Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2017, 12:44 PM

Post Rock

I have been on this big Post Rock binge lately. Listening to Pandora and the Godspeed You! Black Emperor station I set up. Wow, I must say I am a huge fan of this style of music. So many great bands out there making this wonderful music. Does anyone else appreciate Post Rock like I do and what are some of your favorite bands?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Re: Post Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by schupdoggy View Post
Does anyone else appreciate Post Rock like I do and what are some of your favorite bands?
Schup, I do. A large chunk of the AM post rock library was donated by me, but not all (Jim's got a collection too.)

Here's a good list: GYBE!, Mogwai, Maserati, (early) Tarentel, Mono, Tortoise, Don Caballero, Turing Machine, Explosions in the Sky, Do Make Say Think, God Is an Astronaut, The Letter E, Physics, Ilium, Couch, Lermontov, Billy Mahonie, The Roots of Orchis, Lumen, Unwed Sailor, A Minor Forest, The Album Leaf, Adebisi Shank, Battles, Blueneck, Ghost Pony Yakuzai, Collapse Under the Empire, Clouds Echo in Blue, Collections of Colonies of Bees, Daturah, Dreams of My Sky, Fontanelle, From Monument to Masses, Giraffes? Giraffes!, Grails, Hammock, I'm Not a Gun, How Comes the Constellations Shine, Jakob, Long Distance Calling, Leech, The Mercury Program, Milhaven, My Education, Oriin, Pele, Pell Mell, Russian Circles, Silence Kit, Simple Is Good, The Six Parts Seven, Slint, Sleep Dealer, Sleep Makes Waves, This Will Destroy You, Tristeza, Underground Cities, When Lions Meet Bears, Volcano Choir, Across the Waves, Woe.

... And that's just a cursory look through my collection. Some of these are "pure" post rock, some are "math rock," and a few are post rock's version of fusion.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 PM

Not much of a fan based on what I've heard. I do like some of it especially the more atmospheric stuff. Sometimes the repetition and same pattern over and over again with some of it drives me nuts. That said I guess I'll have to dig into it a little bit more but I think it's one of those things where I'll have to tread carefully.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
Schup, I do. A large chunk of the AM post rock library was donated by me, but not all (Jim's got a collection too.)

Here's a good list: GYBE!, Mogwai, Maserati, (early) Tarentel, Mono, Tortoise, Don Caballero, Turing Machine, Explosions in the Sky, Do Make Say Think, God Is an Astronaut, The Letter E, Physics, Ilium, Couch, Lermontov, Billy Mahonie, The Roots of Orchis, Lumen, Unwed Sailor, A Minor Forest, The Album Leaf, Adebisi Shank, Battles, Blueneck, Ghost Pony Yakuzai, Collapse Under the Empire, Clouds Echo in Blue, Collections of Colonies of Bees, Daturah, Dreams of My Sky, Fontanelle, From Monument to Masses, Giraffes? Giraffes!, Grails, Hammock, I'm Not a Gun, How Comes the Constellations Shine, Jakob, Long Distance Calling, Leech, The Mercury Program, Milhaven, My Education, Oriin, Pele, Pell Mell, Russian Circles, Silence Kit, Simple Is Good, The Six Parts Seven, Slint, Sleep Dealer, Sleep Makes Waves, This Will Destroy You, Tristeza, Underground Cities, When Lions Meet Bears, Volcano Choir, Across the Waves, Woe.

... And that's just a cursory look through my collection. Some of these are "pure" post rock, some are "math rock," and a few are post rock's version of fusion.

Yesspaz, I have heard maybe half of those bands but not the rest, thanks for the list, I will investigate them. I especially like Mono, This Will Destroy You, Russian Circles. I am surprised Sigur Ros is not on the list
Old 01-31-2017, 02:50 PM

Wink Re: Post Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike413 View Post
... some of it drives me nuts... .
I don't see them in Yesspazz' list
Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schupdoggy View Post
I am surprised Sigur Ros is not on the list
I don't really think of them as post rock because of the vocals. Most post rock is instrumental, so I forget about them in that discussion.

BTW, Sigur Ros was one of the best live shows I've ever seen.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Owner/Program Director

Isn't a Sight Ros "live" show an oxymoron?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
Isn't a Sight Ros "live" show an oxymoron?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: