Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 AM

Re: Favorite ELP Song

As I consider ELP's discography - in a humours vein - I have neglected one song that may need to be considered

That song - from the unacclaimed album 'Works 2' and the song is: "So Far To Fall". While it is short, there is interesting music involved, soaring vocals, screaming synths , but the best are the one line of lyrics - raucous from any perspective - outrageous from every other perspecitve

I mean - how can you go wrong with a lyric like: "She did her thang to my thang , like it has never been done before"

So - give it anohter listen - audacious as it is

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Recall votes?

Wonderingly,
Ted
Old 11-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to PeterG

Hodown

(And for the purpose of this review, the version on "Welcom back my friends...")

First i have to comment that , in a general way, I really like to hear people take a song and re interpret it and to "make it their own". Which is why I like many of the 'Tribute' type albums. It is also one factor in going to see Jethro Tull... Ian always seems to 'shine a new light' on his own tunes and that is great (and a different thread, i suppose)

Where was I? Oh Yeah...

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends.... Ladies and Gentleman.... Emerson, Lake and Palmer!

Emerson's rendition of Aaron Copland's Hoedown has energy, style and substance. He takes a 'classical' composition and ... as as we used to say to describe Emersons compositional style.... he "Tears it's limbs off to create a new monster" Great composition and a great opening song for a concert. Palmers drumming is high evergy and gets the concert started.

THAT is why Hoedown is in my Top10 (or 30) ELP Favs.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Hodown

(And for the purpose of this review, the version on "Welcom back my friends...")

First i have to comment that , in a general way, I really like to hear people take a song and re interpret it and to "make it their own".

Emerson's rendition of Aaron Copland's Hoedown has energy, style and substance. He takes a 'classical' composition and ... as as we used to say to describe Emersons compositional style.... he "Tears it's limbs off to create a new monster" Great composition and a great opening song for a concert. Palmers drumming is high evergy and gets the concert started.

THAT is why Hoedown is in my Top10 (or 30) ELP Favs.

Peter - Thanks for your comments. You make a GREAT point - "re-interpretation" - having watched Emerson do it with "Fanfare" and "Tocatta", "Dances Creole", even stuff like "Maple Leaf Rag" and "Honky Tonk Train Blues". Again - the whole group contributes to the overall interpretation and sound.

One thing I seem to have noticed is that Emerson's left hand often plays the same part that Lake's Bass is playing - offering a more "layered" bass sound.

Peter - do most of your re-interpretation comments also apply to "Fanfare" also by Copeland?

BTW - I love the DVD version of Hoedown from "Live at Montreaux" - KE uses his ribbon controller to "rub his backside"! - He does the same thing in another song on the "Live at Royal Albert Hall" DVD. Always the "showman"

So, Peter, Have you enjoyed reading this thread as much as I have? What about you ELPBSS?

Thanks again to ALL the contributors to this thread!!

Typingly yours,
Ted
Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 AM

Speaking of interpretations, Mike Visaggio (whose CD may be on the Moon soon) has one titled "Blues variations", which is the cover of the Emerson cover. I played it a few weeks back on the show. be sure to check it out!

Oh yeah, please chime in on the ELP tribute record thread. A lot of dispararte views, fun reading....
Old 11-22-2006, 10:34 AM

Talking Re: Favorite ELP Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
Speaking of interpretations, Mike Visaggio (whose CD may be on the Moon soon) has one titled "Blues variations", which is the cover of the Emerson cover. I played it a few weeks back on the show. be sure to check it out!

Oh yeah, please chime in on the ELP tribute record thread. A lot of dispararte views, fun reading....
Rick & Roll,

Thanks for including more ELP - even as tributes!! I will check out the ELP tribute record thread.

ALso - has anyone on hear heard of the "remix" cd's from ELP and some famous remix artist? I have the 3CD set - and I go back and forth. I love hearing the samples, but I am not sure that I like the "drum track" - palmer is much, much better!!

Ciao,
Ted
Old 11-22-2006, 06:53 PM

Tarkus is still my favorite, but others have brought up Jerusalem, Pirates and the Copeland covers. I love Jerusalem, but since it's a cover, it doesn't make my ELP favorite list, but it *is* my favorite recording of that song that I know of, Lake's voice on that track is truly great. Pirates is also a great epic, sad that it's not more well known outside circles such as the Moon. As for the Copeland covers, I love 'em all, not that I prefer the ELP versions to a symphony rendition, at least not nowadays, although I admit that when I was younger I thought "Fanfare" was superior because it really rocked. Even though I'm not willing to say the ELP versions of the Copeland Pieces outshine what can be done with a symphony, I still like them quite well. Another favorite of mine is "Still You Turn Me On", again Lake's voice on that tune is incredible.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Progger since 1966

Barbarian !! Its the Power Hammond and Striking Piano. I love the airiness as it gets quite...then all Hell breaks Loose. A sound that they have chased ever since.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:45 PM

From the begining
of course

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: