Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2008, 07:40 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Baja Prog (2008)

Discussion thread for this festival.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Owner/Program Director

Baja Prog Day 0

Just a prelude - I arrived in Mexicali this evening, had a chance to chat briefly with Cast keyboardist/festival organizer Alfonso Vidales (very nice guy), and met Bobrelayer59 (or some number) and his son at the pre-party. The guitarist in the traditional band was quite good. Food and beer free. And twice as many bands as NEARFest, for half the cost. Did I mention that I think Bajaprog is the best festival out there?

Mas, mas tarde.....
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 AM

Re: Baja Prog Day 0

Enjoy all the music Jim,This is close for me maybe next year I can join some of the AM gang.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Re: Baja Prog (2008)

Oh man, I'm jealous of you Jim. I went last year with a friend, and we had a blast. We stayed at Hotel Lucerne. The post-fest bash is a great time too!

Pls keep us updated!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to PeterG
Re: Baja Prog Day 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
....And twice as many bands as NEARFest, for half the cost.
For a minute there I thought you said "twice as many blondes..."
Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Hope you packed your sunscreen. Wouldn't want you to short-circa.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM
la familia patron

yeah, what Jim said.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Owner/Program Director

OK, the official Bajaprog review.

Day 1, Wednesday, day time show.
1st band, Platurno, from Chile. Very nice instrumental quartet - guitars/bass/keys/drums. Kind of a Djam Karet sound, with some Frippish guitars in spots. Bobrelayer came up with a more accurate comparison, hopefully one of us will remember. 2nd band was Prisma from Switzerland. Good, tight, a bit heavier than I like - reminded me of Tool, with perhaps a bit more progressive feel. After the HOT afternoon show, the three of us (including Bob's son) went to the ARCTIC ZONE - AKA Jim's hotel room with the AC maxed out. Enjoyed a couple of beers before cabbing to the evening show.

Day 1, Wednesday evening show

Cast started off - I reviewed them last year, and all I'll add is how consistently good they are. I really like their drummer, but the drums were too low in the mix to appreciate. Otherwise, they sounded great. Next up - Alonso Arreola. Led by bass player Alonso; also featuring his brother on drums and two guitars. All instrumental, and Alonso is one of the best bass players I've EVER heard. I'm talking in the Billy Sheehan, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke league. I kid you not. A jaw dropping performance. I spoke with him yesterday and he's promised to send a CD for the Moon. Last up, Riverside. I've seen them before, and they were as remembered. Tight, professional, kind of hard. Somehow, for me, they lack something - stage presence, dynamics, or something. It was enjoyable, but not powerful or emotional...

Stay tuned for day 2 - perhaps the best day of all...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Owner/Program Director

Day 2, Thursday, day time show.

First band, Djamra. A Japanese quintet of bass, drums, guitar, keys and sax. Kind of a RIO/jazz/metal band. VERY interesting, talented, and enjoyable. They had what I am going to call the typical Japanese prog sincerity on stage - they obviously enjoy what they do. The rocking geisha video girl was a nice touch. I'm going to try and add them to the Moon... Next up, 2112 from Argentina. As you might guess from their name, a definite Rush influence. Pretty good too. The drummer wasn't Neil Peart, but then, who is? Nothing I heard was derivative, and the vocals were way different that Geddy's, but something about the arrangements was definitely reminiscent of Rush. My brother arrived in time for them, and afterwards, some wine and Italian food was on the menu.

Day 2, Thursday, evening show.

Omni from Spain was up first - a very nice symphonic band with guitar/keys/winds in addition to bass/drums. Very pretty music, melodic, and nice interest in arrangements. I bought two of their CDs so look for them soon. One of my favorite bands of the festival. Then Rocket Scientists - Erik Norlander is a great keyboardist in the Emerson style, but a gifted enough composer to have his own voice. Mark McCrrite is a solid guitarist, and Don Schiff on bass and stick adds a lot. Erik's wife Lana Lane sang on a few songs, adding a nice counterpoint to Mark's vocals. Good, heavyish organ based prog. Last up was New Trolls, and Italian band from the classic band that has actually been mostly under my radar, and that's a shame as they are GREAT. Typical keyboard based Italian prog, with guitar, and winds. All 6 band members sing (IIRC), so vocal harmonies and arrangements were also complex and nice. THey were a last minute substitution for Banco, who cancelled for health reasons. I was not disappointed (having seen Banco before...)

Last edited by progdirjim : 04-24-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Owner/Program Director

Day 3, Friday, day time show.

Anima Inside - from Ecuador. I really tried to like them, since I wanted to add music from Ecuador to the Moon, but they were heavy and flat to my ears. Had some nice moments, but not enough. Band 2 was Octopus from Chile - an instrumental 2 guitar/bass/drums, that we all agreed were too heavy, and the bass was way way too loud in the mix. We left early...Had a GREAT Mexican meal at "Los Arcos", a seafood place. the bananas flambe may have been the highlight...

Day 3, Friday, evening show.
Quikion + Lithuma Qnombyus - crazy Japanese band. Very enjoyable. Most unique instrumentation. Guitar and bass, sure. Instead of a drummer, a percussionist (and a good one, lots of bongos, congas, etc); an accordionist who also played glockenspiel, and a female lead singer who also played concertina and glockenspiel. Angelic vocals, ethnic music, good playing. Good stuff. Next up, New Trolls again, this time with a small (and local) orchestra - maybe 12 members. Very nice, very well arranged. Less bombastic than ELPs Work's orchestra tour (which as much as I liked that, I'd have to say this was more tastefully done). A great evening show...

Last edited by progdirjim : 04-24-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Owner/Program Director

Last day - Entrance from Chile. Pretty nice guitar/keys/bass/drums with two vocalists. The only "problem" with Bajaprog, is with close to 20 bands, sometimes it's hard to really remember each band. I do know all 4 of us enjoyed them, and it was cool that I ran into Warren Dale (ex-keyboardist from French TV) again, and talked about his new prog projects (which will hopefully be on the Moon soon). Second band, Alex Carpani band, with Tony Spada on guitar - very nice stuff, lots of nice keys, and Tony Spada is a great guitarist with a Steve Morse kind of vibe. Even with good vocals, the music was still the focus as instrumentally they were really good.

Day 4, Saturday, evening.

Le Orme - classic keyboard based italian prog. EXCELLENT! If you don't know them, check them out on the Moon. Very solid stuff. Last up - Circa. Yes-lite. Asia on a good day. I don't know, they were really professional sounding, but I was disappointed. The worst of all the Yes keyboardists, the 2nd best (of 2) Yes drummers, a bass player who seems to bring a pop influence to the band and is no Chris Squire, and no Steve Howe or Jon Anderson. Can you say 90125 and Big Generator? They were also the only band that never hung out in the crowd, and their apparent elitism was a turn off. That and $25 t-shirts, when all other t-shirts were $10 or $15.

All in all, this was the weakest lineup of Bajaprog I've been to, but the company was great and I still have no problem recommending Bajaprog as the best prog festival on the planet...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the recap Jim. I went last year and was looking forward to hearing what I missed this time-around. I hung out with Warren Dale as well last year - same age, same musical tastes, easy-going guy! I was afraid that Circa was going to be as you surmised. Their videos on youtube were uninspiring as well. I'm hoping to get down to BajaProg next year - it is truly a great event for progheads! Glad to hear you had a good time.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to Sintetista Send a message via Yahoo to Sintetista Send a message via Skype™ to Sintetista

Well, thx dirjim for the review. I would have liked to attend, but there´s so much to do here, catering to my kids, vacations and concerts.

So hopefully next year...

Later on....

ps. by the way, seems like the laid back culture did not make itself present. No mention of bands starting late, which is a constant here in Mexico.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM

great reviews Jim Thx. I would have liked to see Omni .New Trolls and Le Orme a band I.ve enjoyed for years. Seemed like definite highlights. As Vax has shared also Baja being a great festival. Your review with dining experiences made me feel part of a great time to be had in more ways then just great music.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Sintetista Send a message via Yahoo to Sintetista Send a message via Skype™ to Sintetista

[quote=museman;Your review with dining experiences made me feel part of a great time to be had in more ways then just great music.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the Food bit too..
Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
la familia patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintetista View Post
Well, thx dirjim for the review. I would have liked to attend, but there´s so much to do here, catering to my kids, vacations and concerts.

So hopefully next year...

Later on....

ps. by the way, seems like the laid back culture did not make itself present. No mention of bands starting late, which is a constant here in Mexico.
Sintetista, if it will make you feel better. Not one show started on time. Jim just did not mention it. Yes the food was great and the cab rides entertaining. Oh yes the Cucapa Obscura flowed like water and tasted oh so good in the hot sun.

Last edited by NorCalKurt : 04-02-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: