Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Owner/Program Director

Aural Moon Shows

Hello Everyone,

I've been thinking a lot about the current show schedule on Aural Moon, and was thinking that possibly a change or two is in order. No decisions made yet.

I am going to have several polls, one for each show, where you can chime in with feedback as to whether the show is indispensable, OK, or a nuisance. Replies will be anonymous so you can be comfortable giving a thumbs down to a show that most seem to like.

I'm thinking there's an opportunity for two new/replacement shows - one, focused on new additions to the Moon. At the rate I've been adding CDs, with the help of the "intervention" group, that should be programmed for a few years.

The other show I'm thinking about is the "Digressive Rock Hour", digressive meaning songs that just missed making it to the Moon, but are still quality. It'd play electronica, pop/prog, etc that isn't progressive enough to just sit on the playlist, but has that sense of adventurism.

Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 AM
KeithieW

Re: Aural Moon Shows

Fantastic idea Jim.

I especially like the idea of the DRH. As you know I have a lot of stuff that falls into that category. I'd love to help out with it if you want. No problem if that falls outside the remit....I'll just carry on enjoying the show.

Change from time to time is good.

Let me know if I can help out.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
The other show I'm thinking about is the "Digressive Rock Hour", digressive meaning songs that just missed making it to the Moon, but are still quality. It'd play electronica, pop/prog, etc that isn't progressive enough to just sit on the playlist, but has that sense of adventurism.
Sounds nice. On the other hand, hasn't this been done already, sort of? The Gnosis shows in the past, and some of the shows by Rick...

As for replacing shows: How about just (re-)scheduling a couple of shows so that they only get aired once a month or every second week instead of weekly? That way you could have "more" shows in the programming. Plus you would have much more people available for DJ'ing: Life, these days at least, is too hectic for many to be able to run a radio show every week.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:12 AM

I love all the current shows and schedules. They make Aural Moon a station to listen too. You can learn so much from the shows. I too like the sound of the DRH. The only trouble with once a fortnight or month is that I may miss the show. I wish there was a way to have specific shows podcast or be able to be stored for listen agin option. One thought which could be fun would be for listeners to compile a short show (30-60 minutes) with a theme which could be hosted by an expert like Rick! That way the listeners could get more involved in the shows other than the shoutbox. Only a thought!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 AM

Jim,

Interesting ideas...

Instead of loosing the shows though, what about "reigning" them in a bit - instead of 3 hours for Interzone and Rickter Scale - what about 2 hours for each show? Then you'd have 2 hours free for another show.

Just an idea... I am not sure Rick or Cozy would like that - but then all the shows - except for Gags - would be 2 hours in length.

Thanks for keeping up the great work and the new ideas... I know I am not alone in appreciating all you guys are doing to make the station GREAT!

From Texas,
Ted
Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 AM

Hi, I'll just chime in so I can a) receive the emails as the posts accrue, and b) throw some ideas down because I have some personal crap to attend to this weekend.

I've no idea of where this will go, but I'm good with whatever happens. The only consideration of whether you want three hours or two for my show is if it's not too much of an intrusion. It takes me about the same amount of time to construct a show of varying lengths.

Most other stations of this type are heavy on the shows, and the themes. My original basis of the show (laid down in my first RS post) guaranteed different themes and genres, and that will not change. I find locking into one genre limiting.

Other shows that have specific themes are always welcome. there was a space music hour that was good but got shelved due to time.

The DRH is an interesting idea. Methem - I actually like most of the same prog rock as most others. It's just that I'd rather play something new or something different.

Is Interzone and Prog Shores a current entity? I never see them around on a regular basis.

The new show idea is a MUST.

In summary, for my show, whatever opinions are always welcome, and I'm sure Jim will contact me with any decisions that result. I enjoy the time slot, the length, etc but am always amenable to new ideas. I really do want to take more time off but there's always so much to play!

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 02-01-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
I've no idea of where this will go, but I'm good with whatever happens. The only consideration of whether you want three hours or two for my show is if it's not too much of an intrusion. It takes me about the same amount of time to construct a show of varying lengths.

Is Interzone and Prog Shores a current entity? I never see them around on a regular basis.

In summary, for my show, whatever opinions are always welcome, and I'm sure Jim will contact me with any decisions that result. I enjoy the time slot, the length, etc but am always amenable to new ideas. I really do want to take more time off but there's always so much to play!
Rick,

Thanks for commenting. I wasn't aware about Interzone and Prog Shores... if they are not around then - I withdraw my comments.

I do like your show... and - more importantly - I agree with you about different music... exposure to other artists, genres, etc have be really good for me as well. I am a die hard ELP fan, who was recently introduced to YES and Rick Wakeman because of Aural Moon... I had never heard of Spock's Bear and Neal Morse, until I started listening to this station... I love Neal Morse's stuff... again, because of Aural Moon.

I was reacting to Jim's comment about having to get rid of shows - to make room.

Keep exposing us to new stuff and working on the themes!

As I mentioned... I do appreciate what you are doing - the knowledge you share with us and effort you are putting into the show. THANK YOU!!!!

You ROCK!

Back to your regularly scheduled...

From Texas,
Ted
Old 02-01-2008, 08:57 AM

I haven't heard a show by Cozy or Sean for a while unfortunately so I would imagine that programming space is available where their shows used to air. I especially like the idea of a new additions show and it sounds like a digressive show could be fun too.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Patron

Change is good, Jim, and the new show ideas sound timely and interesting. Thanks for putting this to a poll.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Patron

Well I have thought about a show which I envisaged as "Not on the Moon". Basically being prog music or near enough that I knew about but was not on the moon. So Jim's Digressive is on the same wavelength so it's of course a good idea.
And true enough with the amount of rq's now being pushed through it's hard enough to hear anything of the new additions, especially those one doesn't have or indeed had no intention of obtaining. So a New Additions slot would essentially be welcomed, although if 85 CD's is slammed on in one go it would be a hell of a very long show.....
Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Fantastic idea Jim.

I especially like the idea of the DRH. As you know I have a lot of stuff that falls into that category. I'd love to help out with it if you want. No problem if that falls outside the remit....I'll just carry on enjoying the show.

Change from time to time is good.

Let me know if I can help out.
Keep your Barry Manilow and Doris Day recording to yourself!
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogorMortis View Post
Well I have thought about a show which I envisaged as "Not on the Moon".
First of this year i did a show "Not On The Moon But Still Pretty Damn Good".

I think DMH is not as unwieldy as NOTMBSPDG
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

I think that shows should be time limited. We have no control over Tom's show but I don't believe these need to be more than an hour or two. They get tedious after awhile. Even Tom's show gets tedious at times but, despite that, I get some information and some great interviews juxtaposed in the mix of the generally loathed public service commercials that WBZC is required to play. I had to play them too when I did college radio. I hated them, but we had to log them and submit logs to the FCC to maintain free license.

I'm also sickened with the theme shows. Theming Thursday was intended to be a fun way to get people to exercise their "creativity" and get requests mixed up beyond the usual Supper's Ready, Close to the Edge, and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. (All tracks I love, BTW.) Yet, I still hear the "I don't understand the theme". I wasn't going to say, "Go request all songs with XYZZY in the title." Hell, I could probably program SAM to do that if that's what Theming Thursday was supposed to be. I've tried to post vague themes in the hopes that they would spurn the obvious and spawn creativity.

I like progressive music; not regressive music. I've heard many complaints -- and I've made some myself too -- when things are played that just are not appropriate for a station that has been marketed as a prog rock station. The "country rock/death metal" show some time back was just way out of bounds.

FWIW, one of the positive things I hear is that AM has its request driven format. It allows those who listen -- our moonies -- to be part of the product and not just a consumer thereof. Everyone, in a little way, gets to have a show however brief it may be.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Last edited by VAXman : 02-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to lamour

I don't have time to really answer this carefully right now, but I'll just throw out some quick thoughts. I hope nobody takes any offense from anything I've worded poorly below.

I like the idea of both of the new shows. Could be very interesting.

I am one of those people who find myself wishing shows would be over sooner most of the time. Gags is the worst for two reasons. No song info and time. I listen to the Moon to hear new music (new to me). If I don't know what it is, it doesn't really matter all that much if I like it, since I can never listen to it again. Four hours is a LONG time. it's half of my work day. more importantly, it's the 2nd half of my workday. a lot of my morning requests get lost under the blanket of afternoon (for me) radio shows, because I leave work shortly after Gags is over.

I have the least issues with Moses' show for a lot of reasons. It plays in the morning (for me), so I don't miss my requests because of it. It's short. It has song info. I tend to like most of what Moses plays, so that helps too. ;-)

I like a lot of what Rick plays, but he tends to put on 3 hours of one band or of just a couple bands, so if I don't like the band, that's a LONG time before I get to hear something I do like. He plays a wide variety of stuff, so not everyone is going to like all of it. and 3 hours of one band CAN seem like a long time even if you like the band. at least most of what he plays tends to be new or obscure stuff, so that's a big plus.

I like hearing people's requests. Wednesday is a good idea, but I wish it were more scattered across the week instead of one ENTIRE day with no requests. If SAM could be rigged to toss her own songs in every so often on normal days, then you might get a wider audience for that music too. I'm not sure if people tune out on wednesday, but it's sure a lot quieter in the shoutbox on wednesday. it also gets pretty quiet during most of the shows. I think, anyway.

IMHO,
lamour
Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to lamour

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Theming Thursday was intended to be a fun way to get people to exercise their "creativity" and get requests mixed up beyond the usual Supper's Ready, Close to the Edge, and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. (All tracks I love, BTW.) Yet, I still hear the "I don't understand the theme". I wasn't going to say, "Go request all songs with XYZZY in the title." Hell, I could probably program SAM to do that if that's what Theming Thursday was supposed to be. I've tried to post vague themes in the hopes that they would spurn the obvious and spawn creativity.
Well, this is kinda off topic for the thread, but I have to admit that a couple of times the theme has been a bit obscure for me. I usually try to make of it what I can. Some themes are a lot more fun than others. I've occasionally just sat out a whole thursday because I couldn't think of anything that really fit the theme (or was too lazy to figure out how to bend something to fit).

I usually pick something pretty obvious for my first pick and then wander as far from that as I can work out for the rest. In general, I think we get more obscure stuff on thursday than on any other request day.

imho,
lamour
Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 PM

As a former show-haver myself, here's my nine cents worth:

First, ALL shows, except maybe Gags, should be ONE HOUR. I like the Digressive Rock Hour idea, with emphasis on HOUR. As VAX mentioned, the #1 thing about AM is the request idea, and I'll add that #2 is that non-request song slots get filled randomly by SAM. A show (yes, even mine) ultimately give one person basically a big request pass.

The other thing is this: shows do not HAVE to be each week. The hardest thing about programming my headphone show back in the day was finding two hours of headphone music each week. Often I'd have 45 minutes of great headphone stuff, and then some other stuff that I thought would be worth a listen (everything sounds better in phones - KW called my can man for a reason).

If I were still doing BrainRock, it would NOT be weekly. It'd be "whenever-I've-got-a-legitimate-one-hour-of-music" show. A consistent air time, sure, but it doesn't have to be each and EVERY week. That's what took me so long to see: Internet radio does NOT have to fit into the FCC controlled formatting of broadcast radio. In other words, the AMers would learn that [i]if[i] there's a SHOW X this week, it's at 2 pm, as always.

Other than that, whatever on content. The biggest thing is don't let them get long in the teeth. I say one hour per show.

Spaz out.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Patron

I'm with some of the others, I think a Digressive hour or two would be fun.
I'm not a complainer, so whatever happens so be it. VAX, I understand your
point on Theme Thursday, but everyone seems to enjoy it. After all it was podakayne and myself that got the ball rolling on that thing again. I love the
community here and will go with the flow, no matter where it takes us...
I am easy to please when it comes to good music. Cheers and love to you all !
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

I think I'd have to jump onto the A.D.D. wagon as well. I would definately like to see more shows, but of shorter duration during the working week. On the weekends, I think the format can be a little longer. But at that, I'd like to see a two hour limit.

3 hours - It's too much time to fill with one subject and too many different subjects must be used to fill up the time. I live by the old entertainment adage of "Leave them wanting more." (and 'keep it simple..." doesn't fall far from that same tree).

4 hours - Gags is a four hour marathon of which a very low percentage of folks listen to on it's original broadcast night. Those that come into shout about then usually roll their virual eyes. Now out of that 4 hours, approximatley only 3 hours of it are music. The rest are promotions for New Jersey and other places and events that AM listeners have little to no interest in (or they've heard them so many times....). Do we really want promos and commercials on our airwaves?

The show just is not working as well anymore, for me. What that show was prior to the RIAA uproad has not seemed to return. Now, I have to admit I'm new to Tom's shows. I have only been listening to him about 1.5 years - not a very long time. Most of the time I can't understand the dialogue or monologue. I hardly ever know what's playing unless I recognize it. As Lamour said before, that takes a lot of the interest and enjoyment out of the program.

What I'd like to see from Tom is a version of his show that he does just for us. Not a rebroadcast of their Saturday night show, but a separate, individually programmed show just for AM listeners. Or perhaps just an interview show led by him that mixes Prog Music news and live or recorded interviews with parties of interest to our genre. Tom's musical knowledge is tantamout to the Prog scene on the East coast. He is a major force to be utilized to support and promote the growth and sustainment of Progressive Rock in the United States and abroad. I don't have issues with his talent, knowledge or artistic creativity. But I'd like to see it used more creatively and specifically to OUR end. I don't think we are here to promote 88.9FM. Not to mention that they too broadcast on the internet and anyone can get the same feed (if not a slightly better one at that as it is direct and not mirrored {or whatever you call it} thus reducing the quality of the sound). I find that redundant and not in character of the Flagship of the Prog Radio world (which is what we are IMHO).

Okay, enough about the present system, except to say, I miss the shows that have fallen by the wayside of late. I would like to seem those spots return or be replaced in a short format. I'll write more in another post about some of the types of shows I'd like to see.

And lastly, please everyone, understand I respect everyone's efforts towards making AM the best internet radio station. The time, dedication, knowledge, talent and BS&T it takes to do what each of you do is greatly appreciated. Do not think I don't understand or appreciate what you do. I know what it takes and I do appreciate you!!! But I do think we can fine tune everyone's talents and efforts into something better for everyone.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
I think I'd have to jump onto the A.D.D. wagon as well.
Then you'll love this one. I just bought it and have been meaning to get it for a long time, and will play it next week.

http://musicishere.com/artists/John_...ffordable_Food
Old 02-01-2008, 11:57 PM

A few more comments:

It seems three hours is long from the sampling we've seen here. I've no issue with two, if the consensus is such.

I do NOT agree about "it doesn't have to be every week". Consistency is key. Has nothing to do with commercial radio. It has to do with reliability and ease for the listener.

Dale, great points about Gagliarchives. However you won't get a version just for us, that's not feasible - unless you cut out the commercials.

I've been getting away from the three hours of the same band. Haven't done that in a while and will not in the forseeable future. I like individual songs personally. But a new release or an old classic deserves a full play, so that's 35-65 minutes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: