Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Patron

Help wanted: Android Music Player

Dear All!

First of all thank you for even clicking on this thread. I am in search for a SW for an Android tablet. Here the story:

We bought an Android (4.1) tablet to replace a very old Windows XP laptop. Everything is wonderful but: We have our music stored on a W-Lan Hard disk. My beloved wife Doris, who uses this tablet, wants to listen to her music organized in playlists of the database of all the music we have stored. These playlists could be on the tablet, but refer to the main storage media, as a download to the tablet would be too much for this device..(So, the tablet has to be just a "go through" device for data)

Until now I have not found an app for this..Does anybody of you have an idea?..If this thread is not clear, please post an reply or pm me.

Thanks to all for your help

Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: Help wanted: Android Music Player

Theres is never really one simple answer, of course. Several questions to consider.
1. Is this to stream around the house within the confines of your own wifi?
2. Is this feature going to be for just the tablet or will android or iphones need to be able to use it?
3. Is this a lot of music? Perhaps a cloud based service would work (i.e. Amazon or itunes or several others).
4. I use Helium Music Manager for my huge library. This program has apps for android, windows, and iPhone/pods/pads. This app lets you stream directly from your own pc. I really like it's sql based DB. It really does more than most programs to help me catalog the music files (tags and properly renaming files, etc.) It is not "slick" but has good basic player.
5. I also use what was once known as SqueezeBox. It's primarly purpose was to stream your computer music files to a player elsewhere in the home (i.e. hooked up to your stereo in the L. It has grown over the years with more sophisticated devices and has added apps to stream anywhere.

Here is a site of several apps for android. http://www.subsonic.org/pages/apps.jsp
Let the search for the Great White Whale (streamer) begin.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
Theres is never really one simple answer, of course. Several questions to consider.
1. Is this to stream around the house within the confines of your own wifi?
2. Is this feature going to be for just the tablet or will android or iphones need to be able to use it?
3. Is this a lot of music? Perhaps a cloud based service would work (i.e. Amazon or itunes or several others).
4. I use Helium Music Manager for my huge library. This program has apps for android, windows, and iPhone/pods/pads. This app lets you stream directly from your own pc. I really like it's sql based DB. It really does more than most programs to help me catalog the music files (tags and properly renaming files, etc.) It is not "slick" but has good basic player.
5. I also use what was once known as SqueezeBox. It's primarly purpose was to stream your computer music files to a player elsewhere in the home (i.e. hooked up to your stereo in the L. It has grown over the years with more sophisticated devices and has added apps to stream anywhere.

Here is a site of several apps for android. http://www.subsonic.org/pages/apps.jsp
Let the search for the Great White Whale (streamer) begin.
Thanks for your help OHD:

1. Yes
2. Just Android Tablet
3. A lot of music
4. I have a netdrive (connected via Ethernet to the WiFi Router) to stream music via PC's and Logitech bluetooth adapter (music stored only on the netdrive). Same adapter I will use for the tablet.
I only found the Western Digital Mycloud app to browse the database (ans so the music library). When clicking on the titles it plays.
I did not find a player, in which you can select as a database the external Netdrive and use playlists on it
I will check up your suggestion.

Thanks

Last edited by lotus : 04-21-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Patron

Just an update:

I checked about 20 players, not one allows external databases...I cannot imagine that nobody thought of such an application...

Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Patron

So I guess nobody on the Moon has a solution to my problem..

Nevertheless thank you for reading this thread (And thanks to OHD for answering..) .. If I find something I will let you know...

Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Just an update:

I checked about 20 players, not one allows external databases...I cannot imagine that nobody thought of such an application...
Lotus,

Did you check the Logitech Sqeezebox Controller App? You can use that remotely if you have the players connected to mysqueezebox.com.

I think this might work if it's compatible with your devices.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ay_from_H ome

Here they give you other apps from different sources that word with logitech.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ps_for_Android

I hope that helps.

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Patron

Dear Dale,

sorry, that did not work either, as I have no Logitech squeezebox installed. I have only the Logitech wireless adapter. The database with the music is on a net-harddisk drive connected directly to the WLan router.

Thanks for your help

Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Patron

Hi Lotus. I don't know if something like this can help.

I tried to do something similar with iOS, loading a remote library to something like an iPod touch is untenable with a very large library due to the amount of time it takes to load via iTunes. With all that Apple stress interoperability among its device family, some things I view as trivial seems to be too demanding, and it certainly doesn't seem to me they spent any time testing under these conditions.

Still having said all that, I am confident a technical solution exists.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
Hi Lotus. I don't know if something like this can help.

I tried to do something similar with iOS, loading a remote library to something like an iPod touch is untenable with a very large library due to the amount of time it takes to load via iTunes. With all that Apple stress interoperability among its device family, some things I view as trivial seems to be too demanding, and it certainly doesn't seem to me they spent any time testing under these conditions.

Still having said all that, I am confident a technical solution exists.
Thanks GR, this works now as a player. I will test it out and report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: