Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Owner/Program Director

Underrated albums/pleasant surprises

So, what album or albums have been pleasant surprises or underrated in your opinion, and why?

An example of each:
Pleasant surprise:
Rush's latest, Vapor Trails. This is my favorite album from them in 16 years. I haven't cared much for the last several albums - they have been OK, but I expect a lot more than OK from Rush. Then I heard about the album before I heard it - "stripped down - only bass, drums, guitars" - well I like the synths and exotic percussion aspect of Rush. "heaviest Rush album in a long time" - well I like the melodic aspect of Rush more than the heaviness. So I was expecting to really dislike this album and SURPRISE! - I loved it! To me, it represents their strongest songwriting in a very long time.
Underrated:
Genesis - And Then There Were Three. Listened to this the other day, all the way through for the first time in awhile, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Strong songs, a lot of variety, and while very different from Gabriel and Hackett era Genesis, still quite prog. Phil's drumming is some of his best, and he's really found his own vocal style rather than imitating Pete. Mike Rutherford gets a chance to stretch out on the guitar and does a fairly good job. Tony's keyboards are in some ways more restrained than say "The Lamb", but without Steve's melodic guitar lines, he gets a chance to add some new stylings to his keys. All in all, a very enjoyable effort.

Thoughts? Other nominations?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: