Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
cotm - #139 - Be-Bop Deluxe, Wakeman & Urbaniak

Greetings Mooniverse.

Got a fun show for you today, a borderline Prog band (but we all like them), a favorite classic, and some fusion that most likely will be New to You.

I start off with Be-Bop Deluxe. They are a band that didn't quite fit in any one genre sub-group. Certainly it's Rock, but after that.... it can go a couple ways: glam, hard, and even a little pop. You can find some similarities with the group 10cc, so putting them into the Art Rock category seems to fit well.

The album for the show is their 2nd album which was released in 1975. It is called Futurama. I was going to play their 1974 debut, but it was a little too straight up rock, plus pretty much to whole line-up, other than founder Bill Nelson, changed. But this line-up in Futurama stuck together for several years.

Our 2nd album is a great 1974 classic from Yes keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman. This is the year he released his 2nd solo project that certainly was not a lone venture. It includes and orchestra, a chorus, standard band and a narrator. And let's not forget his grand array of keyboards. Rick will take you on a Journey to the Center of the Earth, an interpretation of the Jules Verne novel.

The last artist for this show grew up as a near prodigy level on classical violin, even being offered a scholarship to study in Moscow. The problem, however, came just as he received that offer when he discovered Jazz. So giving up the classical violin, he took up the saxophone and hit the Jazz trail of the early 60's. After a few album releases, Michal Urbaniak rediscovered his violin and began "teaching it" how to play jazz.

We connect with Michal Urbaniak with his 1974 album Fusion. It's pretty fricking brilliant. Complex compositions, great rhythm section and excellent musician ship. I'm hoping you will marvel at it's quality.

That's it for today. Be-Bop Deluxe, Rick Wakeman, and Michal Urbaniak.

See you on the Radio

d

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Re: cotm - #139 - Be-Bop Deluxe, Wakeman & Urbaniak

Great selection !!! i used to listen to BB deluxe and urbaniak in my youth, never been a VTTCOTE :-), merci Dale

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: