Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2001, 01:01 PM

I'm broke

This has nothing to do with anything, so I started a new thread.

Just recently, a great independent music store in Birmingham, AL (where I live), went out of business. They were doing fine, but after the attack the owner decided to reassess his priorities. He has a wife, two kids, a full time job, and other record stores. He decided something had to go and he decided it should be Magic Platter, Birmingham's number one indie store. They had a lot of stuff - cds and vinyls; new and used. They had Gentle Giant in the rack. Didn't even have to order it. They had tons of indie, hardcore, punk, and emo. It stinks that they had to close, but before they did, they had a massive sale. For two weeks, I spent way too much money, getting cd's for 30% to 50% off. (they only had one vinyl I wanted, but a friend of mine snatched it first - Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2). Here is a list of what I bought, if anyone actually cares:

Prog and Emo

Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2
Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels To Be Something On
Sunny Day Real Estate - The Rising Tide
King's X - Manic Moonlight
King's X - Ear Candy
Soft Machine - Third
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
American Football - One With The Tamborine
American Football - American Football (One With The Wurlizter)
Don Caballero - For Respect
Don Caballero - Singles Breaking Up Vol. 1
King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light
Rush - Power Windows
Rush - Hemispheres
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Mahavishu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Steve Howe - Natural Timbre

Jazz

Wes Montgomery - So Much Guitar
Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of...
Wes Montgomery - The Wes Montgomery Trio
Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar
Wes Montgomery - Tequila
Wes Montgomery - Full House
Wes Montgomery - Movin' Along
Wes Montgomery - (one other that I can't remember the title of)
Charles Mingus - The Jazz Experiments of...
Charles Mingus - Gil Evans vs. Charles Mingus
Charles Mingus - Mingus and Orchestra
Charles Mingus - Pre-Bird
Charles Mingus - A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry
Charles Mingus - Mingus Dynasty
Paul Desmond - Take Ten
The Mandolin Jazz Project - Xenoblast
Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings

Jazz OR Prog (could go either way)

John McLaughlin f/Zakir Hussain, Vikku Vinayakram, Hariprasad Chaurasia - Rember Shakti (this is pretty cool - live improv of two discs - five tracks, including 33+, an 18+, and a 63+ minute pieces. John plays jazz with four or five Asian-Indian musicians.)

Classical

Brahms - Piano Concerto 1
Stravinsky - Symphony of Wind Instruments/ Symphony of Psalms/ Symphony in Three Movements
Philip Glass - Symphony No. 2
J.C. Bach - 3 Cello Concertos
J.S. Bach - Four Extended Symphonic Movements

Basically folks, I'm broke. No more cds for a LONG time, except Magnification, of course.

I can't even afford to go see King's X in Atlanta this Sunday, nor California Guitar Trio in Atlanta the next Friday. Oh well, I've got a lot of new music to assimilate.

Yesspaz out, and poor.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:53 AM

Hungry Days

I'm on my uppers too. So can't help ya.

Just wasted my money on two quite awful excuses for music:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Black Moon
Genesis - Calling All Stations

Horrible!! I'll listen to owt but these two - NEVER again!!!

Anyway. I beg to differ but a person who has Zappa has
richness beyond compare.

I wish you well to escape your problem and obtain those
elusive tickets.

Old 10-12-2001, 08:55 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Ugh - those really are two terrible albums.

But I'm assuming you mean "Black Moon"?

Avian
Old 10-12-2001, 08:59 AM

Yep Avian. I've put it right now.

Thanks

Is it me or was that album part of a Tull soundalike competition?
(I refer to the vocals)

Both are destined for the next Salvation Army collection.

---

Anyone else bought on reputation to find
'' quite awful excuses for music " ??
Old 10-15-2001, 10:07 AM

Calling All Stations

Actually, Calling All Stations is considered to be a rather underrated album. On my first listen, I didn't like it at all. The vocals were just too "grungy" for me. But it took a few listens before I realized that the underlying music was the same Genesis that I liked. Now, if you like the Peter Gabriel era, then most likely you'll hate everything Genesis made after 1983. But if you ignore the vocals, then maybe you'll like the album better. It is a shame that they didn't include the instrumental B-sides as part of the album.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:09 PM

This is perhaps my last posting. I have mailed Avian to delete
my forum registration.
---------------

If you look at the Pendragon thread you will see that was in fact
myself who had the balls to mention that vocals were wrecking all too many prog tracks. I stick by what I said at the time. Instead
the follow on thread turned into the usual and I honestly and truthfully sick of reading it, the great Anderson, Gilmore, Gabriel
praising machine. And yet here you are asking me to dismiss the
vocals. It was me that asked everyone to imagine tracks without vocals.

I could type all night why I no longer wish to be part of this forum.
But and as a keen Floyd fan myself what on earth is the point in
trying to be objective and create some DISCUSSION when you see quite ridiculous posts saying that Gilmore is a best vocalist.
What's worse apparently he is a best guitarist.

Floyd are good, damn good but this guy isn't even a top 20. This is the biased and blinkered attitude that is swamping this forum.
It is the same attitude with Yes/Anderson and Genesis/Gabriel.
Both bands are good and have a quite gigantic and fanatical support but I am sorry, their brilliance totally escapes me. Both bands to me simply start and stop, go loud and then quiet way
too often for me to ever be a fan. I do admire their talents though.

Going back to Calling All Stations. Although not a fan of Genesis, I did buy the cd at a cost of £12.99. Much as the the same with Yes as I bought Magnification at a cost of £13.99. So it isn't as though
I have something against them and in fact I am going to see Yes
next month, I've seen Genesis, I think 4 times.

I like to think that I have a nice collection and I know with absolute catagoric fact that I will listen to almost any prog band of all diiferent styles. I think also that I am blessed with a gift to
be objective and sometimes critical of even my most favourite of artists. Look at my Login Handle for instance. If I were a Yes fan, I would no doubt be boring someone static on how great it is but
then I'd wonder what was the point of those last 2 minutes or so of Dreamtime. Do you see what I'm getting at.

Today I got The Sound Of Bread, an oldie, and Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits, which is new out. Both not prog I know but both are INSTANTLY enjoyable. Every track on both cd's. So NO I'm sorry, I am not going to give it another listen. I found it so awful
to pass comment on the forum.

The music industry is and always has been highly competetive. For a band known for their outstanding quality to warrant multi
plays to me.... well I smell a rat. Something along the lines of they are past their sell by date or utterly rushed dirge to pay off an outstanding tax bill.

The cds is still bound for the next Salvation Army collection. Nearly
£30 between them, I don't want them anywhere near me.

It was nice, for once, to read a post from a clear Genesis fan, that
offered constructive ideas and allowed critisism. I compliment you. If it were more often then I would not be so eager to leave this forum.

--------

Guitarist thread
When Spirit finally get onto AM you will hear a top guitarist. Also you clearly have not heared Sabre Dance by Dave Edmunds. I said on the forum at the time that I did not know a faster piece of guitar work and asked if anyone knew one. There were NO replies.

---------

Over 4000 OTHER tracks on AM. Try LISTENING to them eh?

----------

Avian
Would you please delete my registration details as I asked

Old 10-15-2001, 10:43 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
exPurple

exPurple is now an ex-user as per his request.

?

Avian
Old 10-18-2001, 04:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Question Good riddance...

What the hell was all that about?

exPurple (btw, I never figured out what that handle meant--does this mean I'm a complete idiot, as well?) could type all night about what pisses him off about this forum.

Well I can type for less than 15 minutes and tell you what pisses him off, IMO: no one is LISTENING to him! Oh no, whatever shall we do? exPurple is being ingnored!!! We should all be ashamed of ourselves!

And to add insult to injury, we DON'T AGREE with him either! How could we be so insensitive!? To think that we, the other hundred or so listeners of AM, could actually voice our own opinions (be they similar to others' or totally different) is an affront to the musically tasteful! God forbid!

So what if I like Genesis? I THINK they're great. So what if I like Yes? I THINK they're great, too. I also THINK that ELP, Pink Floyd, and Peter Gabriel are great. And you know what? A lot of people here would agree with me on this. BUT I DON'T CARE!

I also THINK Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden rule the F'N metal globe! I THINK The Church and Echo and the Bunnymen are the greatest neo-psychedelic bands ever! I THINK Dream Theater has absolutely no emotion in their music and their popularity has managed to keep many other great prog metal bands down. I THINK Squeeze is the greatest british pop band from the 80's, but that song "Tempted" blows giant, hairy goat sacs. I THINK Supertramp is also an awesome band. I THINK Ween, Weezer, Static-X, Butthole Surfers, Pixies, Liz Phair, Men At Work, Elvis Costello, INXS, Duran Duran, ABBA, The Police, Steely Dan, and They Might Be Giants have all produced some of the best music ever. I THINK The Doors suck, The Rolling Stones are boring, Eric Clapton is a Grammy-thief, and The Grateful Dead (and Phish and all those GD-clones) are the biggest wastes of space in the history of music. And you know what? A lot of people here would never agree with me on any this for a million years! BUT I DON'T CARE!

These are all just OPINIONS. No fact is inferred in any of these statements. There has never been any research into these statements, nor have there been studies conducted. So why get all high-and-mighty about it? Because in the end, no one will care, and neither will I.

I admit, (and don't look down on anyone who wouldn't admit) I'm pretty musically ignorant. I only listened to ELP, Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd (I don't give a shit if anyone thinks they're prog or not), and Genesis, thinking that was all progressive music had to offer, and it was good. But then I learned about other bands from friends and from internet radio, and it also was good. But there are many out there, and here as well, that have not found out about other bands, and are content to listen to their own fave five, and that's good too. Some of us set out to help them find more music when they want (sometimes even when they don't), and that's even better. But that help is NOT a life-or-death crusade to change the way people feel about what they THINK.

I can count many times when my messages and posts have not been perceived as I intended, or when someone thought this guy was better than that one, or this band kicks that band's collective ass. I didn't agree, BUT I LET IT GO. I didn't treat it like a personal attack, or whine and cry about it, or insult them.

That seems to be what exPurple thinks we have done to him: insulted him. By not listening to every little thing he had to say, by not doing everything he told us to, we have spit in his face. Maybe we did, but we never did it intentionally. Whether or not David Gilmour is a good guitarist/vocalist (I think he's both--Division Bell is in my top 5 favorite Floyd albums) means nothing to me a minute after reading the post that states he is. Because I choose to agree or disagree, or don't say anything about it, I have not insulted anyone by merely stating my opinion. Neither has anyone else. The only insult here is exPurple's insulting of the AM community by posting his disdain for us and our opinons on this forum.

We are all entitled to think what we want to about our music. If this thought makes you want to leave this forum forever, good riddance to you.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:25 PM

Good post Powerslave. I guess Ex Purple's epitaph should read:

"Whether we agreed with him or disagreed with him, we all still wondered just what the heck he was talking about"

Old 10-18-2001, 05:32 PM
Fossils are Rock!

Hear! Hear!
BTW, what in blue blazin' Hades is wrong with the last two minutes of Dreamtime, anyway?
Old 10-19-2001, 07:20 PM

Well put Powerslave, Thank you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: