Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Talking COTM - Feature #52 - Iceberg

COTM – Feature #52 – Iceberg

I’m not sure why, but I have been seeing a lot of things about the Titanic lately, from articles about museum exhibits, replicas at Dollywood and other parks, and such things. I’m sure you know where that leads me…. Yep, thinking about Icebergs. So what better way to carry on that thought than a visit in the way back machine with DJ Dale to the mid-70’s and the best, no let me clarify that, THE best fusion and progressive rock bands to come from Spain.

Iceberg comes from Barcelona officially coming onto the international scene in 1975 with their first release Tutankhamon. You will find Spanish prog described in two ways. One is flamenco-rock, which was the fusion of progressive rock with flamenco. This was probably best exemplified by Iceberg with their 1976 release Coses Nostres. But you can listen to any album by Iceberg and here the jazz influences on the music.

The original band members were: Max Suñé (guitar), Josep Mas "Kitflus" (keys), Primi Sancho (bass), Jordi Colomer (drums) and Angel Riba (voice, only in the first record). I would match these musicians, pretty much note to note, with those of the group Return to Forever. Yep, they are THAT good. You will hear the influences of Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, and John McLaughlin (among many others). Carlos Santana is also an obvious influence, but really what they all share is what is inherent in the heritage of Spanish music and flamenco. That is where their rhythms and style come from.

This episode #52 will feature Iceberg’s first two releases (Tutankhamon and Coses Nostres). I will toss in a track from their one live album Iceberg En Directe from 1978. Recorded in Madrid, it features 3 long songs that were never released on a previous album (how fresh). I will only be able to play the 17 minute track from side one.

I hope you can join me, sink or swim. See you on the Corner of the Mooniverse Friday, April 6 @ 2100 est, or Monday, April 12 @ 1200 est.

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: COTM - Feature #52 - Iceberg

Fish - do you know who did the re-release and from whom
may we purchase them?

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Administrator

http://synphonic.8m.com/country/spain.htm

ICEBERG - Fusion masters
TUTANKHAMON (DIGIPACK) $20
COSES NOSTRES $20
COSES NOSTRES (DIGIPACK) $20
SENTIMENTS (DIGIPACK) $20
ARC-EN-CIEL (DIGIPACK) $20
EN DIRECTE $20

Googling a bit more found this: http://www.recordheaven.net/index.cfm?x=browseLabel&sc=&ob=pr&so=ASC&pp=25&sl= true&ID=4448&iID=51851 :

ICEBERG

Tutankhamon = Digipack = (CD)

Debut album from '75. Well competent progressive with a little stain of jazzrock. More comparable to the 70's italian instrumental progg bands. Recommended one !! New digipack version.

Specifications

Type: CD
Recorded: 1975
Release Date: 2003-10-18
Label: Picap Records
Item No: CD802026

A look at Picap Records' Artists finds Iceberg: http://www.actualrecords.com/biograf...en&codi=802022

"Picap S.L. distributes its entire product range through Actual Records Distribució in order to allow its products to reach customers quickly and easily."

Art

Last edited by artw : 04-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Thank you Art. Great research. Everyone will need that after they hear them for the first time.

Those of us who know them already may have to plunk down some dough for newer and cleaner copies.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Administrator

And for those _NOT_ in Canada, you can simply buy them at Amazon :

search artist=Iceberg

For some reason that search leaves out their Live album:

Iceberg-En-Directe

Amazon Suck!

Cheers,
Art
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Thank goodness there are people out there who are willing to go out of their way to help others!

Thank you very much, friend!

And thanks Dale, for featuring Iceberg ... they're fantastic!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: