Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > The Digressive Rock Hour
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM

Let's Rock, Digressively. The DRH Is Back!

Hola! Tag! Hey! Aloha! Spaz here. It's been just over a year since I had to hightail it to the hinterlands of internet radio to do some healing and health restoration to my computer situation. Done!

And we're back. Get ready to rock, digressively.

For the uninitiated, the Digressive Rock Hour (actually two hours - crazy misnomers) is a block of not-prog music, picked primarily by me, your friendly neighborhood Yesspaz, and by you, the Aural Moon listener.

We "digress" from progressive rock to rock in other ways. Heck, we'll branch out from the rock umbrella to other genres. The idea is that we all need an occasional break from listening to one sound over and over, so we share our non-prog listening habits in a show. (Plus it's a form of espionage; I get to build a database of who likes Miley Cyrus, in case I ever need it. )

Expect punk, pop, metal, hard rock, country rock, Southern rock, new wave, funk, soul, rockabilly, surf, electronica, shoegazer, ska, new age, new wave, industrial, classical, modern, post-modern, chant, world, baroque, Dixieland, zydeco, hot jazz, cool jazz, mod jazz, sweet jazz (but no smooth jazz), bop, bebop, hard bop, post bop, jazz fusion, classical fusion, outlaw country (probably not radio country), trip hop, hip hop, folk, folk rock - and that's just off the top of my head.

For those familiar with the DRH, there are some things that are the same, and there have been a few changes.

Let's start with what's the same. First, I still want you to contribute. I lost ALL donated music when my computer when to be with his ancestors, so everyone's fresh. Here's how to donate music. Second, I still play one song per artist per show, with a few exceptions. Third, if it's on AM, it's not going to be in the DRH. Fourth, it's going to be a blast.

Now let's look at what's changed. First, we've bumped it to two hours. Second, I'm doing a playlist instead of one giant file. That'll make it easier on me to produce and will allow for album art and less "What song is this?" questioning. Third, I won't be slavish about doing a show a week. I'll do my best to have one a week, but that just might not happen, and if it doesn't, I'm not going to be obsessive about it. Fourth, the showtime shifted to Tuesday night (8:00 CST) instead of Wednesday, but keeping Monday and Friday the same. Fifth, I'm adding an album feature. Let's talk about that.

Not every show, but frequently, I plan to play an entire album, EP, or a few singles from one artist. Just like regular DRH songs, we'll play everything from classics to obscure albums. It'll just be one album per show, maximum. I'm still toying with how I want to do it, so expect it to be fluid.

I do not plan on taking album donations. If thirty Moonatics sent me five albums each, I'd have a backlog of 150 albums and that's too many to manage and still be fair.

Instead, I plan to run an occasional poll and let you, the Moonatics, vote on the feature album. I'll mix those in with my picks as well. I'm thinking it will be a fun aspect to the show.

In short, The Digressive Rock Hour is back with a kick in the teeth! I want to thank PDJ for keeping his Lazy Ass DRH going for the past year, and for working with me to get this thing rebooted.

See you on the flip side, and don't let the bastards grind you down.

Spaz out.

Last edited by Yesspaz : 12-01-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:10 PM

Re: Let's Rock, Digressively. The DRH Is Back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tfLWVqZ2I8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: