Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Patron

Steven Wilson in NYC

On Saturday, my son came home from college this past weekend for spring break. I noticed that Steven Wilson was playing in New York. Since I was in NY 3 times over the past 2 weeks I felt pretty comfortable navigating the subway. So on a whim, I went out to stubhub and purchased 2 tickets, 5 rows back, dead center.

There was an announcement about 10 minutes before the show that Steven was sick and lost his voice. However, the Israeli singer Ninet Tayeb is touring with the band and picked up some of the vocals and the guitarist, Dave Kilminster, did some. Steven handled a few that weren't taxing on his throat, and they played more instrumentals than usual. The result was one of the best shows that I have ever seen. Ninet was very powerful and emotive on all the songs she sang. The band was tight and was on fire. All in all a very memorable father son bonding evening. I even saw Laudio9 and Karisssss there!

The band even got a great review in Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0160307?page=2
Old 03-08-2016, 02:49 PM

Re: Steven Wilson in NYC

merci , great reviews :-)
Old 03-08-2016, 04:20 PM

nice...he will be here next 18,, almost every year he plays in Santiago,, never saw him and give good reviews about his last work ,,thinking see him.
Last year he was with Guthrie Govan,, interesting ,,I did not know it,,til days after the show.
Good review MM !
Old 03-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Right! Great show, we did see you there Magic Mountain and your son, we were 8 rows back on the right. Everything was just as you described it, it was a great show, really like Ninet's voice and even though I like Guthrie Govan, I like Dave Kilminster better in Steven's band. I thought he did a great job with the vocals also, which I know Guthrie wouldn't have done. Between Him and Ninet, the vocals turned out to be cool. We really lucked out since Steven canceled one of his shows in Chicago, so glad we got to see him in NYC at the Beacon, really cool place too btw. Thanks for the review Magic and good seeing you there!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:22 AM

I was there as well. It was an interesting show. The band was tight and really stepped up. Great crowd which made the evening even better. Hopefully they recorded Ninet singing some of those tunes.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Patron

lucky, lucky you!!! thanks for the review and links...glad to know someone is out there in the crowds representing'

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: