Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM #192 - King Crimson

I came across an article on the Power of Prog website called 'King Crimson: History in the Making.' Here’s the passage that caught my eye and started all this rambling.

“The first incarnation of the band was said to have been "conceived" on 30 November 1968 and first rehearsed on 13 January 1969.” Well, that’s a 46 year old milestone that passed by last week. Another factoid to go with that came next. “The name King Crimson was coined by lyricist Peter Sinfield as a synonym for Beelzebub, prince of demons. According to Fripp, Beelzebub would be an anglicized form of the Arabic phrases "B'il Sabab", meaning "the man with an aim" (although it literally means "with a cause").” I would certainly say Fripp was a man with a cause. You?

Okay, well, that’s my excuse for why I put together this week’s show. My little tribute to King Crimson will include two albums from them and an album from a group heavily influenced by King Crimson and is often cited as the most like the sound of King Crimson.

I start with King Crimson's 2002 EP entitled Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With. I will follow that up with Vemod by Anekdoten. It was released in 1993. You will see Anekdoten is often said to have the sound of KC. They do, of course, have their own sound and even though the group started as a band covering KC and a few other prog bands.

I will close the show with another EP from King Crimson. It is entitled Level Five and it was released in 2001. Both this and the first album were both recorded live and feature material they were testing for an upcoming album.

I hope you will enjoy this weeks show. See you on the Radio.

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM

Re: COTM #192 - King Crimson

Great Programm as ever , our Dale is unmatchable :-)
KC ( up to 1974) and Anekdoten ( since their ealry recordings) are all time favs of mine
Anekdoten ( or some of its members , bass player/singer Jan Erik Liljeström, guitar player Niklas berg and cellist/mellotron ann Sofi Dahlberg) began as a KC cover band called King Edward. i don't think recorded testimonies of their KE's period exist but they used to play KC songs during their Anekdoten débuts ( a 1994 live version of Cirkus is part of a mega rare norwegian compilation issued in 1995, "This is an orange " Briskeby records BY07 .... i don' own it :-( )
I think JEL is still involved in an excellent Thin Lizzy cover band. TL is also a fav of mine ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: