Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2001, 12:06 PM

Dropping some names

I may be the only AM listener with an ear on the indie music scene, so I'll drop some names that you should check out. Go to cdnow.com or something and check out sound clips.

Don Caballero - sounds like a jazzier '80s Crimson
American Football - Trust me
Appleseed Cast - uh huh!
Old 07-12-2001, 09:16 AM

No response to the Rare Bird suggestion? I can provide it if need be. How about PFM's World Became the World (song)...it's got that early King Crimson feel.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:34 AM

More suggestions...Tangerine Dream's Force Majeur and Exit (albums), Triumvirat's Illusions on a Double Dimple and Spartacus (also albums), and if you're feeling really ambitious, how about Tull's Passion Play...it may be the most progressive thing that they did...I saw that tour in 73, and I might also suggest cutting out "The Hare That Lost His Testicles"...without the visuals from the concert, it interrupts a good concept.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:43 AM
Owner/Program Director

Big Twin suggestions

Rare Bird? I have to admit I haven't heard of them (and I'm pretty old :-))- if you can point me to some clips, I'll check 'em out. Tull's Passion Play will be added, I just haven't gotten around to that one yet. More Tangerine Dream is likely, but I need to sort through because I don't like their spaciest stuff as much as the rest. PFM is good, I'll probably buy more of their albums one day. Triumvirat - Pompei and Old Loves are already there - I'll add more if I can find it cheap enough.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:29 PM

More Wakeman

You have side 2 of Journey, what happened to side 1?
Old 07-16-2001, 12:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to M_Warin
Lightbulb

I for one would like some more Magma...

Other bands:
Ekseption, Captain Beyond and The League of Gentlemen
Old 07-16-2001, 02:20 PM

Here's in regards to some of the other Genesis Requests:

Live - (Their first live album)

Second's Out - a live double album

Here's some other potentials:

Three Sides Live - This would be great, especially if you have the
5 extra bonus tracks (4 out of 5 appear on Archive 2). I can
provide the other song if needed.

Spot the Pigeon - 2 out of 3 songs appear on Archive 2. Again, I
can provide the other song if requested.

Archive 2 - There's some good stuff on there that should be included (some live songs, "It's Yourself", etc.)
Old 07-17-2001, 09:41 PM
Fossils are Rock!

I was just thinking Eloy might fit in with the group. Wuduyuh think?
Old 07-18-2001, 08:43 AM

Eloy would be good and Hawkwind too!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:09 AM

Lightbulb

Here's a bit of esoterica, but I think it'll fit around here: "Everything Under The Sun" - the three part finale of Extreme's 1992 album, "III Sides to Every Story." (The individual tracks are titled: 1. Rise 'N Shine, 2. Am I Ever Gonna Change, 3. Who Cares)

I've also heard there's a new TransAtlantic studio album slated for sometime this fall for those of you who dig SMPTe...

Old 07-19-2001, 04:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Unhappy New bands on AM

I've noticed that there is little or no Procol Harum on the request list. If you can only add a few tracks, be sure to include "Repent Walpurgis" and "Whiter Shade of Pale" (duh, hehe).

I would also love to hear some Hawkwind on AM, too. Their first 5-7 albums would probably suffice, but my personal fave is "Warriors On The Edge Of Time." Now, if that title ain't prog, I guess I don't know what prog is!

BTW, there is a new Transatlantic album releasing soon, if not already, entitled "Bridge Across Forever." WOOHOO!

Powerslave
Old 07-20-2001, 01:25 PM

Amen on Procol....

I'd like to see Procol's "In Held Twas I" from Shine On Brightly and or "Grand Hotel" from the album of the same name...it's got that "epic" instrumental section in it.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:10 PM

Thumbs up Music Suggestions!

A great addition would be the first three Genesis live albums. "The Knife" off Genesis Live, "The Cinema Show" off Seconds Out, and "Fountains of the Salmacis" off 3 Sides Live are excellent, especially with the added percussion in the last two with Chester Thompson, definatly a different twist on the original tunes.
I think the live version of "Lamb Stew" would also be great, I beleive a good version of that is on the 1976 Burbank boot, it will give AM listeners a good idea of the "Collins" rendition of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".
"Ladytron" from Roxy Music's first album would be nice, and the cover of "Watcher of the Sky's/Firth of Fifth" by Transatlantic would also be great, I beleive that is on the Transatlantic Live in America CD or a boot.
AM is without a doubt one of the best radio stations out there. Keep it up!
Old 08-07-2001, 04:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Grey
Cool Think It'll fit the list...

How about Todd Rundgren's UTOPIA? Surely the first album, and 'RA' would fit....Also, some of the 'TODD' album, and some of 'Initiation '(Born to Synthesize, for instance) would augment the element of suprise, while fitting in to the general tone-color (which, I might add, is pretty colorful around here! Keep it up!).
Thanks for a great site/station!
Old 08-07-2001, 01:50 PM
Owner/Program Director

Talking Utopia

Good timing, tea-man. (Isn't Earl Grey a tea?)

I just bought Utopia (first) and Ra yesterday, and am in the process of ripping them as I type - should see them on the station later this week!
Old 08-13-2001, 10:23 AM

The addition of classical music on AM was very disappointing. Going from Genesis to Beethoven was tough to swallow. I like classical music but I did not expect it on a Progressive "ROCK" Site. I think AM should be up for a name change, you are no longer a Progressive "Rock" Site, but a Progressive Music Site.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:52 AM

Hawkwind

I'd like to second Powerslave's suggestion for adding Hawkwind to the site. Not only the first 5-7 (Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music is almost as good in my mind as Warriors on the Edge of Time ) albums, but at least Chronicles of the Black Sword from thier days of collaborating with Michael Moorcock.

Thanks for reminding me about this group, Powerslave
Old 08-13-2001, 11:13 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
We're a progressive rock site - nothing has changed. Through and through. (a few classical pieces, which make up 0.1% of our playlist, does not change that fact!)

But Jim and I thought that, in the 4500 pieces of progressive rock that we have, a handful of classical music, played once in a blue moon, would be refreshing. Kind of a way to cleanse your palette, and give you a perspective on where progressive rock came from (and where all of your favorite bands steal from!) I think it's a great way to open your minds and get a fresh perspective. Don't expect to hear it very often, but I like a short quick change of pace.

All music is related, and progressive rock has definite, hard ties to classical music, jazz, jazz fusion (which we also play a smattering of), psychedelia (can anyone say Gong?), and classic rock. As we paint the picture that is progressive rock, don't be surprised if the brush strokes go to the edges.

If enough people really hate it, we can always remove it.

Avian

Quote:
Originally posted by DKspring98
The addition of classical music on AM was very disappointing. Going from Genesis to Beethoven was tough to swallow. I like classical music but I did not expect it on a Progressive "ROCK" Site. I think AM should be up for a name change, you are no longer a Progressive "Rock" Site, but a Progressive Music Site.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:53 PM
Owner/Program Director

Plus...

Avian presented our argument for a limited amount of classical music on AM - we talked about it before we went ahead and added it. I have one more point to make - Mozart rocks! Listen to the first movement of the 40th symphony and tell me otherwise. That rocks more than many of the ballad type pieces from Genesis and others, IMO.

Old 08-13-2001, 08:59 PM

Doh! You two cleary tore me up on that response. Good Job! Although, that was not the resonse I was looking for. You were suppose to say " This guy's right, lets loose Bethoven!" Hehehe! j/k! Very Good points though. You are right, some classical music does "rock," and most progressive rock is classically oriented (for example: John McLaughlin loved Stravinsky during the Mahavishnu day's and ELP...there would be no ELP without classical music!). I think it is the absence of rock in classical music that brought me to my previous opinion. I must admit, upon hearing the 9th Symphony I thought the format of my favorite music station had entered a slow death. Thanks for reassuring me that this is not the case!

Thanks for the response!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: