Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2003, 09:29 AM

Up The Irons!

I'll be seeing Maiden tonight (w/Dio & Motorhead). Looking forward to the triple-guitar attack, now that everyone is together. And of course one of my favorite musicians, Steve Harris.

The Church, good one!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:38 AM
KeithieW

Re: Up The Irons!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
I'll be seeing Maiden tonight (w/Dio & Motorhead). Looking forward to the triple-guitar attack, now that everyone is together. And of course one of my favorite musicians, Steve Harris.

The Church, good one!
If you get a chance to speak with Lemmy say Hi from me. I met him at a bar in Kensington, London where I used to work and he was charming. drank a few JDs and smoked a couple of packs of Marlborough (I think) while he was doing an interview for a magazine.

Enjoy the gig Rick..........let me know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:07 PM

Lemmy

I heard a story a few years back where Emma Freud (Ziggy's granddaughter) had a short-lived TV show where she interviewed people in bed (fully clothed). Lemmy tried some moves on her, and was highly unsuccesful. Did you hear that one?

I'm interested to see if Lemmy still has the microphone way too high over his head.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:10 PM
KeithieW

Re: Lemmy

Quote:

I'm interested to see if Lemmy still has the microphone way too high over his head.
I think it's the only way he can get that voice working.

Straining the vocal chords and screwing them up with the Marlboro and JD makes for a great Metal Vocal.

Overkill!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the Mosh man!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Angry I'm so pissed...

that Maiden and the rest of the metal boys aren't coming anywhere near the Twin Cities! Neither is the Dream Theater/Fates Warning/Queensryche tour.

Minneapolis = The Town that Metal Forgot
Old 07-30-2003, 09:50 PM

At least you have the mall

Sorry, man, that was low. Last night was great, except for the $11 beer! You are kidding! Motorhead was loud, professional, and just jammed for 45 minutes without a discernable break. Dio was his usual excellent self (I've seen him about 6 or 7 times). He did "Stargazer" - a surprise!

I passed on the Dream Theater show. I'm burnt out on those guys. I saw QR about two years ago again, so I'm OK there. My 15-year old went (he also along with me last night).

Maiden was too good. I can't believe that they still have all of that energy! They ripped through Number of the Beast, Trooper, Revelations, Die With Your Boots On, and Hallowed Be Thy Name before anyone caught their breath. So good to hear a heavy dose of Piece of Mind - not only my favorite Maiden record, but an all-time favorite. Another great inclusion was Fear of the Dark - a very underrated album, too - one of my favorites, along with Seventh Son. There was an exciting version of The Clansman - Dickinson was great on that tune (not even his!) Other tunes were Tailgunner, Iron Maiden, Wicker Man, 2 Minutes To Midnight (encore 1), Run To The Hills (encore 2), The Clairvoyant (my least favorite off of Seventh Son). No Killers, Somewhere In Time, or X Factor. Dickinson went on a lengthy yet interesting tirade about how file-sharing actually helps out bands and how everyone should quit crying. Then they did a new tune (pirated by some on the net) called Wildest Dreams. Good to see Adrian Smith back, so he can complement Dave Murray while Janick Gers jumps around. 25 freakin' years of these guys! Very funny at the end, when everyone chanted Eddie! Eddie! - very topical since Eddie Murray just went into the baseball Hall of Fame as a Oriole over the weekend. BTW, they had all of the Eddies pictured, and a 15-foot walking Eddie!

I shall end this by a special mention of Steve Harris - probably my favorite musician, next to Ian Anderson and Neil Peart. Just a super musician, a class act, and the glue that holds that band together. And he still mouths all of the words.

Up the irons!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:38 AM
KeithieW

How are the ears Rick?????

Sounds like an excellent gig!!!!

I haven't seen Maiden for a few years.....Powerslave I think, so to hear that they're still good is excellent.

BTW: We call them Maiden over here because Iron is a Cockney rhyming slang term for GAY. Iron Hoof = Poof. Don't ask me where that one comes from.....I haven't a clue.

Motorhead playing for 45 minutes, eh? That's about long enough for most people. Does Lemmy still strain the vocal chords with his mike too high.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:31 AM

Ears are fine -

Not sure about the rest of me. Motorhead was exactly the same as when I saw them 20 years ago. I saw them as an opener for Ozzy on the "Diary" tour about 6 months before Randy Rhoads died. I still remember the staff coming around with buckets of sand so that the cigs could be extinguished. Also, Ozzy's keyboardist almost in the parking lot (not quite as bad as the Who having theirs under the stage).
Old 08-03-2003, 01:34 PM
KeithieW

Re: Ears are fine -

Quote:
Not sure about the rest of me. Motorhead was exactly the same as when I saw them 20 years ago. I saw them as an opener for Ozzy on the "Diary" tour about 6 months before Randy Rhoads died. I still remember the staff coming around with buckets of sand so that the cigs could be extinguished. Also, Ozzy's keyboardist almost in the parking lot (not quite as bad as the Who having theirs under the stage).
Recovered???????? Sounds like a GREAT night.

I just got back from a wedding. The singer didn't turn up so they asked if I'd do a turn. The band were OK and had a pretty good repetoire so I thought why not!!!!

Looking at the average age of the party I thought it better to start off with some........you guessed it Barry Manilow tunes. They went down OK as did the Sinatra, but when we kicked in with "Light my Fire" the place went nuts!! I've never seen so many grooving grannies........excellent!!!! The band could manage Fleetwood Mac's Green Manaleshi and we ended up with Arnold Layne and See Emily Play. My friends daughter (who's wedding it was) started off REAL embarrased but ended up grooving with the rest of them.

I loved it. No more offers of gigs but a good time anyway.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:51 PM

Whoa!

Is that the short version or the long version of Light My Fire? And not the Judas Priest version of the Green Manaleshi?

you are THE MAN. see Emily Play??? Cool.

Next stop - Jethro Tull on Thursday. Hope they mix it up a little - the last several years have been kind of stale.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:45 PM
KeithieW

Re: Whoa!

Quote:
[b]Is that the short version or the long version of Light My Fire?
Pretty good keys player and a REALLY good guitarist. It was great hearing the band jam on that instramental section. I could do my Morrison impression and hold onto the mike stand and writhe about on the floor. My YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! was outstanding.....LOL!

Quote:
Next stop - Jethro Tull on Thursday. Hope they mix it up a little - the last several years have been kind of stale.

What size venue????? I saw them in a 500 -1000 seater a year or so back and it was definitely better than the Hammersmith show last time. The also played most of "Stand up" which was cool. Enjoy the gig and report back, eh?

This is the end.......my only friend, the End

Last edited by KeithieW : 08-03-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:21 PM

Tull

Wil be seeing them in an ampitheatre (a few thousand, I think) in Northern VA, that usually hosts folky-type rock. I did see Yes about three years ago there and they did Ritual and Gates - outstanding!

They have really been hitting Stand Up a lot the last several years - no problem there. It's just they used to throw in a forgotten gem each time, and I wish they would just trash Budapest. Like the Camera Eye by Rush, good for a few tours but just too in concert.

Mother - yes son - I want to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 08-03-2003, 05:29 PM
KeithieW

Re: Tull

Quote:
They have really been hitting Stand Up a lot the last several years - no problem there. It's just they used to throw in a forgotten gem each time, and I wish they would just trash Budapest. Like the Camera Eye by Rush, good for a few tours but just too in concert.
Totally agree about Budapest. They could drop that for a decade or so and do Wind up instead.

Quote:
Mother - yes son - I want to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
You're sick, man!!!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 09:20 PM

Wind-Up

I saw them do that twice, once on Veterans Day 1987 during a 8-inch snowfall, and once a few years ago. The 1987 night they also played Dun Ringill, which is a good example of the unexpected tune they roll out every once in a while.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:21 PM

some of these I won't count as guilty pleasures because they are great artists, just not prog.

Neil Young
Tom Petty
Journey
The Beatles
Simon & Garfunkel

Guilty Pleasures

the Guess Who/BTO
Mary-Chapin Carpenter
Parliament
Pearl Jam
-some 60s oldie rock
Old 08-08-2003, 10:47 AM

hell . . .

My whole music collection is one big guilty pleasure.

This weekend I'm of to Lollapalooza in San Antonio. The weekend after that, it's Motorhead, Dio, and Iron Maiden (kickass!). I'm definitely not all prog.

Of course, if your talking about albums:

Madonna - Ray Of Light (maybe it's just orbit's influence but this album is great)
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits 1 & 2
Anything by Weird Al (the last one even had a Zappa style-parody)

Those are just a few examples . . .
Old 08-08-2003, 12:45 PM

Maiden

Hey EP, if you want a preview of the show, read my post of last week.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:50 PM

Re: Maiden

Quote:
Hey EP, if you want a preview of the show, read my post of last week.
Yeah, I saw your post. Man, I cannot wait for that show. Of course, I can't wait to Queens Of the Stone Age tomorrow.

Tommy
Old 08-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Fossils are Rock!

guilty...

Has this ever happened to you?
You're groovin to some cool jazz on the radio, thinking "Wow this is pretty cool", and the DJ comes on and says "That was Kenny G..."
Man, I hate when that happens.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:44 PM

Night Flight

An old show on network TV, late Friday night, 1980something - Jamming out to a band trading leads, just gettin'it - after 10 minutes, the singer goes "I want you to want me"

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to throw myself in the wash!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: