Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2003, 05:20 AM
KeithieW

Camel's farewell tour.

I saw Camel the other night at The Astoria in London. This is a GREAT venue for Rock Music. It's dark, dingey and is standing only. It makes for a VERY intimate atmosphere.

Pam, our friend Gill and I got a place upstairs (still standing only) which was about 20 feet from the bar.......not a bad thing at all.

We got there about an hour before the band were due on stage and got a few drinks inside us.

Right on cue at 8:30 the lights dimmed, the crowd roared and the band sauntered on the stage. Within moments the first notes of "Lady Fantasy" drifted through the hall and as soon as Andy started that wonderful guitar lick I knew it was going to be a good night.

You sensed that all was not totally 100% though when Andy started to sing. The poor lad had a filthy cold and was obviousley suffering. I'm amazed he did as well as he did.

Song followed song and after a while Colin Bass stepped up and they launched into "Echoes". I flew!!!!!!!!! This song has so many twists and turns. They played it superbly.

They played a tribute to the Late Peter Bardens with "Spirit on the Water" complete with Recorders and a beautiful piano sound. It literally brought a tear to my eye so beautiful was it. Colin Bass really does have a great voice.

Two and a half hours later and it was over. The last number was "For Today", a song about making the most of every moment presented to you. A beautiful ending to a great gig.

They encored with "Never let go" Quite apt really as this was their last ever London gig.

I was hoping they'd do "Homage to the God of Light" as a second encore but it was not to be. I guess Andy was feeling the strain a bit. He was vey emotional and that rubbed off on the rest of the audience too. Great sadness for the end of a very special time in the history of English Prog Rock!!!

I hope they continue to make records and who knows, maybe they'll get together again some time for a gig or two........I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Through this page I'd like to thank Andy Latimer and all the great musicans who have passed through the Camel ranks over the years for some of the most memorable nights of live music I have ever experienced.

Bless you!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: