Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #218 - Elephant9 and Magic Pie

Hi folks.

Once again we are continuing our journey through the progressive rock of Norway. This weeks show can be subtitled '...and now for something completely different.'

The previous groups, Wobbler, White Willow and Kerrs Pink, were all pretty mellow with a strong foot in the folk side of the Norwegian culture. The first group for this show is title Elephant9. They were formed in 2006 or 2007. They were a spin-off from other Norwegian groups Shinning and Supersilent.

The drummer (Thorsten Lofthuis) was from Shinning and keyboardist (Stale Storlokken) was from Supersilent. They added bassist Nicolas Haengsle to round out this power trio. There is a definite leaning to the 70's Jazz Rock/Fusion (mostly in a Mahavishnu fashion). Their 1st album was Dodovoodoo, released in 2007. Then they released Walk The Nile in 2010 and Elephant9 with Reine Fiske: Atlantis in 2012. I will be playing their sophomore album Walk The Nile.

The 2nd group for the show is perhaps the favorite Norwegian band of most prog fans, Magic Pie. They originated right around 2002. They came from the towns of Moss and Fredrikstad in the southeastern part of Norway. I would think most listeners are aware of this group. The group is made up of Kim Stenberg (Guitars), Eirick Hanssen (Lead Vocals), Gilbert Marshal (keyboardist, lead vocals), Lars Peter Holstad (Bass), Jan T. Johannessen (drums) and a third lead vocalist Allan Olsen.

They now have 4 albums to their catalog: Motions of Desire (2005 debut), Circus Of Live (2007), The Suffering Joy (2011) and the very recent King For A Day (2015). I will play their debut album Motions of Desire for this show.

I do hope you'll get to listen in this week. It should rock the house, especially if you turn it up to 11 where it deserves to be. Enjoy

d

Happiness is a worn pun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: