Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
New Audio Server Discussion

The new audio server has been installed! Thanks to everyone who contributed funds for us to make this major upgrade. It has solved a lot of issues we've been dealing with, and it opens the door for tons of really great improvements and new features. It's always an amazing sight to see how much the Aural Moon community comes together to support our collective musical voyage.

The new server is a Dell SC1425 Dual 2.8 Ghz Xeon with 1 GB RAM, and like our old server, resides in our Chicago datacenter. It has a new 300 GB hard drive all ready for tons of new music, but of course, contains everything from our original extensive music library.

Use this thread to report any concerns or strangeness you hear - or for that matter good things! In addition to the new hardware, we're also running a new version of the streaming software (SAM). I know some people have noticed an increase in sound quality, and there are many more features to come!

We've had one bug report already that crossfading of the songs gets turned on automatically somehow - unfortunately, you can't turn it off again easily without inconvenience to the listener. I hope they'll address that bug in the future - meanwhile we'll keep an eye on it, and try and keep working on the issue.

Thanks again for your support again, and enjoy! Were movin on up!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:25 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: New Audio Server Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian
It's always an amazing sight to see how much the Aural Moon community comes together to support our collective musical voyage.
AuralMoon has the best people on earth... or would that be on the moon?

Quote:
We've had one bug report already that crossfading of the songs gets turned on automatically somehow - unfortunately, you can't turn it off again easily without inconvenience to the listener. I hope they'll address that bug in the future - meanwhile we'll keep an eye on it, and try and keep working on the issue.
Fixed!

Quote:
Thanks again for your support again, and enjoy! Were movin on up!
Next floor... Lingerie, sundries and new web server!
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 12-04-2005, 11:48 AM

the only reason I'm posting this is to make sure an email drops in when somebody posts. Saves me the trouble of searching new posts...

oh and nice job avain, vax.....
Old 12-04-2005, 02:18 PM
KeithieW

Excellent sounds Avian and VAX. I really notice the difference.

I agree about the community that is Aural Moon. It's an honour to be a part of it and contribute whenever I can. Keep it going and there will be a lot of happy people around.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:26 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW
Excellent sounds Avian and VAX. I really notice the difference.

I agree about the community that is Aural Moon. It's an honour to be a part of it and contribute whenever I can. Keep it going and there will be a lot of happy people around.
OK, enough of this...

You're getting a stream of bits defined by a standard. The standard hasn't changed nor has the bits as they were recorded when the CDs were ripped. The same bits that were sent to you before are being sent now, so there's no way that there is any noticable sound improvement -- unless you've changed your gear to reproduce those bits.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Patron

Vax, Avian told that there is a feature in SAM that is high quality seting (or something like that).

Could this mean, that, as the music is on 192 kbs on the server, SAM uses better algorythms to grade it down to 128 kbs, as we have now a faster processor?

I agree with KW (maybe we have a psycho thing or so) that it sounds better now.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman
OK, enough of this...

You're getting a stream of bits defined by a standard. The standard hasn't changed nor has the bits as they were recorded when the CDs were ripped. The same bits that were sent to you before are being sent now, so there's no way that there is any noticable sound improvement -- unless you've changed your gear to reproduce those bits.
Don't forget about the amount of encoding and reencoding that goes on in a system like this. The mp3 encoders were set to Medium quality, I believe to save CPU. So now they're at High because of the new server.

The other thing that I think most people are hearing is that there is some compression and other FX that's on the music. It was on there by default. If everyone likes it, I'll keep it.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:22 PM

rick's announcement (just prior to the Yes) was very distorted. overly compressed or some such thing? I've never heard hom talk quite like that...

heh.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger
rick's announcement (just prior to the Yes) was very distorted. overly compressed or some such thing? I've never heard hom talk quite like that...

heh.
I noticed the voices sound even more like hell than usual. My voice system is very mom and pop...but this week's was unusual. I recorded my next week's voices today and they appear fine. Let's see what they do next week,, should be better.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM

cool. thanks rick.

loving the show.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll
I noticed the voices sound even more like hell than usual. My voice system is very mom and pop...but this week's was unusual. I recorded my next week's voices today and they appear fine. Let's see what they do next week,, should be better.
higer quality stream means lower quality encoded files sound worse... Any and everything new should be 192k. My two cents.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:39 AM

Great!
I listen to 56k, and some hundreds of servers after the new one, but I notice no pauses in the stream.
And the sound, well, now itīs playing "The Revealing Science of God". Where in the world I would listen this in a radio?
Thanks for all

Old 12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Owner/Program Director

So here's the official list of donors to the new server:

Atomik Rooster
KeithieW
Rogormortis
Lotus
Sharcnorris
Jamforte
Podakayne
sheridan3957
Nadina
Dinosaur
Mailotron
jtmckin
James Hankin
Unter
MrMagoo
Fremder99
Jeff Vandervoort
Walter Sandza
Laurie Hall
tobygnome
mossy
yorksvc
James Rogers
Michelle Kolota
Stefan Hammele
Yesspaz
Nigel Harris

a great big THANK YOU to all of you.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:42 PM

a big second to that! My contribution will be there after the xmas bonus comes through...thanks to everyone for making it happen so soon!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 PM

mine will come if I get a divorce.

or if I don't.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:38 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
a big second to that! My contribution will be there after the xmas bonus comes through...thanks to everyone for making it happen so soon!
A Christmas bonus? What's that? One of Santa's reindeer leaves an extra little something under the tree for you?

I'm contributing the new web server hardware and bandwidth so I didn't cough up for the new station server hardware.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman
A Christmas bonus? What's that? One of Santa's reindeer leaves an extra little something under the tree for you?

I'm contributing the new web server hardware and bandwidth so I didn't cough up for the new station server hardware.
I'm like one of those pro bono lawyers. I should be making big money but due to lack of want, I don't. So I do the books for a homeless place that can't pay me much but gives a little something because they know they're getting off cheap.

and you're donating time also, vax, the most important component
Old 12-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Owner Emeritus

Quote:
I'm like one of those pro bono lawyers. I should be making big money but due to lack of want, I don't. So I do the books for a homeless place that can't pay me much but gives a little something because they know they're getting off cheap.

and you're donating time also, vax, the most important component
Absolutely - the new web server is the next step over the next few weeks, and VAX is donating quite a bit to get all of that going.

Additional thanks to --umm- JIM! Who contributed quite a bit of moola, and of course, time, to the new server!

Now to start plotting new features!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Progger since 1966

Re: New Audio Server Discussion,To Management...

Jim, This was the finest Entertainment Dollar spent. No where do I find the Music I thought only I liked for 35 years, and These joyous souls who enjoy it as much as I.
Can't wait for the New Home Page Look!!!

Old 12-16-2005, 02:07 PM

Re: New Audio Server Discussion - dynamic compression sucks

Please stop using dynamic compression!!

Thank you very much for the new server and everything else! Aural moon is my strongest source of musical inspiration since 2003.

Since the new server is online I thought something is wrong with my equipment. I hear a lot of noise when the music turns soft and there is a extreme amount of pumping all the time. This is really frustrating when listening with headphones.
The current stream sounds a bit like some of the stupid radio stations here in Berlin. Everyone is adding more and more FX to the audio material to give it punch -- but as a result all stations sound the same and dynamic expression in music is totally lost.

First I thought this is your tribute to the RIAA, because they want you to stream music with less quality!

So please -- never add any FX to the stream! Once mixed in you never can get the FX out of the signal again.
There are a lot of winamp plugins available so that anyone can create his own level of dynamic compression if he wants.

Greatings from Germany
Olaf

Last edited by Olaf : 12-23-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: