Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Buffering settings for Winamp on Windows

I was asked to post this info regarding where the buffer settings are for the Winamp music player on the Windows OS. If you are experiencing clicks or frequent buffering using Winamp to listen to the Aural Moon stream using the Winamp player on Windows , here's where those buffer settings are, they're buried kinda deep. I'm going to address the MP3 decoder settings, if you listen to a different format stream, it should be similar.

With the Winamp player in focus (click on it), click the Options menu item at the top in the menu bar. Then click Preferences in the menu (or simply ctrl-p once Winamp has focus). Scroll down to the Plugins section and select Input. A list of the decoders you have installed will display in the pane on the right. Select "Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder" (it will have some version info after it but that doesn't really matter I don't think). At the bottom of this pane is a Configure button, so click it. This will pop a config dialog for that decoder. Select the Streaming tab, this tab will likely have a "Streaming Data Buffer" input box in the upper left corner of the dialog. The default is 64 (the units are KB). Increase this value to something like 512 and you'll probably no longer hear clicks or see buffering messages from Winamp whilst listening to Aural Moon MP3 streams. As always YMMV, hope this helps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: