Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM

Greetings...and "Cloudbusting" comment

First of all, hello from a new listener. If I'd known about Aural Moon sooner I'd have been here long ago.
The other day, during a lovely set of music by the even lovelier Kate Bush the on-air commentator referred to the video for her song "Cloudbusting". This is the one that featured Kate as a young boy and Donald Sutherland as her father, a scientist who had built a device to manipulate weather. The commentator described the scientist character being arrested and taken away by "eastern European" or "behind the Iron Curtain" type blackcoated agents. (Sorry...I don't remember the comment verbatim). I felt compelled to leave a comment about that...

The song was inspired by Kate's reading "A Book of Dreams" by Peter Reich, the son of psychiatrist/scientist Wilhelm Reich. Reich had some very radical ideas that led to his breaking away from Freud and leaving Germany just before the Nazis came to power. He went to Norway first, then came to America. At the time in his life when he was building the "cloudbusting" guns he was living in Maine at an estate he called "Orgonon". Thus, the first line of the song:

"I still dream of Orgonon - I wake up crying".

The U.S. Government accused Reich of fraud for selling what he called "Orgon accumulators" and arrested him in 1956. The black coated thugs depicted in the video are American agents. I've always considered the story in the "Cloudbusting" video to be a particularly American nightmare.
(The FDA never proved their claims against Reich. Whatever one might think of Reich and his theories, I do recommend reading the book "Wilhelm Reich vs. The USA" by Jerome Greenfield).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: