Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2004, 11:51 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Jazzraptor's Debut

Quote:
Originally posted by teermin8r
Jazzraptor, what is the official release date of your new cd. Maybe we could have a release party on Aural Moon.
I would be honored to be able to debut it, personally. And judging by the review that Woj just translated, it sounds like it's going to be a VERY nice album. Congrats!
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:34 AM

Hi Woj! Thank you so much for the translation! I had hints of course that it was good. Hey, 4 out of 5 can't be that bad, right? I realize that it had to take some time to translate, and I appreciate it.

"Nirvana" is the controversial song on the album. It appears to be the favorite here on the moon, but several reviewers have commented negatively. One guy called the length a "knee-clenching" fourteen minutes! LOL! Even Progressor, who has given the best review that the album has received called the track over-extended. I polled people in the white room one day, and people here seem to like it just the way it is.

I would be honored Roger, if you would be the first to debut it after its official release! Thank you very much. All they've told me so far is "April", but I'll post here when I know.

regards,
Old 04-11-2004, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r
Here is another review of the album I just found and wanted to share with all.
http://www.silverdb.com/MUSIC_DBCDInfo.asp
Old 04-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Patron

what the Frell do they know Jazz

i know what I like. and with any luck listeners will listen more due to any "controversy" and make up their own minds.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:31 AM
El Queso Grande

Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by teermin8r
Here is another review of the album I just found and wanted to share with all.
http://www.silverdb.com/MUSIC_DBCDInfo.asp
Poo! That url gives an error. I shant go TOO far out of my way mentioning that it's a MICROSOFT SQLSERVER ERROR

Roger "Real OSs 'R' Us" Dot Lee

ps: I'm thinking of making that my real middle name.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
That's because it tries to access the page without the javascript code it gets from the previous page. In other words, you can't go directly to the review. You need to go to http://www.silverdb.com/Main.asp and click on the review (scroll down a little) from there. That way it knows which review to pull from the SQL Server.

As much as I love Micro$oft bashing, in this case it's really not their fault.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:43 AM

a first

This might be the first intelligent review I have read!

I like the review not because it likes the record, but because it actually explains in a coherent manner why, not using hackneyed "reviwer speak".

I'm going to check out the site down the line to see if there are further reviews of interest.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 AM

Back from the slopes!

There are actually two reviews at proggnosis (Thanks, teer!): Nuno's and MJBrady's. I think both of them are thoughtful reviews.

One of the best reviews in terms of accurate description can be found over at the Dutch Progressive Rock Page (www.dprp.net). The most creative is Progressor's of course. And my favorite bad review can be found at Sea of Tranquility:

“Like a college student who bounces around from subject to subject without picking a major, Jack Foster goes through a myriad of styles on this disc without ever settling into one. Since many of these students leave school to get jobs where they wear name tags and repeat lines like: "You want fries with that?" all day long, I would suggest to Mr Foster that he pick a style and develop it fully.”

"Want fries with that?" That cracked me up!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 AM

Jack...

yes the first review is the good one. The second starts falling into the "reviewerspeak" trap.

I do like the "fries" comment, but what gets me is the "pick a style". For what? For that person's convenience? While there were some parts of the record that I did not like as much, I explained why. That gobbledygook about not settling into a style is just a smokescreen for "I really didn't listen to the entire song". And the use of humor, albeit very funny, also tries to mask that fact.

I'll have to read the Dutch one too I see. Oh well, it's only tax season......
Old 04-13-2004, 11:07 AM
El Queso Grande

OK, OK, I'll give it another shot.

Quote:
Originally posted by moses
You need to go to http://www.silverdb.com/Main.asp and click on the review (scroll down a little) from there.

As much as I love Micro$oft bashing, in this case it's really not their fault. [/b]
OK, after I get some decent sleep, I'll give it another rip.

Oh, and for the record: It's ALWAYS Microsoft's fault. I'll be that with a little investigation, we could probably blame the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake on him!

( for the humor impaired. )

Anyway, I'll give it a look.

Who Framed Roger Rabid?

Old 04-13-2004, 11:12 AM

LOL, Rick! Hey thanks for the support.

Incidentally, I notice that the album has been released! There are several sites that are selling it on-line now, including musearecords.com.

I guess I'll have to buy one!

(Just kidding. I've got several hundred! But I do hope they send me a copy of the new version. Maybe they already have! Damn Atlantic Ocean.)
Old 04-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Owner/Program Director

one more review, not a lot of substance but very favorable:
http://www.artist-shop.com/musea/index.htm

they are proclaiming it "a serious contender for best album of 2004"

this site's reviews are generally positive, but that's the best one I've seen there - congrats!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:15 PM

Smile

They've pulled that blurb directly from the musea records site! That's marketing, Jim; not a review!

But I probably should just shut up . . .

Here are a few more REAL reviews:

Prognaut
http://www.geocities.com/prognaut/re...ck-foster.html
“. . . given a chance, Jack Foster could be a name in progressive music in years to come.”

Dutch Progressive Rock Page
http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200405.html
“Overall, then, this is a quality album where the standard of song-writing and musicianship rarely dip. Apart from Nirvana In The Notes, which non-jazz fans may find a little hard-going in places, it’s an accessible release which should have a wide appeal – although perhaps its very diversity may act against it, especially given the way that music is so compartmentalised so much these days. As to whether it’s an album that will appeal to the average prog fan, that’s again open to debate; I’ve perhaps erred on the side of caution with my rating, but I’d say that those with an open mind and who like some diversity in their music should certainly investigate further.”

The Hairless Heart Herald
http://www.camelesk.demon.co.uk/hair...art-herald.htm
“Evolution Of JazzRaptor, to use the English middle-class sensitive variation of the American vernacular, kicks bottom. Jack draws on jazz, funk, rock, metal along with a large dose of progressive rock hitting on riffs and melodies that one would assume are influenced to some extent by both Trent and Robert.”

rockreport.be
http://www.rockreport.be/review.asp?id=599
“. . . an album that could well impress a lot of people, provided you can appreciate a mix of progressive rock with classical music, blues rock and even some jazz and country. I know this sounds a bit strange, but listen to the result and you’ll agree that it works one way or another. Admitted, it took me a couple of spins before I fully appreciated this album, but isn’t that a sign of true art? It wouldn’t surprise me if we’ll here more about this Foster III in years to come. Let’s wait and see…”

Progressive Ears
http://www.progressiveears.com/asp/r...p?albumID=2696
“Evolution Of Jazzraptor is a very challenging mix of different styles, and will take a broad mind to accept the uncomfortable juxtaposition of almost incompatible genres. You’ll find adult pop, jazz, blues, and even a smidgen of progressive rock here – often mixed together in a single song. . . . (The funny thing is – once you get used to that gaudy mosaic of disparate styles, it becomes rather easy on the ears!)”
Old 04-13-2004, 09:26 PM

[quote]Originally posted by jazzraptor
[b]

It wouldn’t surprise me if we’ll here more about this Foster III in years to come. Let’s wait and see…”

Hey who is this Foster III cat? Is he a Dutch composer, like Thijs van Leer? (Jack this Foster III) - or a Jack III in the Green (actually selling a prog record there's no green). Sounds like a third-generation beer or a jazz robot.

I can see them sitting around saying "Yeah this Foster III's got potential)!

See what I mean about little cutesy-review word play?

Well it wouldn't surprise me either, since he's here now!
Or is it "hear" - see the misuse of the word above
Old 04-13-2004, 09:29 PM

look what I started. Hee Hee.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:39 PM

Hi all:

Two news items. 1: Evolution Of Jazzraptor has finally secured U.S. Distribution. It'll be in stores in just over three months. The focus will be markets that have some version of progressive music radio; that's only about 20 stations nationally.

2: I've mentioned to some people that the new album has been written. I won't record vocals 'til the end of the year, and the album won't be ready until 2005. But I do have one song where all the recording is finished, and it's at rough mix stage. The MP3 is about 6 Megs. If the Moon wants to preview it sometime, I could e-mail to Jim or Avian or DotLee. It's called "Heaven On Earth", and it's really a beautiful ballad, IMHO. Up to you, guys. (It shouldn't be made available for request until it reaches it's final mixed and mastered version.)

regards,

Jack
Old 05-21-2004, 06:37 PM
El Queso Grande

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzraptor
The MP3 is about 6 Megs. If the Moon wants to preview it sometime, I could e-mail to Jim or Avian or DotLee. It's called "Heaven On Earth", and it's really a beautiful ballad, IMHO. Up to you, guys. (It shouldn't be made available for request until it reaches it's final mixed and mastered version.)
If Jim or Avian don't want it (and I find that possibility to be extremely remote at worst and nonexistent at best), I'll definitely take it. If worse comes to worst, I'll point in a different direction, shout OOH! IT'S ELVIS! and sneak it in behind their backs.

Seriously, go ahead and send it to me. rlee@halibut.com (I haven't pestered Avian for an auralmoon.com account yet. I probably should). Just make sure you put the tune name and a mention of Aural Moon in the subject header. That way it'll get past my spam filters.

Roger -Dot- Lee

Old 05-21-2004, 08:15 PM

Heaven On Earth

Hi Roger:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll send the mp3 right now. Hope you like it!

regards,

Jack
Old 05-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Owner/Program Director

JR,

I'd love to hear a copy of the mp3 too....
Old 05-23-2004, 07:48 AM

me three.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: