Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM

Introducing a friend to prog,

So I've got this friend Lori that I've introduced to prog, and she loves it. I let her borrow a bunch of music, and she wrote me a message on Facebook and I thought I'd share a bit of it. My copy of Amarok, by the way, I edited into sections for easier searching. In fact, it's the identical editing I did for Amarok for the AM library. Here's what she said:

"Anyway, I kept it running at work this afternoon, so today, I've gone through Asia, Leftoverture, Point of Know Return, In the Court of the Crimson King, Amarok, and through The Doge's Palace on The Millennium Bell. I like "The Doge's Palace." I really like the Amarok album; this is great for listening at work. I think I heard something like a frog croaking "Happy" at random. I liked the random speech like "Do you know, I think I cold dance" and the random Irish music.

Amarok II was particularly interesting. About 3 minutes into Amarok II it goes into something like a rock cross between bluegrass and Renfaire music, and that bullfrog croaky sound that sounded like it was saying "quantum physics," and in the last 4 minutes there's that Spanish guitar bit. Then III has this sort of spacy carnival polka at 6:03 that turns into an African-safari space rock or something.

Does this mean I'm an Oldfield fan now?"

I told her yes.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: Introducing a friend to prog,

Quick - a steady diet of Porcupine Tree and Marillion should save her from becoming an Oldfieldian.

Welcome to the Prog Bus.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:12 AM

avoid post rock in order to keep her as a good freind :-)
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM

Yesspaz,

Don't forget ELP, YES, - especially some Rick Wakeman solo albums (6 wives, Journey, etc), Neal Morse is good to get some concept album intros.

Sounds like your friend Lori is jammin' on the Prog!!

Way to share your love!!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Prog needs women! Welcome Lori!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM
KeithieW

Tangerine Dream and GY!BE should sort her out good and proper.

Not forgetting a dose of Steve Howe's solo acoustic playing.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Tangerine Dream and GY!BE should sort her out good and proper.

Best idea yet - get her on Aural Moon!!! She can expand her musical tastes even farther....

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Patron

well done spaz....convert them one at a time and soon the world will be ours!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Yesspaz,

Don't forget ELP, YES, - especially some Rick Wakeman solo albums (6 wives, Journey, etc)
I will not subject her to ELP, nor Wakeman's bombastic solo albums! I have given her gobs of Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailo
avoid post rock in order to keep her as a good freind :-)
I've given her some post rock and she likes it. So there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHD
Quick - a steady diet of Porcupine Tree and Marillion should save her from becoming an Oldfieldian.
No, she needs to become an Oldfieldian, as should everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW
She'll get GYBE all in good time. I want her ensconced in Rush, Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, and Oldfield before I get her into anything like GYBE.
I'll get her to AM eventually. She's a true prog newbie, but she hates the radio. She just doesn't know what's out there. For a newbie, something like AM with thousands of artists would be overwhelming. You've got to get the cornerstones down first.

But just to give you an idea, she's been into random bits of classical and jazz for years, and has "Tea for the Tillerman" by Cat Stevens, etc., but has no Beatles. I mean for crying out loud, NO BEATLES!

So, I'm not just educating her on prog, but she's learning the Beatles, Springsteen, Petty, Beach Boys, Radiohead, King's X, Cream, Clapton, Neil Young - in short, I'm bracing up her knowledge and appreciation of the core artists of rock (not that King's X is a core artist) before I try to introduce her to the fringe like Anekdoten or Magma or GYBE.

But she's coming along!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 PM

Oh, and she said this earlier in the day before that quote from above.

"I've been listening to prog all morning at work. I got through Asia and Kansas and was in the middle of King Crimson's "Moonchild" I think, when I left for lunch. Asia and Kansas sound the most familiar to me, at least in general if not specifically the song (Heat of the Moment, Carry on Wayward Son, Dust in the Wind, for example).

Especially with things like "The Spider/Portrait" so far, I'm beginning to realize how much crap is out there on mainstream pop radio, which (sadly enough) is one of the few stations available with our crummy reception at the office. I mean, who uses this amount of effort in modern rock music, as far as the currently played contemporary stuff is concerned?"
I emphasized that last paragraph because it's epically awesome.

Lori plays flute and piano, so I'm going to introduce her to Jethro Tull via Thick as a Brick and not tell her about the flute, and just see what she says.

Come to think of it, I think a mixed cd of great flute stuff is in order. I'm feeling some Marshall Tucker Band and some Canned Heat.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Talking Re: Introducing a friend to prog,

Well this is kind of like Selling Amway, But much better. Since you don't have to buy the salesman kit or get stuck with crappy product. If you get her to turn on a freind(preferably another female) and then get her to, and so on. Before you know it, you'll be a jr. associate or regional mgr. or better yet, Some kinda Prog rock stud. Nice work. Has Lori joined the moon yet?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:31 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
ROFL......Pam just pointed out to me that this could be read as "A Dose of The Clap". I promise you that was never my intention.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Nice...and if it is more nicer for this conversation, I just one time in my life it happened something opposite that you re doing Yess.,,a girl showed me some of their fav music those days,,mid 80s,,and surprise : classic stuff and a tune she enjoyed a lot, unknown to me, Rundgren s a treatise on cosmic fire.....what a great surprise ! and then chemestry....I found her more beautiful than all the women in the world......I m not so sure nowdays but even if ugly betty listen good music especially what we hear...that s the girl....It s not often..at least in these lands, regards Chess..paz
Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

through in a lil Jade Warrior,bet she would like that

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: