Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2004, 09:05 PM

Smile Evolution of Jazzraptor

Here's a new review of my album:

http://www.progressor.net/review/jack_foster_2003.html

I've suspended sales from my site, but Musea Records will re-design and re-release the album for world-wide distribution in March or April!

People can e-mail me at jack@jazzraptor.com, if they're interested.

regards all,

Jack
Old 01-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Patron

Thanks, Jack.

I've heard good things about your work, through the grapevine.

Congrats on the re-release....must be very exciting.

m
Old 01-29-2004, 01:24 AM

Hi Mossy!

Are you counting me as "the grapevine"? I'm the only one who seems to be talking about it! LOL!

Thank you for the very kind words. Yes, Musea picking up the album is definitely a bit of validation that feels quite good! There's so much great music out there, (and even MORE mediocre music!) that it's tough for a new artist to even get anybody to take notice. The fact that Musea gave it a spin makes me feel greatful to them right off the bat.

I'm also looking forward to see how the album is redesigned. They're talking about bringing a really superb artist into the mix. (I won't mention his name, just in case that doesn't happen.)

Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM

Hi all:

I don't want to be an obnoxious tooter of my own horn, but . . . hey, I yam what I yam!

EoJ has received its first airplay. It's in rotation now at progrock.com, and it's listed under "j" for jack foster, iii. (That's me!) Ironically, I haven't figured out how to listen there yet! I've got a Mac, and they're streaming oog vorbis on winamp. But that's ok. I've got several hundred copies of the CD lying around the house anyway!

Likewise, Radio Krakow 102.4 FM's Arthur Chachlowski had me featured last night (well . . . tonight actually, but the show's over already, and it's been tomorrow there for a long time!) on his weekly radio show. There's also a review of the album (in polish, so I have NO idea how I did!) and a low-fi mp3 of the entire 2 hour show up on the station's site!:

http://www.mlwz.prv.pl/

click "audio" then 2/4 on the callendar. (It's funny for me to listen to! Announcer: blah, blah, blah, blah, Jack Foster, blah, blah . . .)

Here's what others are saying:

Quote:
". . . give this guy Jack Foster an award of any kind. . . true epic music that will never die."

Melodic.net

" . . . the cd as a whole is an excursion into a new world of musical ideas that very few if any artists have attempted. . . . If you are looking for an artist that is daring to expand the definitions of today's progressive standards, go to the Jazzraptor website and check out some samples of this innovative artist."

ProGGnosis

"Overall, "The Evolution of JazzRaptor" is a brilliant album and is so much to my taste that I'll rate it as a super-masterpiece and place it among my favorites of 2003."

ProgressoR.net
Don't bother going to my site. Nothing much there now. I've suspended sales because I've assigned rights. The re-designed album will be available from Musea Records come April. Mattias Noren will do the artwork. Check out progart.com for samples of his work!

Incidentally . . . I'm not posting this stuff all over the web! This is my 'net hangout of first choice these days. I really like the people here, and I LOVE the music! No wait. I LOVE the people and LIKE the music! Yeah, that's what I meant.

I'll try not to be TOO obnoxious about all of this. Hey, I'm excited! Avian . . . tell me if I go over the line.

regards to all AMers,

Jack
Old 02-18-2004, 08:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r
Great album. Can't believe how well done this album is from recording to writing to production. A great addition to anyone's collection. Now just added to the aural moon playlist. Enjoy.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
A wonderful addition to our playlist. It combines jazz and progressive rock with a good pop sensability.

Great job jazzraptor!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:59 AM
KeithieW

How do I get my hands on a copy????

Wow!!

What a find AND it's by one of the AM crowd.

I must have this in my collection.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:12 AM

WOW!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

When I heard a track this morning I thought "Wow!! This is the most interesting/exciting sound that I have heard in a long time!" I'll be picking the CD up soon.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:59 PM

Hi Chris, Avian, Keithie, and zvinki!

Thank you all for the kind words. And thank you Avian and Jim for adding the album to the Aural Moon playlist! I'll promise right now that I won't request it myself; I don't think that would be right.

I've just recently seen the new Musea cover, and it's really cool! I've got a jpeg here of course, but I can't show it, because it's not on-line anywhere!

The album should be available from Musea in April.

regards,

Jack
Old 02-22-2004, 04:59 PM

an amateur's review

Jack,

Thank you for the copy of your release. I've heard each song three times - and fortunately I had a long drive today so I could concentrate. I had a friend burn me 40 CD's, so I'm pleased I got yours in under the wire!

I'll get the (few nitpicking) negatives out of the way. It is very difficult to constuct an entire CD as a "solo" effort". In other words, bands that work together all of the time are able to mold a unique sound. A songwriter rercord sometimes loses a perspective that other band members can give. That's evident by your liner notes praising the reworking of your original ideas.

Some of the songs are bit repetitive at the end of the tracks. Again that's a minor thing.

Now to the fun part. I was really impressed by your song structures, they are very interesting. The Shy Ones is a beautiful song, just really well put-together. Great contrast with the song prior (Sting) and the song following (Tiger Bone Wine). I'm going to wake up tonight singing "hey kitty" and quite probably get into trouble.

The production and the vocals are really top-notch. You have some serious talent.

I especially like the stuff you do that evokes (for me) Paul Weller, like the midsection of "Feel It When I Sting". A lot of soul in that cut.

Thanks again Jack, and continued success!
Old 02-23-2004, 11:39 PM

Hi Rick:

Thanks for your comments. I think you're right that there's a huge difference between a band album and a solo album, but I think there's actually less pressure placed on the artist of the solo album. A band tries to develop some kind of band sound or identity. In my opinion, I didn't have that sort of requirement, because my vocals provided a natural unifying element for the album. But I can see how people might disagree; there is a lot of range on the album for ONE album! Personally I like a broad variety of music, so I didn't balk at that sort of inclusion.

Part of what I've enjoyed about the feedback is that there is no one or two favorites on the album; different people prefer different songs. I think that's true BECAUSE of the range! The kids like "Tiger Bone Wine". A more sophisticated ear prefers "Nirvana In The Notes". People who like roots stuff like "Cats' Got Nine". There's really something on the album for everybody I think, but certainly that "feature" doesn't sit well with some people.

Thanks for the review, for your praise, and for your insightful comments! See you 'round AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Patron

should have asked you to sign the CD:cool:

you know i fell in love with the cd...nirvana did it...even if i wasn't familiar with you through AM i would want that cd. i like dream with you also, lucifer's rat, sting, smile, cat's, bohemian and i even went and downloaded your original nirvana...

altogether and excellent musical piece...vocals thrill me...instumentally sound!

waiting for more.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:03 PM

Geez poda! Thanks for the kind words! Yours is the sort of reaction that makes it all worthwhile for me, . . . whether what I'm doing is "successful" or not! I truly appreciate it.

Yes, there will be at least one more jazzraptor album. Trent, Robert and I plan to spend a little bit of time every week. We've got drafts of four songs now (out of ten), and we've scheduled time for the next month or so.

regards,

Jack

P.S. -- the new EoJ cover can be seen at www.progart.com. Go to "covers" and then Jack Foster, iii.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Patron

it's icing on the cake

jazz, when you can actually do what you love...not all of us can...i get a smathering from time to time...inner artist that i am.

keep pluggin at it...i'm still listening.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:28 AM

Jazzraptor, what is the official release date of your new cd. Maybe we could have a release party on Aural Moon.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris!

I don't know if the date has been scheduled or not. I know that they're being manufactured right now, and Musea has always said, "sometime in April". I'll ask!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzraptor

Likewise, Radio Krakow 102.4 FM's Arthur Chachlowski had me featured last night (well . . . tonight actually, but the show's over already, and it's been tomorrow there for a long time!) on his weekly radio show. There's also a review of the album (in polish, so I have NO idea how I did!)
I listen to Artur's show and can know what it is written there
Old 03-23-2004, 09:46 AM

Hi Wojtek:

Well . . . here goes nothing!:

Nazwisko Jacka Fostera z pewno_ci_ nic nie mówi nawet tej grupie czytelników MH., którzy interesuj_ si_ nowo_ciami z kr_gu prog rocka. Bo chyba taka etykietk_ nale_a_oby przyklei_ albumowi „Evolution Of Jazzraptor”, który z ko_cem ubieg_ego roku ukaza_ si_ na ameryka_skim rynku muzycznym. Jack to gitarzysta i bardzo utalentowany kompozytor, który niniejszym debiutem odwa_nym krokiem wchodzi w nieliczny kr_g bezkompromisowych i poszukuj_cych artystów, dla których liczy si_ przede wszystkim pi_kno granej przez siebie muzyki, a ewentualna s_awa w postaci wielkiego sukcesu komercyjnego nie stanowi warto_ci samej w sobie. Najwy_szy szacunek budzi lista muzyków, którymi Jack otoczy_ si_ przy nagrywaniu swojej, b_d_ co b_d_, pierwszej p_yty. A wi_c s_yszymy na niej braci Trenta i Wayne’a Gardnerów (Magellan). I nie ma co ukrywa_, te magellanowskie klimaty co rusz pobrzmiewaj_ w muzyce Fostera. Jest jeszcze jeden wa_ny zaproszony go__: Robert Berry – cz_owiek znany z tak udanych przedsi_wzi__, jak trio 3 (do spó_ki z Keithem Emersonem i Carlem Palmerem , a pod nieobecno__ Grega Lake’a nagrali w 1986r. niezapomniany album „To The Power Of Three”), czy The December People. Ci trzej muzycy wspomagaj_ Fostera w niemal ka_dym utworze, tak wi_c ich udzia_ nie ogranicza si_ jedynie do pojedynczego sola, czy okazjonalnej sekwencji d_wi_ków. Wyra_nie odcisn_li oni swoje pi_tno na kompozycjach Fostera. Dlatego wydaje mi si_, _e jego muzyczne propozycje przypadn_ do gustu przede wszystkim sympatykom towarzysz_cych mu muzyków A _e fanów Magellana i Berry’ego jest w_ród progrockowych fanów sporo, polecam zatem ich uwadze t_ w_a_nie p_yt_. Nie b_d_ zawiedzeni. Szczególnie mog_ spodoba_ im si_ przeurocze ballady „Every Time You Smile” i „DreamWith You” z _adnymi, _atwo wpadaj_cymi w ucho melodiami. Na specjalne wyró_nienie zas_uguje te_ otwieraj_cy p_yt_ utwór „Bohemian Soul” z fenomenaln_ parti_ saksofonu (Ken Stout). Przyznam szczerze, _e ostrzy_em sobie z_by na najd_u_sz_ na ca_ej p_ycie kompozycj_ „Nirvana In The Notes”. 14 minut?... Czu_em przez skór_, _e musi by_ dobrze, bo takie rozmiary budz_ najwi_ksze zainteresowanie w_ród sympatyków art rocka. Niestety, zawiod_em si_. I wynudzi_em. Dlatego zamiast najwy_szej noty album „Evolution Of Jazzraptor” otrzymuje „tylko” 4.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:09 PM

Sorry for my English - it's not on a very high level

"Jack Foster is surely unknown also for those MH readers, who are interested in progressive rock news. He is a guitarist, very talented composer and, with Evolution of Jazzraptor, enters the ring of sparse, uncompromising and searching artists, for whom matters mainly the beauty of played music, not possible fame and commercial success. I have a big respect for all musicians, who Jack surrounded with. (here comes a report on the players - so it's unnecessary to translate). Their presence left their stamps on Foster's music. That's why I think that his compositions will be taken a liking to especially by fans of Jack's accompanying musicians. So fans of Magellan and Berry surely won't be disappointed. They won't especially because of extremely charming ballads 'Every Time You Smile' and 'Dream With You', both with beautiful and catchy melodies. Also the first track on the album 'Bohemian Soul' deserves special mention (it has superb Ken Stout's performance on sax).
To be honest I set my sights on the longest composition, 'Nirvana In The Notes'. And I got bored. That's why I'll not give Evolution of Jazzraptor the highest note, but "only" 4."

Without a doubt it is a positive review Jazz. MH has a scale consisting of 5 or 6 degrees - I don't remember exactly. So you got 4/5 or 4/6 - in both cases a high note. Well, after this review I'm waiting for your album premiere in Europe.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:35 PM

Nirvana in the Notes is one of my two favorite songs on the album, what is he talking about. Great review tho. Thanks for the translation Wojtek.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: