Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 AM

NearFest Newbie Questions - please help

Hi everyone,

Well, it's time for me to put up or shut up (and I know most of you are hoping I just shut up).

Anyway, I've always thought that if any of these 'fests signed Eloy to play, then I would have no choice but to go. But I'm looking for a bit of info from those in the know...

1. With this being the last NearFest, in conjunction with the strength of the line-up (at least in my opinion), am I going to need to go the more expensive "patron" route in order to assured of tickets? Or do you feel that I'm very safe if I wait until the March 3rd date for tickets?

2. When do the festivities end on Sunday? I will have roughly a 4 hour drive, so I have to decide if I need to book a hotel thru Sunday, or if it ends early enough to drive back after it is over.

thanks in advance...

Ken
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
la familia patron

Re: NearFest Newbie Questions - please help

Ken, in years past it was safe to wait on tickets. 2012 may be different. Things normally wrap up around 11 to 11:30 on Sunday. Once again 2012 could be different. Glad to see you are going, it should be outstanding.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKurt View Post
Ken, in years past it was safe to wait on tickets. 2012 may be different. Things normally wrap up around 11 to 11:30 on Sunday. Once again 2012 could be different. Glad to see you are going, it should be outstanding.
My experience has been different, Ken.
In 2008 I hit redial for 2 hours before I got the box office. In 2010 , I bought 4 tickets 40 minutes after the opening bell - got last row balcony. Froze our asses right under the AC vents.
I'm going Patron this year for the first time.
Looking forward to meeting you. You won't regret going.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM

I'm lucky enough to be able to go to the venue box office (at 5am or something) and get in line. If you can swing the trip, that's always worked reasonably well for us. I might show up the night before and get bad karma from the drunken college children again. What a hoot (it must've been "short black skirt night"). But watch out for Lehigh's Drunk-Swat Track-Suit At-the-Ready Stealth Pistol-Whip team. I thought they were gonna take us to a padded FBI cell for interrogation.

Tix could be interesting this year.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Patron

There's also the after show party at the hotel on all three nights. That's usually pretty fun. The last time Keneally played NF, he also played in the hotel ballroom. And, he's gonna be there again for 2012. The guy is a walking jukebox.

Coincidentally, I met Bryan Bellar (Mike's bassist) at a brewpub Friday night. Turns out we were both going to the Belew/Levin show a couple of blocks away.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Patron

For what its worth I always go patron, becasue I am risk averse. NF will sell out this year. For RoSfest, I buy regular seats because there are always plenty available. For both fests there is not a bad seat in the house (except maybe the last row of the balcony )

Worse case: If patron tix are too expensive and you get shut out at the box office, there are always people that buy tickets and are unable to go as the show gets closer. Every year I have seen tickets go on sale as the show approaches either on progressive ears (www.progressiveears.com) or on the NF forum.

Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Patron

all ya'll have a blast for me as once again i shall only be there in spirit
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM

poda, is your spirit getting the patron tickets, or waiting for the general admission tickets?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Patron

I booked 2 rooms at the Best Western - 300 Gateway - I may cancel one of them.
Nice pool and $99 a night NF rate. Good breakfasts.
Since Comfort Inn is sold out, let's make this place the satelite AM hostelry !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: