Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Owner/Program Director

Baja Prog 2007 day 1

Drove to Mexicali (took about two hours, much easier than last years marathon drive through the San Diego East county mountains in over a foot of snow, taking seven hours) after work today. Missed the Wednesday lunchtime shows, Time's Forgotten from Costa Rica - bummed just because I've never seen a prog band from Costa Rica; and Griesgraber/Marrotta. Bummed because Tom Griesgraber is probably the best stick player I've ever seen (and I've seen most of the famous ones). Got into town in time to eat at Pollo Feliz (Happy Chicken), the best chicken you've never had. Forgot that the new extended daylight savings time doesn't apply to Mexico and got to the stadium an hour early. Had a beer and waited for Cast.

Cast
Alfonso Vidales (keyboards) is the man – he's the guy that puts on Bajaprog, and he can play! Guitarist is surprisingly excellent. Background playing, melodic Hackettesque fills to Gilmouresque leads, chords, etc. Reminded me of my friend Larry Mitchell – sometimes you don’t realize you’re hearing a virtuoso due to the excellent melodic content- you have to either watch his hands or really concentrate, then it's basically, "Good Lord, is this guy human?!". Really good drummer, rock sensibility, melodic, rhythmic, creative fills. Many of you realize that I'm pretty critical of drummers, being one. This guy plays like I'd like to, but better. Two flutes at first; lead male singer played flute 2. Typical lineup - 2 vox, bass, guitar, flute, drums and keys. Very nice performance, especially the instrumentals. Interesting video playing behind the stage. Mostly a hand drawing various characters that you'd see on the program, but lots of interesting fades into special effects and live video. Video continued for all acts, with some minor variations.

Fromuz

Bass, drums, guitar, 2 keys. Spacey, floyd meets hawkwind meets ozrics with a modern hard edge. Pretty good, had an interesting, modern sound with lots of classic prog feel. May buy some for AM. Samples used, a la Ozrics at NF, with a key exception. With Indukti, it was used as an intro. Instruments joined in, and at a key point, the sample cut out or became irrelevant (versus Ozrics where it was the heart of the song). My point being Indukti used the same tool as Ozrics to MUCH better effect. The BJP program said Indukti plays violin, which I never saw. Definitely heard keys that sounded like violin though. A few musical transitions were quite awkward though tight. Conversely, many transitions were musically fluid AND tight.

An already good, and very promising band.

Univers Zero

Chamber rock. I think the lineup says it all: Drums (Daniel Denis, who happens to be the composer and leader of the band), bass, keys, violin, and 2 wind players. Very intricate, complex, yet clean music and arrangements. Frighteningly flawless performance. (Robotic intervention suspected)

My brother is supposed to arrive tomorrow; he couldn't get any time off today. And I think that's it for day 1. More as I have time...

Last edited by progdirjim : 03-25-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:52 AM

Re: Baja Prog 2007 day 1

I really like friends' reviews better than "organized" ones....

Good to see Cast still going at it. They were great 10 years ago, and sounds like they still are!

Thanks for the Indukti review, as they will be at Nearfest....the Ozric thing with the samples driving the song is really just a recent thing. I've seen them numerous times prior, and it was always about the bass/drum setting the pace. Nearfest 2006 was disappointing for sure. Indukti should be fun by your account.

The Brothers Brennan....Got to pull up that picture and post it here
Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Owner/Program Director

Baja Prog 2007 day 2 afternoon session

Saw Naikaku (Japan) and Flor De Loto (Peru) earlier today. Naikaku features a female flautist, as well as (male) bass, drums, guitar, keys. The guitar sound has a fair amount of crunch, so picture a more aggressive Tull, and you'll have an idea of their sound. All instrumental. The flautist was petite, and dressed in a traditional Japanese silk dress/kimono. Looking at her, you never would have predicted the aggressive way she played the flute. One song that didn't feature any flute drifted uncomfortably close to Dream Theater territory for me. The band was young and energetic, even emotive on the stage. One song had no keyboards, and some of the jamming included perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen on stage. While the bass and guitar are jamming towards each other, heads bobbing in time with the music, the keyboardist is eating a bowl of rice with chopsticks, head bobbing to the music. It's hard to describe, but take my word for it, it was hilarious. After he finished the rice (he turned the bowl upside down to show us), he was air drumming with the chopsticks. An enjoyable show, and we have their album "Shell" on the Moon, give it a listen. Second band was Flor de Loto, featuring bass, drums, guitar and a gentleman dressed in some kind of native american garb with an elaborate headpiece who played flute, ethnic percussion and transverse flute. Their music had a nice mix of prog and ethnic (Latin) sound to it, quite interesting. I picked up their CD for the Moon. The guitarist added a lot of texture to the music, and he could shred (and did so on a few occasions). The other nice part about all of the Bajaprog afternoon shows is that they're outside, and they serve $1.50 tacos and $2.00 beers. I found myself standing next to Thijs Van Leer (from Focus) a few times, and we chatted about the preponderance of flutes this year - 3 of 5 acts featured flute prominently, and a fourth (Univers Zero) featured 2 wind instrument players. I'm off to the evening session in a few, more later.

Last edited by progdirjim : 03-22-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Owner/Program Director

Baja Prog 2007 day 2 evening

RPWL

To my ears, this German band sounds Floydian, not in a derivative way, with some 80's rock (the good stuff) mixed in. Bass, drums, guitar, keys and vocals. They mentioned they added a second keyboardist for live shows - I think the lead vocalist must also play keys on the albums - live he just sang. Very tight, very solid. Yogi the guitarist is quite good, and must be one of the leaders of the group. Also had the best stage presence. I liked that the vocalist introduced each song by telling what it was about. They had their own video display going, nicely coordinated to the music/lyrics. Very likeable band.

Ritual

Swedish 4 piece group that morphed from a typical bass, drums, keys, guitar lineup to an interesting array of ethnic/acoustic instruments,depending on the song. Guitarist was the main singer, interesting voice. Keyboard player always played keys. On the acoustic numbers, drummer played what looked like a toy xylophone and a bizzare instrument that looked like the stick, was worn like a guitar, was played with a bow, and had fingered extensions from the lower part of the neck that controlled the notes. Bassist played bouzoki (sp?) and a recorder/penny whistle type of thing. Overall sound on the electric stuff was a more progressive Led Zep, maybe Zep mixed with Yes. Acoustic stuff was nicely folkish/ethnic. Interesting dressers.

Tony Levin Band

They were great, *yawn.* What did you expect me to say? As much as I enjoyed them, it's hard to write about such an iconic figure. What am I gonna say that you don't already know? Maybe the variety? Opened with a barbershop quartet self-introductory piece featuring incredible harmonies and an obvious sense of self-deprecating humor. Second piece was one of the most progressive pieces of music at the festival so far - polyrhythmic drums, keys, guitar alternating between rhythm, lead and textures, and Tony playing the stick with a bow. Third song was a well crafted pop song with vocals and progressive overtones. You get the idea. Tony has a fabulous stage presence/persona.

In the side note column, there's a few interesting pieces of art in the lobby of the Teatro Del Estado, and it's cool hearing all the languages being spoken.

Peace out.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 AM

Re: Baja Prog 2007 day 2 evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
In the side note column, there's a few interesting pieces of art in the lobby of the Teatro Del Estado, and it's cool hearing all the languages being spoken.

Peace out.
Jim,

Thanks for the interesting commentary and information. I appreciate your sharing it with us! Sounds like you are having - had a GREAT time.

Ted
Old 03-23-2007, 07:02 AM

Naikaku just got announced for ProgDay. Steve Sly must be over there too.. Glad to see new blood!

Did you see RPWL at Rosfest or was that the year you missed? They used to be a Floyd cover band....they did a 18-minute "Cymbaline", "Welcome to the Machine" (that was intense), and the obligatory "Comfortably Numb" Singer Yogi is a happy man...

Glad Ritual was good. There on the short list of "bands I NEED to see".

As for the ubiquitous Tony Levin (I mean he's even playing with Todd Rundgen this summer!) I'm just not into a lot of his solo music. But he always has a great band....

keep it coming Jim...we're all living vicariously through you this weekend
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to Sintetista Send a message via Yahoo to Sintetista Send a message via Skype™ to Sintetista
Baja Prog

Excellent dirjim, thanx for the news. I definitely wanted to be there..

But reading your review is next to better.

Hope you keep enjoying the tacos and Pollo. Don´t forgett to go cruizin´ for tacos and chicks

Keep the news coming.

And say hello to Alfonzo Vidales from Muros de Agua if you get a chance.

May the prog Gods keep on keeping...

So long Raul Cesar aka Sintetista
Old 03-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Owner/Program Director

Baja Prog 2007 day 3 afternoon

First band - Ezoo. Easily the least progressive band of the festival, but enjoyable. Lineup - bass, drums, guitar and stick/female vocalist. Ended up watching this band with Warren Dale, keyboardist from French TV. He had the great quote that it used to be that mellotron didn't guarantee a prog act, and now it's stick that doesn't guarantee it. Further, her stick was way too low in the mix so it was hard to hear her synth patches. Could hear the tapping though, and it was clear she was a competent player.

Overall they sounded like Rush at their least progressive, with a strong guitarist who switched nicely between many styles. I felt they'd improve by working out a distinctive personal style. The stick/vocalist did a spoken word vocal thing that was different and cool, added a kind of Ani DiFranco or Jane Siberry vibe to the music. Wished she did more of it. They did a cover of "We Will Rock You" (Queen) leading into "Comfortably Numb", neither of which worked for me.

Next band was Mar de Robles from Chile. They billed themselves as an ethno-prog band, but the ethnic part was small. Really good band though. First song featured the guitarist (who was excellent) tapping, bass, drums and flute - it was my favorite piece, very beautiful and melodic. Next songs had a slightly harder edge, and still good. Flautist also played sax, and the bass player stick. A King Crimson feel came up in parts (mostly due to the stick and tapping guitar interplay). All instrumental. More later...
Old 03-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Owner/Program Director

Baja Prog 2007 day 3 evening

Ain Soph

The only Japanese Canterbury band, we're told. Jazzy prog, all instrumental. Guitarist and keyboardist were the leaders, both good. I heard lots of David Sinclair (from Caravan) in the keys. Overall a mellow sound, but one I like a lot. We have 3 albums from them on the Moon.

Satellite

Neo-prog band from Poland. The drummer is from Collage. Intro: the guitarist (as I found out later) sits on the second drumset and starts playing a nice syncopated beat. The actual drummer comes on stage, enticing the audience to clap. Being the cynic that I am, I'm thinking "You haven't earned this yet", and he makes a complete circle through the audience - you'd have to see the theater, but I mentally agreed, "you've earned it" and clapped along. Went into a nice set of solid neo-prog - closest comparison is 80's Marillion or Wind and Wuthering era Genesis. Vocalist is Polish but sings in flawless English. Drummer is clearly one of the leaders of the band; listening to their CDs I hadn't realized just how active (in a good way) he is.

Rudess/Morgenstein Project

Drums and keyboards. Facing each other across the stage. Two virtuosos. Jordan in particular has a good stage persona; Rod is pretty likeable as well. Jaw dropping jams, obviously written and rehearsed. Another "what am I going to tell you" show. *duh* Jordan can play piano really fast */duh*

I'm getting tired of reviewing, but maybe more tomorrow.

In case I'm too burnt out, Fromuz is FROMUZbekistan, hence the name. Fusiony prog, we have them on the moon. And La Perra, a bass and drum duet if I'm reading correct. We'll call that one rhythmic...

Sat nite is Lazuli (reviewed last year and on the Moon), Balletto di Bronzo (picture an Italian ELP on steroids), and Focus.

Adios.

Last edited by progdirjim : 03-24-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to Thor

Jim,
Thanks for the excellent coverage of the event... think I'll have to call you the "Jimmy Olsen of Prog", ah.... maybe not Glad you're enjoying the show, you've made Indukti sound very appetizing in mentioning Floyd, Hawkwind and Ozrics as comparative reference. Take the que from the Mexicans... sounds like you need a siesta

om namah shivaya
om gan ganapataye namah
om aim saraswataye namah
om shrim mahalaxmaye
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Ain Soph is a nice band, haven't seen them yet..sounds good.

Satellite did the same intro last year at Rosfest. After that, they suffered greatly from a poor sound and a very un-confident performance. they had only played a handful of times live and were basically a studio creation at the time. I really like the "Sunrise/Suset" CD and it appears that not only is there a newer one, but that their live performances are greatly improved

Ever since I've seen Morgenstein way back when with the Dregs, I always wondered how many flies jump in his mouth (he usually plays with his mouth open)...and I can't believe he was in Winger! but he is excellent...and it's great to see Rudess as the main man - he's another supreme talent.

Thanks for the reviewing...

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 03-25-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
Collage did the same intro two years back at Rosfest.
???
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM

I meant Satellite and not Collage and it was just last year...made the corrections in the post, thanks...
Old 03-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Owner/Program Director

Re: Baja Prog 2007 Correction and summary

Well do I feel stupid. On Wednsday night, the second slot was supposed to be Indukti; the second band was announced as Indukti; but in fact it was Fromuz who played. So I've updated the post to reflect that, and that certainly explains why there was no violin. Apparently one of the members had a visa issue that took a few extra days to resolve.

So last day, afternoon acts were La Perra, bass and drum duo - good, but felt more like a clinic or demonstration than music to me. Enjoyable for a little while, but left me a bit cold. Second band was (for real) Indukti. They have a heavy Tool like sound which I'm not a fan of, but if you're into hard rock/Tool, you'll really like them. They were tight and profesional, and had a bit more depth than Tool to my ears. Also, the violin, when featured more prominently, forced them to tone it down a bit and made for some enjoyable passages.

Night time show opened with Lazuli - wild instrumentation - two guitars, mallet perscussion, miscellaneous percussion, stick, and the Liode (or something like that) that was invented by the guy playing it. They had some interesting passages, especially when the mallet percussion was featured. But they suffered from a muddled sound - not sure if it was them or the sound board. Sound was pretty good for everyone else.

Next up was Balletto di Bronzo. Classic Italian keyboard/bass/drum trio. The keyboardist/vocalist and only original member was, shall we say, flamboyant. Wildly entertaining. Serious keyboards and vocals, mostly a heavier ELP sound. Pretty good stuff. They played their classic "Ys" album in it's entirety, which was a treat.

Final act, Focus. They were awesome. Thijs Van Leer is a big fellow, and his voice has lost some of its former range (which was absurdly wide when he was younger), but he still has it, and is quite the keyboardist and flautist. Original drummer Pierre Van Der Linden is back in the fold, and I've always liked his style - Jazzy and lots of classic rudiments, but well integrated into a rock style. New bassist is good. New guitarist had some pretty big shoes to fill in Jan Akkerman, and did a fantastic job. I'm not big on comparing players, but he was greatly talented, and his sound was a perfect mix of his own, but with references and homage to Akkerman. A pleasant surprise. They played some new stuff, and a good selection of older stuff including many of the Focus X pieces and Sylvia. A personal favorite was Eruption in it's entirety - the entire side 2 of the Moving Waves album. Hamburger Concerto would have been nice, but just not enough time.

(I missed ROSfest the year RPWL played there)

Whew! It's good to be home. 18 bands in 4 days,,,

Last edited by progdirjim : 03-27-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:04 AM
KeithieW

Fantastic reviews Jim....made me feel I was there and you can't ask more from a review than that.

Maybe we can discuss that over a pint or ten later in the year.

Glad you had a great time and got home safe.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:03 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Baja Prog 2007 Correction and summary

Quote:
(I missed ROSfest the year RPWL played there)
Which is what got me there in the first place.

Quote:
Whew! It's good to be home. 18 bands in 4 days,,,
Did you go to the after bash at Alfonzo's villa?
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Smile Re: Baja Prog 2007 day 1

I went to the Festival for the first time this year, coming from Northern California. The event was terrific from beginning to end - very, very well done by Alfonso Vidales! Not only was the Hotel Airiza festivities top-notch, the events were well-attended by the local citizenry. Mexicali's local Classic Rock station played progressive rock all week on the radio, and interviewed several of the headliners on the air!

Besides the headline acts, I thought Ritual was the best band. Judging by the enthusiastic ovations they got after each song, I think most of the crowd felt the same way. Their guitarist and singer - Patrik Lundstrom - was easily the strongest vocalist of the bands there. Great showmanship and sense of melody. He was mobbed by everyone when he and the band went in the hall after the show, and at the subsequent outdoor events.

Second best for me was Lazuli Their musicianship was outstanding, covering many unusual instruments, including the Leode which was created by it's player, Claude Leonetti. Very good stage presence by their vocalist Dominique Leonetti (brothers?)

For me, best of the rest would be Cast, RPWL and Satellite. And I can't leave out the guy who locked himself in the handicapped stall in the Men's room each nite at the Theatre and entertained us with his percussion and vocalizing. He even held a light show with a flashlight! Strange but hilarious - talk about your captive audience!
Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 PM

[quote=progdirjim;25514]Drove to Mexicali (took about two hours, much easier than last years marathon drive through the San Diego East county mountains in over a foot of snow, taking seven hours) after work today. Missed the Wednesday lunchtime shows, Time's Forgotten from Costa Rica - bummed just because I've never seen a prog band from Costa Rica; and Griesgraber/Marrotta. Bummed because Tom Griesgraber is probably the best stick player I've ever seen (and I've seen most of the famous ones). Got into town in time to eat at Pollo Feliz (Happy Chicken), the best chicken you've never had. Forgot that the new extended daylight savings time doesn't apply to Mexico and got to the stadium an hour early. Had a beer and waited for Cast.

Cast
Alfonso Vidales (keyboards) is the man – he's the guy that puts on Bajaprog, and he can play! Guitarist is surprisingly excellent. Background playing, melodic Hackettesque fills to Gilmouresque leads, chords, etc. Reminded me of my friend Larry Mitchell – sometimes you don’t realize you’re hearing a virtuoso due to the excellent melodic content- you have to either watch his hands or really concentrate, then it's basically, "Good Lord, is this guy human?!". Really good drummer, rock sensibility, melodic, rhythmic, creative fills. Many of you realize that I'm pretty critical of drummers, being one. This guy plays like I'd like to, but better. Two flutes at first; lead male singer played flute 2. Typical lineup - 2 vox, bass, guitar, flute, drums and keys. Very nice performance, especially the instrumentals. Interesting video playing behind the stage. Mostly a hand drawing various characters that you'd see on the program, but lots of interesting fades into special effects and live video. Video continued for all acts, with some minor variations.

Fromuz

Bass, drums, guitar, 2 keys. Spacey, floyd meets hawkwind meets ozrics with a modern hard edge. Pretty good, had an interesting, modern sound with lots of classic prog feel. May buy some for AM. Samples used, a la Ozrics at NF, with a key exception. With Indukti, it was used as an intro. Instruments joined in, and at a key point, the sample cut out or became irrelevant (versus Ozrics where it was the heart of the song). My point being Indukti used the same tool as Ozrics to MUCH better effect. The BJP program said Indukti plays violin, which I never saw. Definitely heard keys that sounded like violin though. A few musical transitions were quite awkward though tight. Conversely, many transitions were musically fluid AND tight.

An already good, and very promising band.
======

The heading is correct. The second band was Fromuz. In a couple of places in this review, you refer to Indukti, but I think you must mean Fromuz throughout, correct? Fromuz was moved to the Numero Dos spot because of Indukti missing their flight out of Poland. It was really kind of a mad scramble for Fromuz to get ready for their performance, in part because of not having the right pair of keyboards, which required reprogramming the Roland just 2 hours from showtime.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Re: Baja Prog 2007 day 3 evening

Quote:
Ain Soph
Rudess/Morgenstein Project

Drums and keyboards. Facing each other across the stage. Two virtuosos. Jordan in particular has a good stage persona; Rod is pretty likeable as well. Jaw dropping jams, obviously written and rehearsed. Another "what am I going to tell you" show. *duh* Jordan can play piano really fast */duh*

I'm getting tired of reviewing, but maybe more tomorrow.

Adios.
weighing in 2 months later... I was pretty disappointed in these guys. Rudess definitely needs a band to keep him in balance. Too many flourishes, ALL THE TIME! The best part was when he did a solo piano session, sans drums. That was, IMHO, the most tasteful portion of their performance. I think Morgenstein also needs a band to keep him toned down a bit. The impression I had of these guys was that in their minds "more is more." It was heavy and overblown. I'd much rather listen to them in band settings. Bring on the Dregs and LTE.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: