Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2004, 12:53 PM

One Song, Many Tracks

One thing I'd like to see is for songs that are split across many tracks to get merged into a single track on the playlist. This is something I do in my own music library (thank you, iTunes), and it's nice to not have a song suddenly cut out because it's broken across many tracks.

For me, the canonical examples of this are Marillion's "Pseudo Silk Kimono/Kayleigh/Lavender" and "Hotel Hobbies/Warm Wet Circles/That Time of the Night", each of which span three tracks but are really one song. Magenta's album Revolutions is very much in this vein, as of course are many other prog albums.

There are exceptions, of course; I break Ayreon's Universal Migrator up into individual tracks, even though they flow into one another, because I don't want two 60-minute tracks, and because they're really separate songs.

But in some cases it's definitely jarring to have a song cut out seemingly in the middle because it spans track boundaries.

I realize this would be more work for the AM guys to do, but I figured I'd raise the issue. (My apologies if it's been discussed before.)
Old 11-04-2004, 02:36 PM

This is somewhere else as a thread...I think it's called "Splitting of Songs". Your example Michael, is not quite what the original thread was, but nonetheless very interesting.

Personally, I agree with you on the Clutching At Straws example but do not agree on the Misplaced Childhood one. The first group is one theme, the second group merely runs together.

I liken "Kimono/Kayleigh/Lavender" to "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" or "Heartbreaker/Livin Lovin' Maid), which are played together on the radio. They're really three songs each. If you want to get technical, Misplaced Childhood is really two parts, side 1 and 2. I've seen Iluvatar do side 1, and it fits well.

Another one could be the Snow Goose songs by Camel. I'm not sure where we stand on that, but it's been discussed.

On a related note, there are three songs on "Nude" that I will play this week on my show that run together as a theme also. But they are more separate than the Snow Goose ones.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
If you want to get technical, Misplaced Childhood is really two parts, side 1 and 2. I've seen Iluvatar do side 1, and it fits well.
Hah! I've seen Marillion do the whole album continuous, and THAT worked...one of the better concerts I've ever seen.

Quote:

Another one could be the Snow Goose songs by Camel. I'm not sure where we stand on that, but it's been discussed.
I'm pretty sure I split Snow Goose into somewhat logical breaks.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:27 PM

You know, a while back I janked "Steve Cochrane - Songs for Spring Suite" from the station. It's in several parts, but using AcidPro, I combined them into one seemless mp3 to use on an epic show. I could upload it and then R.L could replace it. I could do that with other ones two, but it'd be some time before I could.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:25 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
You know, a while back I janked "Steve Cochrane - Songs for Spring Suite" from the station. It's in several parts, but using AcidPro, I combined them into one seemless mp3 to use on an epic show. I could upload it and then R.L could replace it. I could do that with other ones two, but it'd be some time before I could.
That's Jim's call, not mine. I just do the technical foo. I don't make programming calls.

(although I do have input and will use it with the appropriate ... ahem ... motivation. )

Roger -Dot- Lee, only joking!
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 11-05-2004, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I was just saying that I have the capability to do it, and that you also have the capabitlity to add it. I meant to imply that if Jim said, "yeah let's combine all those split tracks" that I could physically do it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: