Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Golden Earring

I know this has been mentioned before but I thought I'd bring it back up.
Golden Earring had 3 albums that were definetly prog rock material, they are...

Moontan
Switch
To The Hilt

There style has changed through the years, but these 3 albums are strictly prog/art rock related and imo classics and must haves. It would be great if these somehow made there way on the moon. Golden Earring wrote some great music on these albums.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Patron

Re: Golden Earring

... perhaps mr. rick could give us a listen so opinions can be made, my memory is lapsed on those 3 lps …but in the final run it is Officer Jim who'll be deciding

tata4now
Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Love the song "Vanilla Queen" from Moontan. I always thought the last 3 minutes of that should be some band/wrestler/boxer/sports team's intro music.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podakayne View Post
... perhaps mr. rick could give us a listen so opinions can be made, my memory is lapsed on those 3 lps …but in the final run it is Officer Jim who'll be deciding

tata4now
They must have a dozen or so records, but I own none...can't help on this one...but I like what I've heard...
Old 07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Owner/Program Director

I have to admit all I know from them is "Radar Love" and I can assure you THAT song won't be added - I'll see if I can find some sound samples...
Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
Love the song "Vanilla Queen" from Moontan. I always thought the last 3 minutes of that should be some band/wrestler/boxer/sports team's intro music.
I am still trying to work out what Prog really is. What I am finding out that almost everything I like is considered Prog or Prog related, that is except ABBA Moontan is in my collection and Vanilla Queen is the top track.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 PM

Thumbs up Re: Golden Earring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
They must have a dozen or so records, but I own none...can't help on this one...but I like what I've heard...
They have much more than a dozen records.More like 2 dozens!

Most of their albums recorded between 1968 and 1977 have lots of prog bits on them.Supersister's keyboardist Robert Jan Stipps played with them for awhile.

''Vanilla Queen'' and ''She flies on Strange Wings'' are two of their best proggy songs.And they have many more.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r

Jim I'm really shocked you haven't heard Moontan. Every song except Radar Love belongs on the moon. Side One from Switch is also very, very good. Moon material I'm not so sure. But 4 songs from Moontan are definite fits for the library. It's been to long since I've listened to 'To The Hilt'. I'll have to spin that one again.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
I have to admit all I know from them is "Radar Love" and I can assure you THAT song won't be added - I'll see if I can find some sound samples...
Radar Love made this Prog Rock collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-F...0375059#disc_5

but not Aural Moon's.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Radar Love made this Prog Rock collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-F...0375059#disc_5

but not Aural Moon's.
That's funny -

I missed this collection. Looks like the increased their prog cred by enlisting Roger Dean...
Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Most of their albums recorded between 1968 and 1977 have lots of prog bits on them.Supersister's keyboardist Robert Jan Stipps played with them for awhile.

''Vanilla Queen'' and ''She flies on Strange Wings'' are two of their best proggy songs.And they have many more.[/quote]

Some datas about Golden Earing ( with one r sorry) As a belgian rock fan i learnt to like that band from our neighborhood country, Holland,Home of Dutch,

They began as a british pop like band with a rether good domestic success.
In 1969 they recorded Eight miles high ' a cover of the famous Birds's song' ( the track filled one side of the LP) . The version is high quality psyché-rock .

Their next Lp simply entitled Golden earing feetures a 7 minutes long track called Brother Wind , it is as good as any Jethro tull stuff from the same period ( flute and guitar)

Moontan is the zenith of their career , tracks like Vanilla Queen and above all 'Are you receiving me?' are more prog than lot os stuff in the Am library . that's why i did not understand Jim's radical statement about radar love ( the LP version is unabriged , a gem !). Just for the record , european label of GE was¨Polydor, in order to gain success in UK and in the USA, GE' Moontan has been issued on TRACK records for UK and US markets. track was the The Who's own label. The TRACK version's set list is different and gives to the LP a more psych rock color than the Polydor's one which is more rock oriented. Moontan Lp's cover art was frankly glamour but the UK/US was rather tame.

Switch and To the hilt showed also pro elements . Ther only weak point is imho the lyrics of thier songs . ( example : ' ce soir' from their Switch Lp is a real florilège ( en français dans le texte)

the band was an outstanding and wild live act. They were nicknamed ' the flying dutchmen' . They were as good as The Who themselves . The best testimony of GE's live performance is the 1977/78 double LP 'LIVE' , the band hosted the fantastic blues guitarist Elco Geeling ( from seminal dutch blues rock band Cubby and the blizzard) . She flies on strange wings and mad love is coming from that live DLP are superb tracks.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DEzerov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
That's funny -

I missed this collection. Looks like the increased their prog cred by enlisting Roger Dean...

Many great tracks on this one...Gave me my first opportunity to hear Wigwam, Supersister, Salma Mammas Manna, Quiet Sun, Savage Rose, and Lard Free...

*Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought.

*The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Owner/Program Director

OK how's this for trust - I picked up Moontan. (For Mailotron's sake, I never said I didn't LIKE Radar Love, I just don't think it's prog). I am almost certainly going to add all but two tracks of Moontan - Candy's Going Bad isn't prog either, to my ears, but the rest holds up pretty well. thanks for the education, I don't get that often about bands from that era! I love it!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r

Wow, we spoke , Jim reacted. Isn't that wonderful. Beware what else we say jim, we may fool you. It is a great cd. Too bad Golden Earring didn't put out more stuff like that. If you ever get a chance, pick up Switch for a listen. The first 5 songs are excellent. May not for the moon, but for your ears.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks Jim. I'm psyched. Gonna get some Moontan on the Moon. The song's you're adding are classics...
from'Moontan'...http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg...0:giftxqu5ldke

Vannila Queen
Big Tree, Blue Sea
Are You Recieving Me

Although I'd be hard pressed not to include 'Candy's Going Bad' as well. It may be more of a rocker but it still fits on the moon Thanks again Jim, I can hardly wait.

Other Golden Earring songs deserving of Aural Moon airplay...
from 'Switch'...http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg...0:fzfqxq85ldhe

Intro: Plus Minus Absurdio
The Switch
Love Is A Rodeo
Kill Me (Ce Soir)

from 'To The Hilt'...http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg...0:difyxqu5ldke

Facedancer
Nomad
Violins

I have the CD 'To The Hilt' and I'd be willing to donate it so these songs may be included. How do I send it to you?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 PM

Cool.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Banned

Because of "Radar love" and the album 'Moontan' Golden Earring became also popular outside Holland. As mentioned before most of their work turned towards traditional stadium rock. No one mentioned that Barry Hay (their singer) also had an adventurous and progressive solo album : "Only parrots, frogs and angels" that came out in 1972.
And strange is also that nobody mentioned one of Holland's most important progbands : KAYAK that still exist today.
Their first album came out in 1973 and all their six seventies albums are essential for all who enjoy easy-going, melodieus progrock with haunting tunes that sounded simple but weren't. Their 3 albums from the '80's are also good but more pop style and shorter songs.
This century they reunited and their new album (number 16) is called "Coming up for air". Also great are the conceptalbums "Merlin - bard of the unseen" (2003) and "Nostradamus - the fate of man" (2005), both are double cd's.
In Holland they had 9 single hits and one of them became internationally known : "Ruthless Queen" (1978 and in 1979 outside Holland).
Old 07-14-2008, 03:32 PM

iun the seventies I saw Kayak live 3 or 4 times , they were very poplular in Belgium playing a prog pop rock close to Machiavel's . I like thier 4 first LP , don't forget Ton Scherpenzeel ( sharped mind ?) has played a lot with Andy latimer himself . Happy Dutch with their lot of top rock band ;-)
Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM
KeithieW

I only have one golden Earring album. A vinyl copy of their 1969 album "Eight Miles High".

The title track is an 18 minute cover of the Byrds classic and is a bit of a psychedelic noodle. Not a bad album but not really Moon material IMHO.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Guess the debate is over now that Moontan has been added to the library.

Thanks Jim!

Happiness is a worn pun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: