Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Forum Upgrade

No doubt by now, you've noticed that we've upgraded the forum to the latest and greatest software!

We're fixing the color scheme - so don't worry about that. Our old version was so old, it couldn't translate the old color scheme.

This has tons of new features, some of which you can explore - others will become available later. It looks like it runs slower than the old version on this web server - but I think it wil run faster on the new one.

If you have any problems post them here - I'd be happy to help! ALso post your new feature discoveries here too - I'm learning about this software, too!

Avian
Old 10-06-2005, 04:14 AM
Patron

Much easier to read - stick to this color scheme - Please
Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 AM

wow! cool. thanks for all the work, guys!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:34 AM

Me too. I'm learning. Good so far, but must wait til I get home...
Old 10-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
I could keep this color scheme, or use one like it - what does everyone think of light vs. dark? I could probably find something in between.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian
I could keep this color scheme, or use one like it - what does everyone think of light vs. dark? I could probably find something in between.
Ewww, as soon as I opened the new forums I thought, "Oh no they didn't!" My first thought was "too bright." Make it dark again. I also had a lot of trouble finding my number 1 feature: "View New Posts." The number one thing I did not want to change for the new station was the forums! If you promise this will be better, ok, but already I don't like it. It's WAAAY to busy. The Private Message thing is a headache.

But, as long as we can get the color scheme back to something dark and therefore easy on the eyes, I'm cool.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Owner Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz
Ewww, as soon as I opened the new forums I thought, "Oh no they didn't!" My first thought was "too bright." Make it dark again. I also had a lot of trouble finding my number 1 feature: "View New Posts." The number one thing I did not want to change for the new station was the forums! If you promise this will be better, ok, but already I don't like it. It's WAAAY to busy. The Private Message thing is a headache.

But, as long as we can get the color scheme back to something dark and therefore easy on the eyes, I'm cool.
Well, again, we can move anything around wherever we want as far as where links and buttons appear, as well as colors. The "template" is completely configurable. The colors are temporary while we remake a new color scheme - the other one didn't transfer over. But we couldn't stay with 2+ year old version of this software, and not take advantage of this new version, since the integration of the forums and the website requires a newer version than we were running . We can make it look exactly like the old forum, if we want to. But I'll probably try some different things, so if you have any wants, let me know so I can incorporate them into the new forum layout.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:45 AM

My first reaction was visceral. But I like the new forum. As for the color...I'll adjust to the masses.

Questions:

It appears I have to log in each time I reply to an email (then a post). Is that just me (today I am remotely accessing email)?

Does the "vbulletin" logo need to be so prominent? If so, I understand.

What's wrong with the pm?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Owner Emeritus

THe color will not stay - it is just temporary. The logo will go away - all teh stylings are just temprary vetiges from the upgrade. You'll see it looking better soon.

Are you having problems with teh private messages?

Rick: Do you have "remember me" set in the login box, or do you have cookies disabled? you might have to recheck that.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:43 AM

gotcha.........
Old 10-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Owner Emeritus

One interesting feature of the new forums is that you can pick your OWN preferred colors and styles from a list. I'm making a few to choose from, including dark, light and even wild ones. They'll appear in a pull-down in the lower left.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Owner Emeritus

Apparantly, the search function was broken after the upgrade. It should be fixed now. Let me know of any problems you encounter.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Patron

I like the new brightness of the forums. I agree with Rogor, much better to read. I would keep the colors as they are now
Old 10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Patron

Colors

But if there is a personal choice -Fine, Great - I can stay light and Spaz can remain in the Dark Ages
Old 10-06-2005, 04:34 PM

I like the colors, but choices are good. the only thing I don't like is the vertical space taken up by the avatars. I liked the old avatar to the left, and the post next to it rather than under. lots more scrolling this way...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Owner Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger
I like the colors, but choices are good. the only thing I don't like is the vertical space taken up by the avatars. I liked the old avatar to the left, and the post next to it rather than under. lots more scrolling this way...
We can rearrange that.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:09 PM

Hideous!

I feel like I'm in a da Vinci portrait...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Keep trying....

I prefer light to dark personally, & something that evokes the moon. This has the feel of the game "Jewel Quest".
Old 10-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Owner Emeritus

I did a quick mod to this theme meant for a dungeons and dragon type board, but I was thinking that with a little work, redoing icons, some elements and the like, we could modify this into an Olias of Sunhillow meets Aural Moon kind of template. Again, it's something quick and dirty for you guys to get an idea of what this software can do. Just a little demo. Remember, you can always choose what template you want to use - so if you don't like one, or feel like a mood switch just use that menu down below. But I think we'll offer several that eople like.

BTW, I wanted to verify that you guys were seeing that Quick Style Chooser drop down menu at the bottom there. Let me know if you're not seeing it.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:01 PM

I don't see it, but mebbe I'm not looking in the right place...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: