Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 05:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to TruthInAd Send a message via Yahoo to TruthInAd
Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5

Royksopp - The Understanding
Henry Threadgill - Make a Move
Ecce Hobo - yet unreleased debut CD
Mick Karn - everything
Anything on the And/Oar label
Old 12-23-2005, 11:59 AM

Chaos Code - Propaganda
Kurgan's Bane - Camoflauged In Static
Gary Hoey's Christmas CD's
Gamalon - Aerial View
and a cool Anglagard mixdown from Nearfest when I was at Orion last night
Old 12-24-2005, 02:38 AM

Well i just picked up the new Phish-New years eve 1995(Amazing IMHO)
others
Spock's beard-Octane
Steve Walsh-Glossolalia
King Crimson-Discipline
TSO(since its the holiday's)-The Christmas Attic
Old 12-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Progger since 1966

Holiday presents have been opened!!!!

Santa gave me Just what I need to cram for Wojteks Exam:

Wobbler -Hinterland
Salem Hill -Mimi
Neal -?
Riverside -2nd Life
Niacin -Organik

So what did you guys get?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:26 AM

Re: Holiday presents have been opened!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharcnorris
Santa gave me Just what I need to cram for Wojteks Exam:

Wobbler -Hinterland
Salem Hill -Mimi
Neal -?
Riverside -2nd Life
Niacin -Organik

So what did you guys get?
You just made me realize I didn't get the R30 (Rush) DVD I guess I wasn't good this year.

The only thing I picked up recently was the Chaos Code and the Kurgan's bane (they were free lol). I also got a demo from a thrash band my nephew is in, but you don't want to hear that

I will buy Neal's ? and the Kate Bush. It will be too late to include them on my show this week, but I want to get a sampling before I vote in the poll.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:51 AM

Angels (gift-wise we have Santa on 6th dec and Angels on Christmas) brought me Devin Townsend's Terria. I've got mixed feelings but this is surely one of the most original hard prog albums I've ever heard. Unbelievably beautiful metal ambient soundscapes. On the other hand unfortunately fragments of "metal slaughterhouse", that I consider unpelasant for my ears. Anyway, very intriguing stuff.

Like sharc, I'm also playing Wobbler. Definitely one of my this year favs.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
Angels (gift-wise we have Santa on 6th dec and Angels on Christmas) brought me Devin Townsend's Terria. I've got mixed feelings but this is surely one of the most original hard prog albums I've ever heard. Unbelievably beautiful metal ambient soundscapes. On the other hand unfortunately fragments of "metal slaughterhouse", that I consider unpelasant for my ears. Anyway, very intriguing stuff.

Like sharc, I'm also playing Wobbler. Definitely one of my this year favs.
funny, I've seen Wobbler live but never heard a studio cut. My loss!

saw Devin Townsend "sing" with Steve Vai in 94 on the Sex and Religion tour. I have that record too. He's a bit over-emotive for my tastes, but I haven't kept in touch with his music for the following 10 years. Metal ambient! now that's a new genre!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:37 PM

January playlist

Billy Mahonie - Dust
Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar
Jon Anderson - In the City of Angels
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Sigur Ros - Takk... (still)
Old 01-24-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger -Dot- Lee
I noticed that too as I was putting it together. They're only short because my longs are all in the half hour plus range. Once I find a way of cramming 4 hours of MP3 on a single CD, I'm gonna be in good shape, since I'll only need two CDs for a full day's work with zero repetition.
It's not really that hard. I've been about the task of making mp3 cds that are "The Complete...." works of an artist on one cd. For instance, ripped at 128k, I fit all nine Zeppelin albums, the Page & Plant album, and the two original cuts from the Page & Plant live album all on one disc. Title: The Complete Led Zeppelin. Ripped at 160k I've got A-Manhattan Project and Maraton-Z of Rush on two discs. The Complete Simon and Garfunkel ripped at 320k. The Complete Beatles at 160k.

Shouldn't be too hard. I'm using standard 700M/80 min. discs. All I'm going is figuring out what is the best quality I can rip an artist's complete catalog at and still be under 700M, then viola! I'm using Nero, btw.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:42 AM

Crimson Jazz Trio -- "King Crimson Songbook Volume 1"
This is definitely my favorite album of 2005. Whether or not you're a jazz fan I think you'll enjoy this album.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Progger since 1966

February Mid-Winterlist........

The Award shows are over and I'm still catching up---3 double CD's as well!

Mike Oldfield --Light and Shade
Kate Bush --Aerial
After the Storm --Various Prog Artists
Little Atlas --Wanderlust
and just to rock out....
Mike and the Mechanics --Rewired, the Hits

Old 02-09-2006, 08:23 AM

Same here Sharc,

I just received INDUKTI's S.U.S.A.R. (really, really good. You, Spaz and Poda would love it)

I also picked up Isis' Panopticon for some heavy atmospherics reminiscent of Tool mixed with G!YBE. Not for everyone but really soothes me.

Lastly I got the diametrically opposite to Isis: The Guitar Trio featuring Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin. Some really sweet jazzy classical guitar from the three masters. I am really getting into this lately and would appreciate anyone's recommendation for similar classical guitar/jazz/flamenco type of CD's.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvinki
Same here Sharc,

I just received INDUKTI's S.U.S.A.R. (really, really good. You, Spaz and Poda would love it)

I also picked up Isis' Panopticon for some heavy atmospherics reminiscent of Tool mixed with G!YBE. Not for everyone but really soothes me.

Lastly I got the diametrically opposite to Isis: The Guitar Trio featuring Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin. Some really sweet jazzy classical guitar from the three masters. I am really getting into this lately and would appreciate anyone's recommendation for similar classical guitar/jazz/flamenco type of CD's.
I would be more responsive to this thread but I listen to some seriously non- prog stuff

The Trio has the great "Friday Night in San Francisco" and "Passion Grace and Fire"....
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Progger since 1966

March '06 Playlist

Still...
After the Storm
Oldfields Light and Shade...

Starting Salem Hills BE (thx rick)
Proto-Kaw- Wait of Glory
Helmet of Knats........

Well guys, I really did it now... I'm taking this time and place to tell my friends here at the Moon that Last March 4th I suffered a Minor stroke.
I was supposed to see Rick Wakemans Piano Tour the night before but it was canceled so we stayed home. The next morning I awoke to extreme Double vision and other fun stuff. 4 days in the hospital had them even looking at a spider bite as the cause since one got me 3 weeks earlier
I cannot see to use my puter for now but hope for a return within months with the return of my eyesight. I wish I had the strength to tell Andyyyy about my 13.4 system but it,s all just to hard right now...
For now, I leave the shouting to you. I miss Nadina, Rick and all my Moonbuds very muchand hope to sneak in soon...I'll be home listening............Did I mention I just got JOHN WETTONS DVD Amorata... to think I'll be better within 3 mths. I'll quote the Man

Rendesvous.6-02...........06

Last edited by sharcnorris : 03-13-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 PM

sharc, my thoughts are with you. sending you energy, man.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 PM

Re: March '06 Playlist

Quote:
Still...
After the Storm

Proto-Kaw- Wait of Glory
Helmet of Knats........

Well guys, I really did it now... I'm taking this time and place to tell my friends here at the Moon that Last March 4th I suffered a Minor stroke.
I was supposed to see Rick Wakemans Piano Tour the night before but it was canceled so we stayed home. The next morning I awoke to extreme Double vision and other fun stuff. 4 days in the hospital had them even looking at a spider bite as the cause since one got me 3 weeks earlier
I cannot see to use my puter for now but hope for a return within months with the return of my eyesight. I wish I had the strength to tell Andyyyy about my 13.4 system but it,s all just to hard right now...
For now, I leave the shouting to you. I miss Nadina, Rick and all my Moonbuds very muchand hope to sneak in soon...I'll be home listening............Did I mention I just got JOHN WETTONS DVD Amorata... to think I'll be better within 3 mths. I'll quote the Man

sharc! I'm going into a meeting but just saw this..no wonder I hadn't heard you on Sunday night...I'll read this again later...get well!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
KeithieW

Get well soonest Sharc..............my thoughts are with you.

Loads of positive vibes winging their way from me to you my friend.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvinki
Same here Sharc,

Try http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...983457-5321432
Rite of Strings- Jean-Luc-Ponte, Al DiMeola & Stanley Clark on Bass...it's killer! And if you like that too, you can get the DVD of the performance just before this release at the Montreaux Jazz Fest...

Andy
Old 03-13-2006, 06:43 PM

Re: March '06 Playlist

Quote:
Still...
After the Storm

Proto-Kaw- Wait of Glory
Helmet of Knats........

Yikes! I just saw this! Prayers & positive vibes in your direction! If it's any consolation, the drummer for our local jazz band, the Ron Kobayashi Trio, had a minor stroke too. He's back playing again with the band, so I hope you take a similar path! Please do get well ASAP! I want to hear about that 13.4, whatever it may be...Rendesvous.6-02 What a great tune! You have chosen good music to heal by!

Prog on Bro!
Andy
Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Patron

So sorry to hear about this, sharc. Am very glad you told us. Please take time now to relax, and heal. The nice thing about the Moon is that it doesn't go anywhere. Do what you need for yourself. Sending good thoughts your way, mossy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: