom than XM/Sirius will ever have. The numbers involved pencil out nicely for us, but never will for satellite radio. I'm not worried. Like Vax, I used to listen to XM's Music Lab when chance (usually work travel) brought me into contact with a car equipped with it. I've never paid for it...
Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Is XM/Sirius a threat to internet radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
Davin would have to write that as he started it. I joined the team fairly early on (the "team" was Davin and myself), and can say a few words on that. In late 2000, I was listening to Aural Moon, and Davin posted an ad to the website looking for a program director. I volunteered, and we began our virtual collaboration. (I have an e-mail I sent to Davin in January of 2001 saying 17 listeners was the most I'd seen yet...) It was in June of 2001 when we met in person for the first time, at Nearfest.

I took over financial responsibility for Aural Moon in the middle of 2004. By then, Roger was already on board helping out with a lot of the technical stuff. Vaxman was definitely listening by then, and started hosting the web server in 2006 if I recall correctly. He'd already been helping out quite a bit before then.
I was listening for quite some time before I ventured to sign up for an account on the old web site. I think I pre-dated Roger's arrival (the database has it by 4 months but since that was the old forum data, it's anybody's guess as to the actual sign on date).

Roger was given duties on the moon because, at that time, he had been out of work. As things became more hectic, he asked me to lend a hand.

According to the WHOIS records, the last update to the Auralmoon.com registry was 21-JUL-06. So Jim is right in that I took over the web site hosting in 2006 -- summer of 2006.

Quote:
Aural Moon is a money losing proposition. We are not really trying to make it pay for itself, which gives us a lot more freedom than XM/Sirius will ever have. The numbers involved pencil out nicely for us, but never will for satellite radio. I'm not worried. Like Vax, I used to listen to XM's Music Lab when chance (usually work travel) brought me into contact with a car equipped with it. I've never paid for it...
I've expended quite a bit of time and money on the Aural Moon web site. Lately, alot more TIME!
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-05-2007, 04:03 PM

Re: History of Aural Moon

just to clarify, that's Roger Dot.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Sintetista Send a message via Yahoo to Sintetista Send a message via Skype™ to Sintetista

Very interesting, please write more
Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintetista View Post
Very interesting, please write more
I asked Avian some time ago if he would contribute a "History Of". He said he had been thinking about writing something even before I asked him. Avian has been busy and preoccupied; however, next time he's about -- assuming he's not prompted to do so by this thread -- I will ask him again for some input.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
I asked Avian some time ago if he would contribute a "History Of". He said he had been thinking about writing something even before I asked him. Avian has been busy and preoccupied; however, next time he's about -- assuming he's not prompted to do so by this thread -- I will ask him again for some input.
I'll send him a message via that friend-sharing service you don't like
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian

Okay, the call from CyberSpace has come over the cosmic bananaphone loud and clear. Sorry I've been so busy - I've been meaning to come back and say hello more often. I'm making it a solstice resolution, but let me start now: hello! (Sorry for the length of this - it just all came out when looking back on how Aural Moon was created, and what it means to me).

Throughout my life, I've been creating online communities for people to get together and support each other in their mutual interests, including online bulletin boards like Mac for the Mind and the Endeavour Starflight Simulator. At the same time, I've been a musician all my life, and have always felt the strong desire to share music with others. I think that's the motivating force behind anyone who makes music - the deep-rooted instinct to share with others that inner vision of the world that demands to be let out. I've been a laser performance artist for my entire adult life as well. Yes, I am/was that guy who performed the Pink Floyd or Rush shows you've seen in the planetarium - at least the good ones! Molding undulating colors, directing impossible visual patterns, strobing the visual to the auditory, and casting sinusous light paintings live to music is still one of the most amazing expressive experiences one can have.

In the summer of 1999, I was working out of my house in Boston, while also working from my office at the Boston Museum of Science. One of my good friends growing up in Pittsburgh (who really got me into the planetarium business when I was a teenager - thanks Greg!) was doing a great downloadable 80s radio show called Simply 80s. Before there were podcasts there was internet radio, and before that, there were... podcasts! It was a blast to listen to, and suddenly, all those memories of wanting to DJ came flooding back to me. I suddenly felt a great need to share music with others that had followed me throughout my life. At the time, I had no idea that what I felt was "real music" - real modern music that you didn't have to turn your brain off for - had started to make a comeback right about then.

I started trolling the internet in my Netscape 4 browser to see what progressive rock was out there. Keep in mind, this is long before many bands had their own web pages, let alone any visions of the e-commerce world to come.

To my shock, I discovered the amazing progressive music being made around then - Anglagard sent chills up my spine, Porcupine Tree was an incredible lyrical force to be reckoned with, Gordian Knot was some grungy thinkfeel fun, and others like Figleaf and Nebelnest were on the scene jamming with a fire, and intent to speak with a voice that had died decades earlier. And if that wasn't enough, the FM dial and MTV was featuring Radiohead shattering the airwaves with its progressive epic Paranoid Android. All of this music spoke to me - I didn't think there was anything out there that would come across the void of the decades when some of my favorite music was being made. I don't know how I would've found it all if it weren't for the net. Progressive music was indeed alive, growing, and searching for an audience. I felt like I had to give it a stage to play on.

I gathered up as many free mp3s as I could fine - most thanks to "The Reverend" and his ftp collection of free mp3s that bands had given him to promote themselves. Aural Moon was born June 22, 1999 with this Usenet post:

Davin C. Flateau
View profile
Hide options Jun 22 1999, 2:00 am
Newsgroups: rec.music.progressive, alt.music.yes, alt.music.genesis
Date: 1999/06/22
Subject: New prog netshow: Aural Moon - now up!

We're proud to announce the first edition of a new weekly prog netshow:
Aural Moon!

http://www.live365.com/avian/

(insert fanfare here)

Our first few shows are going to be a musical response to the many, many
questions I answer about people just getting into progressive rock and
don't know where to start. It's a sampling of some mainstream stuff,
but don't worry - we will be diving into some "more obscure" music soon
enough.

Aural Moon "show 0" includes Yes, Genesis, Rush, gentle Giant, King
Crimson, Mike Oldfield and others.

So, welcome neo-proggers yearning to learn more, and paleolithic
proggers who want to join us at the beginning of what's going to be a
fun trip!

(The mp3 streaming features of the site aren't working due to server
side problems - so it's Real Audio only for a bit. 20.7k mono - the
best modem-caliber I've heard yet!)

Avian

It was a lot of fun to produce - if time consuming, especially given how primitive the tools to record, edit and encode audio were back in the 20th century. I think we only did a few downloadable shows, before Live 365 changed over to some new-fangled "streaming" audio technology, which sounded like you were hearing an Edison wax cylinder recording through a tin and string. But it was LIVE. Oooo - it was suddenly radio! My new 15 pound cable modem was heating my house, sitting on my desk, so I had a high speed internet connection to do the streaming. Aural Moon as we know it was born!

Our first big thing I got an audience for was when Yes' much anticipated album The Ladder was released. I got Yes' record label to leak out an advance copy of the album to me for broadcast, so we had - really - the world premiere of the entire Ladder album before anyone had ever heard it! We had a giant audience, and quickly filled up our live365.com servers, and for that event, we were the most popular internet radio station on the planet earth. What a rush!

It wasn't long after that when we needed better reliability than live365 had to offer, so we went with streamguys to serve us. Yes, we've been with streamguys for _that_ long. For better and worse, for sure. Really, they've been great. And given the complete volatility the internet has experienced, for two entities to have such a long term collaboration is really remarkable.

The year 2000 was the biggest step forward for Aural Moon. At the time, I was doing everything - finding music, ripping it, DJing, all the technical work, all the website work (including three new complete websites during this time) - burnout was setting in, and I didn't want that to happen. I wanted us to grow. There was so much more music out there to showcase, new and lost, and so many great shows and talents I wanted to bring to the station to facilitate it all. There had to be one of our listeners on the website who would be foolish enough to help me out by helping me steer this ship. But could we do it virtually? Was there someone dedicated enough? The call for a Program Director went out.

The musical Gods must've been in a damn good mood, as Jim Brennan answered the call. With his hard work, tireless energy and support, and his huge musical knowledge and library, we were ready to evolve the station into what it has become. The music library exploded with incredible tunes that made people take notice, and that freed me up to expand the station technically. More listener slots, better reliability, better computers, NEARFest sponsorship.

It was the addition of a shoutbox to the website that got the community going. That blossomed over the years to a huge worldwide city of progressive rock enthusiasts that I've been incredibly lucky to call my friends. Aural Moon is as much about the community - you guys - as it is about any set of bands, genres, or track mixes.

In 2001 (I think) I established the relationship with our good friend Tom Gagliardi to be the exclusive net radio partner for the simulcast of his show The Gagliarchives, the gold standard of terrestrial progressive rock radio shows. Tom has been a great partner with Aural Moon, we ran his show of course until just last month (thanks Library of Congress). But we continue to work with him even to this day! (announcement coming soon)

We had so many shows and new music coming in from Jim, myself and other listeners, that we had to bring someone else on board to help with the technical aspects. Roger Dot Lee took that role and ran with it - we couldn't have run the station without him. Ditto for VAXMan, who also stepped in with even more technical (and financial) help with the website, and the incredibly important job of monitoring the station and website during its daily operations, something that had been sorely needed for a long time. And most recently, RogorMortis has been aggregating all the progressive rock news from around the world, making the AM website a great place to keep up on all the news from the music world!

And we wouldn't be anywhere without our on air staff. The most soulsplitting, wild, mindblowing music, some of it literally dug out of the blackness of obscurity, reaches your ears due to the very hard work of these folks every week, for years on end. The guys at Gnosis 2000 (departed), Cozy, Sean McFee, Paul Kurzweil (departed), Tommy Wingo, Tom Gagliardi, Rick and Roll and Moses. If I've forgotten anyone, please forgive me - and thank you!

In 2005, I gave up primary control and responsibility of the station to Jim. I could see that life had a lot in store for me over the next few years, and I wanted AM to have a full time leader who could ensure its future both logistically and financially. Jim has done an incredible job, of course, and I was right - life has been pretty hectic! But I still keep my hands in things - including producing and maintaining the website you're enjoying now, and maintaining the streaming technology.

I have no doubt that AM will always be here on this planet. We've come so far, and grown so much as a community for it not to live forever. It started out as my desire to share great music to other people, but it has blossomed into a way for thousands of people worldwide over the course of almost a decade to enjoy the art of music together, in a collective, sharing experience. That will always make me smile.

Happy upcoming 8th Birthday Aural Moon.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:12 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
I have no doubt that AM will always be here on this planet. We've come so far, and grown so much as a community for it not to live forever. It started out as my desire to share great music to other people, but it has blossomed into a way for thousands of people worldwide over the course of almost a decade to enjoy the art of music together, in a collective, sharing experience. That will always make me smile.

Happy upcoming 8th Birthday Aural Moon.
I have no doubt that Aural Moon will be here for ever too.

I remember when I first joined the community in 2002. There were a few chatters in the shoutbox but I realised that this was something special. With a little prodding more and more and longer and longer conversations were had and the family started to grow. We formed "The shouters choir" who would "Sing" along with the tracks as they played and always seemed to be laughing. A band of regulars formed the Morning Crew out of which grew the idea for theme days (Steady Stan was the Theme Meister). The concept of Faffing came about with the morning crew. I remember mossy (who used to get up at 4am her time to chat) using the term for the first time and the League of Faffers was born. Great fun that continues to this day.

I've said it before and I have no problem saying it again:

Aural moon has changed my life for the better. So many new friends, so much support in times of need and a hell of a lot of love.

Thank you Davin for the original idea that has bought so much joy to a lot of people. I think June 22nd should be officially called "Avian Day" in your honour. Bless you mate.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 AM

Same for me Keithie, I came here for the 1st time three years ago and then, you know the rest ... I joined as a member and well, still here ... Thanks to your work, Avian, Jim, Vax, etc ...
Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
I'll send him a message via that friend-sharing service you don't like
Email is easier! I would have emailed him had I thought it that important to harry him for this history.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-06-2007, 05:24 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
{history deleted}
Avian,

Thanks so much for the history and everything else! I'll edit some of the commentary but most of what you've supplied will work nicely for the history section in the FAQ.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Email is easier! I would have emailed him had I thought it that important to harry him for this history.
But his myspace page is very cool. And he needs to be harried every so often....

thanks Davin for the history
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Patron

The concept and term FAFF is something I learned from my friend Alan. It felt good to be able to put a name to something I'd been doing all my life, and to be able to explore and hone the art of FAFF with other faffists.

Yes Keithie, the Morning Crew elevated faffing to new heights, and it's something we all continue to this day (though not at 4 am PST). In those days, on the old site, "white" saw alot of action. I remember the day it was implemented and took over from the shoutbox as the main place to communicate. Unfortunately white did alot of booting in those days, something the new less used white (now blue) seems to engage in.

Anyway...since Alan has recently joined the Moon, I wanted to recognize him for this most important contribution to Moon Culture.

And....THANK YOU DAVIN! You shared at one point how you decided on the name for the station. Could you share that again? I think we also have to mention (since we're talking about Moon history), the Moon Anniversary Party we had a couple of years back where we set up a 24 hour faff in white. Who lasted the course? I think you can guess..... two Brits....kw and jamforte.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
I think we also have to mention (since we're talking about Moon history), the Moon Anniversary Party we had a couple of years back where we set up a 24 hour faff in white. Who lasted the course? I think you can guess..... two Brits....kw and jamforte.
I've severely decreased my faff quotient in the last year. However, the Moon party was one of the best and weirdest days of my life. I got up about 6AM and stayed on almost continuously until past midnight. Didn't go outside, didn't even get out of the pajamas.....I think we had 20+ people in the white box.

It was also the first time I played a show on the Moon, although months before I got a time slot. Many of us were invited by Jim and Avian to create a show to play. It was fantastic. I'm sure the thread for the big day is still around somewhere. The last show was Quantum Jo's rocker, featuring tons of Gamalon.

Thanks for reminding me about that Mossy....
Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
KeithieW

Oh Yeah!!! The Moon anniversary party was a hoot.

Faffing for the whole time was amazing. As Rick said there was an amazing turnout in "white" and the shows put together by the regulars were a delight.

We should definitely attempt something like that again.

On a similar vein I have to mention my surprise 50th Birthday party. A whole 3 and a bit hour show lovingly put together and hosted by Jamforte and the rest of the regulars. Fantastic messages wishing good things for this very emotional old fart and loads of people in the chat room..........I still think about that often. Jam even gave me a recording of the show and a print out of the white room script. Fabulous!!!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Patron

OK I joined Aural Moon for the first time 08-09-2001 under the signature of cpp - I was only a listener for 2½ years until I finally established my Rogor Mortis signature in April 2004 - I had to as I had forgotten my original password. So I've been active ever since and like KW I will say it has made a change. My wife is so jealous of AM as it's such a community of souls who one cares for and follows. Who needs soaps on TV..........

I have since listening to Am bought so many CD as I have and discovered so much music I didn't know existed. The eighties for me and partly the nineties have been the dark ages of prog. But with AM I've been enlightened.

Thanks to Avian for his hard pioneering work and to Jim carrying on. It was nice to hear that Avian is still around as i haven't seen him for a long time. Avian it's time to update the Joomla.............
Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Patron

Quote:
(Sorry for the length of this - it just all came out when looking back on how Aural Moon was created, and what it means to me).
Davin, Sometimes it's best to get a writing exercise done and out of the way all at once, so glad you took the time to do it. While an editted version is good for a FAQ, the full blown version with color commentary was good to read.

P.S. My 19 yr old son saw a Pink Floyd planetarium laser show here in West Palm Beach recently and really enjoyed it, and then saw Roger Waters perform, so to me this says a lot about the fact that "old" prog is relevant as an art form to young 'uns.

Quote:
Davin would have to write that as he started it. I joined the team fairly early on (the "team" was Davin and myself), and can say a few words on that. In late 2000, I was listening to Aural Moon, and Davin posted an ad to the website looking for a program director.
Davin, Jim, et al, Kudos, on what you all have accomplished with AM.

Cheers,
Carl P.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Re: History of Aural Moon (Part 1)

This is all so very interesting. I'd love to contribute more. What could I do? P.S. Don't ask for money!!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:51 PM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildk View Post
This is all so very interesting. I'd love to contribute more. What could I do? P.S. Don't ask for money!!
Just join in and be yourself wildk......that's all you need to do. As much or as little as you want. And it's all free

If you enjoy the Moon you're there!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:35 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
And it's all free
That's easy for you to say! :P

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: