Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM

Return To Forever - Austin, TX -05/29/08 - A Review

RETURN TO FOREVER is AWESOME. It was a GREAT concert. The first concert of a 50 city tour. The band jammed for about 45 minutes, then took a break and came back to play for another 45 minutes or so. After the break, they started an acoustic set - 2 songs - which were at least 20-25 minutes together. Both the acoustic songs were from the Romantic Warrior cD. In one of the two acoustic songs, Stanley Clarke played an solo on the upright bass that lasted 8-10 minutes...starting with the bow, then playing up and down the neck, and toward the end, he was playing the upright bass like a flaminco guitar - WOW, and again WOW. Al DiMeola opened the Acoustic set with a fantasy on the acoustic guitar that was just beautiful.

Each musician in Return to Forever is just AWESOME on their own, but toghter WOW, they have a synergy, where the sum is more than the parts. It is evident that Chick Corea is the band leader, and composer. His main keyboard is the Rhodes. During the acoustic set he played a baby grand piano (maybe it was a full grand - hard to tell, it was always in the shadow) that was just incredible. His synth solos and leads were soaring. He sculpted sound to create an amazing aural experience.

Lenny White kept the groove all night long. He had a couple of 2-6 minute drum solos that were incredible. (I keep using that word alot, because that was what the night was). His single bass drum thumped, the cymbals crashed, and the bass snares were driving. He was rock steady - keeping the beat for the others.
Each band member got a chance to say a few words - and Lenny said "in the age of boy bands, this is a man's band!" All four of the each thanked the audience for their support and encouragement. And how good it was to be together again.

Here is a link to an article that ran in the Austin American Statesman paper: http://www.austin360.com/search/cont...524return.html

And here is a link to a few of the pictures I took - not that great - but I was trying to be inconspicuous - I didn't know if cameras were allowed or not. So the quality is not great, but they are a wonderful memory:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8970067...7605337415181/

I hope YOU get a chance to see them.

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 05-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: Return To Forever - Austin, TX -05/29/08 - A Review

Thanks for the review, ted. I am so stoked to see them all together.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 AM

Thanks Ted! I will see them in August after 26 years...

I still owe you a Phil Keaggy review.

The long acoustic was the title cut from Romantic Warrior.....and it's great to hear Chick gets his proper place as the "leader".

Thanks so much for the pics and the review...glad it was worth the time and effort to see them.

Was this indoor or outdoor?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
Thanks Ted! I will see them in August after 26 years...

I still owe you a Phil Keaggy review.

The long acoustic was the title cut from Romantic Warrior.....and it's great to hear Chick gets his proper place as the "leader".

Thanks so much for the pics and the review...glad it was worth the time and effort to see them.

Was this indoor or outdoor?
Rick,

Thanks! I was awesome. I am waiting - and will continue to wait - for the PK review!

It was an indoor theater. One they occasionally use for bands... most often it is used to show old movies in, especially during the summer.

Regards,
Ted
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 AM
KeithieW

Thanks Ted....

Pam and I go to see them in London in July. It will be awesome I'm sure.

As you say.....WOW!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Thanks Ted....

Pam and I go to see them in London in July. It will be awesome I'm sure.

As you say.....WOW!!!!
KeithieW,

You are welcome. I have been waiting on this a while, and was not disappointed. My loving wife bought the tickets for my birthday, bless her! I was so glad we could go together - even though I know this is not "strictly" her cup of tea. She is a real trooper.

I hope you two have a great experience - please write a review and snap a few pictures to share.

I'll repeat myself: Awesome, Incredible, WOW!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 AM

I read only the first sentence because I don't want any spoilers (damn I just peeked ) Anyways I'll be cathing them 17.7. in Pori, Finland. I hope they still have some energy left and are as awesome as in Austin...
--
We need to pass the torch,
and let our children read our messy and sad history by its light.
--
Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing."
Solid Snake– Metal Gear Solid 2
Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lellu View Post
I read only the first sentence because I don't want any spoilers (damn I just peeked ) Anyways I'll be cathing them 17.7. in Pori, Finland. I hope they still have some energy left and are as awesome as in Austin...
Lellu,

I know you will enjoy the show. I hope they have the energy left too. They gave a GREAT performance last night. What a wonderful memory.

Let us know how the show goes in Pori - if you get a chance - take pictures and post them where we can see! Write us a review and tell us your impresssions!!

Thank you again!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Lellu,

I know you will enjoy the show. I hope they have the energy left too. They gave a GREAT performance last night. What a wonderful memory.

Let us know how the show goes in Pori - if you get a chance - take pictures and post them where we can see! Write us a review and tell us your impresssions!!

Thank you again!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
We try to force ourselves to the front row and hopefully get some decent pictures there I might try to make a review but at least impressions will be guaranteed.

Im getting a bit worried though... It has been really sunny in Finland and im sure rain will come pouring down all day long in Pori-Jazz.

Greetings from Finland!
--
We need to pass the torch,
and let our children read our messy and sad history by its light.
--
Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing."
Solid Snake– Metal Gear Solid 2
Old 05-30-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lellu View Post
We try to force ourselves to the front row and hopefully get some decent pictures there I might try to make a review but at least impressions will be guaranteed.

Im getting a bit worried though... It has been really sunny in Finland and im sure rain will come pouring down all day long in Pori-Jazz.

Greetings from Finland!
Lellu,

Thank you. I will wish dry skies for you for the concert!

Enjoy -and hope to see you soon on the Moon.

Regards,
Ted
Old 05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
la familia patron

Thanks for the review Ted. It's about what I expected to see. I get my chance to see them on the 12th of June here. Good times!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 PM
la familia patron

Well, Fish and I saw RTF last night in SF. It was a good show. I didn't feel the passion was there in their performance, but I hold them to a higher standard. All the guys played well, as to be expected from musicians of that caliber. At times the sound was a bit flat and then a bit muddy. Over all I enjoyed the show. BUT, $95.00 for just over an hour, with no encore. Geeezzz.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:25 AM
No clue anymore

Ahhhhhhh, Yeah. Thats it in a nushell. Somewhat of a letdown in SF.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: