Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think about out current pop-up Now Playing?
I Like It and I Use It 5 45.45%
I Like It, Use It, But.. (specify in post) 4 36.36%
I Don't Use It, Don't Care 0 0%
I Would Use It If.. (specify in post) 1 9.09%
Get Rid of It and Intergrate It w/homepage 0 0%
My Cat's Breath Smells Like Cat Food 1 9.09%
Other... (specify in post) 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Pop Up Playlist

Please write your comments on our current pop-up playlist box. Do you use it? Do you like it? What changes would you like to see to it?
Old 01-12-2002, 05:20 PM
Fossils are Rock!

now playing in real-time

Two complaints should be registered, well not complaints really, just things I have noticed and might be improved:

1. The pop-up window will very often kick-out and must be re-opened. Could be your end, or mine, I have no idea.

2. Current song playing udate often lags by a few minutes, sometimes longer. This is only of concern when I hear something unfamiliar and wish to see who it is. At those times I need to wait until I hear something familiar and then count backwards. Perhaps a time index could be added?

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2002, 01:13 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
The Kick-Out is on our web-server's end. I wish we could get rid of it. When it happens, you don't have to reopen it. If you're using Windows, right click on the window and select Refresh. That'll do it.

Hmmm... the current song should be early if anything (because your stream might lag behind slightly). The
"old" one might do this. Is the URl of the Now Playing page that you're using playing http://www.auralmoon.com/playing.php3 ?

Let me know if it's something different.

Avian
Old 01-13-2002, 01:29 AM
Owner Emeritus

It just occured to me what you're seeing.

The window is set to refresh once every 60 seconds. If a new song comes on, it might be as long as 60 seconds until it reloads the new page in. You can just right-click and select Refresh in the window whenever a new song comes up and the window hasn't updated yet. It then should always give you the latest info.

Hmmm...a refresh button on there might be a little handier, eh?

Avian
Old 01-13-2002, 07:34 AM
Fossils are Rock!

Yes, that's the address my window indicates.

Concerning the lag time, once I opened my big mouth, I decided to check...the lag was never more that about a minute-and-a-half during those tests.
Perhaps those instances I recall a longer lag were in fact a result of the kick-out problem.
In any case, the right-click refresh works fine, and solves my problem quite nicely.
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2002, 10:37 PM

I Like It, Use It, But...

it's a little too long. the previous twenty is unnecessary to me. ten is perfect. Considering the length of a lot of the material, could log on and see what played literally four or five hours ago. It's a little excessive. Otherwise, I love it. good to see who-did-that-piece-I-liked and stuff, but once you see it, there's no need to keep it there forever. It's a BIG window too. Ok I've repeated redundantly so I'll shut up now.

Yesspaz out.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
I like it, I use it, but...

My biggest pet peeve about web browsers is the damn pop-ups. When I listen to AM, I love having the playlist around (minimized most of the time however) to see what's already been requested or just to see what others are into. Sometimes I only come to the site to read the forums or the updates, and it is at those times the playlist bugs me. I think the list shouldn't necessarily be an automatic pop-up window. Instead, there should just be a button or link on the main page so that those who want it can bring it up.

I also find the problems with the list auto-refreshing and generating errors annoying as well, but I don't really have any ideas for fixing that.

Hope I could help
Old 01-14-2002, 10:15 AM

I like it, I use it, but ..

Same comments as Dinosaur. Maybe even a link to the band's website or your own comments on the band and/or music.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:48 PM
Owner Emeritus

We can do that - we can link to the band's UBL listing or AllMUsic Profile, if they have one.

These are all good suggestions. The windows used to be small, but then we were having problems with folks requesting songs that had played a fewe hours before, etc. Maybe I'll make it small again.

I'm leaning toward putting a button on the homepage that would popup the Playlist Window..

Avian
Old 01-15-2002, 12:53 PM

My Cat's Breath Smells Like Cat Food

I like the "now playing" pop-up and use it when listening(and sometimes to decide if I will listen if something catches my eye). I could do without it being a pop-up though for the times I'm only checking the forums. I can be a minor pain when "clicking back" to the main menu and it pops up again. For me, it would be best as a link to bring up from the main page only when I wanted to see it. Hope this helps..... And yes, my cats breath always smells like cat food !
Old 01-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Owner Emeritus

It may LOOK like the old Now Playing window - but it aint! Through extensive research with robot monkeys, we've shortened the list to 7 songs, and now you can click on the artists' name, it'll light up, and you'll be taken to their allmusic profile (if one exists).

You can also click on their name in the info window.

AND it doesn't pop up anymore. You have to click on the What's Playing text on the sidebar to get the window.

Have fun!

Avian
Old 01-16-2002, 06:48 AM

Thumbs up The link to allmusic

Sweet. I really like the link to allmusic. Nice touch !
Old 01-24-2002, 03:15 PM

Unhappy I would use it if..

I would use it if...It worked!
Its not working for me. Any suggestions?

Ster2112
Old 01-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Owner Emeritus

As of right now, if it doesn't work, you're probably using some really ancient browser like Netscape 4.7 or something. I'm trying to fix it for the really old browsers, but until then, get Netscape 6 or use IE5

I assuming you're clicking on "What's Playing Now?" at the top? (not the link on the bottom - I have to remove that)
Old 01-24-2002, 08:49 PM

Thanks

Thats it!
I was using Netscape4.7.
I am now using IE5 and presto..works like a charm.
Thanks. I think the new window is great..better control and the links are cool too. I did like it better when there were more songs listed but there is still plenty.
Thanks again

PS. This Canvas Prog Hour is awesome, my first one!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: