Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to DEzerov
Were the Tubes prog?

Always enjoyed Fee Waybill and co. from the 1st time I heard White Punks on Dope....just picked up Remote Control and a best of compilation from their period with Capitol...
Were they prog? Art Rock? Glam? An amalgam of all three?

Sadly I never saw them live...

And Vince Welnick should have never joined the Grateful Dead...we know what happens to all of the keyboardists there....

*Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought.

*The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism.

Last edited by DEzerov : 01-11-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Re: Were the Tubes prog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEzerov View Post
Always enjoyed Fee Waybill and co. from the 1st time I heard White Punks on Dope....just picked up Remote Control and a best of compilation from their period with Capitol...
Were they prog? Art Rock? Glam? An amalgam of all three?

And Vince Welnick should have never joined the Grateful Dead...we kow what happens to all of the keyboardists there....
I used to think that Dead keysmen were like Spinal Tap drummers, but Bruce Hornsby kind of broke that curse.

Even so called prog bands have other elements. Calling a band prog is kind of difficult anymore. It's all music, really. I'm sure some of their music was prog, but they're no more a prog BAND than say, Jethro Tull.

I always laugh at reviewers when they say, "combining thrash, post-punk, prog, classical, and even Yugoslavian bingo hall music"....bottom line is Dez, if you want them to be prog, then I'm with you.

They are a fun band.....
Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
la familia patron

Ah the Tubes, an SF Bay Area legend. Brings back memories of my youth.. I think I remember. Wikipedia calls them Theatre Rock. I always thought it was rock. Call it what you want, it's just fun. WPOD was our anthem back then. Rock... Prog on.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Patron

Like Relayer said the mention of the Tubes brings back fond memories of concerts past, as to the question whether they are prog or not, never thought about it much, just enjoyed the band for who they are and like R&R sayz, if you think they are prog, then they must be to you, which is really what is important here, Heck I consider ELO and 10cc to be prog, pop prog, but prog none the less
Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM

There's a brief but fast and hot 5/8 instrumental section in "Space Babies" on their first album that doesn't fit any category other than prog. You can also say a number of other songs--such as "Up From the Deep" and "Telecide" and "Getoverture" from Remote Control, with their constant changes (though not odd 5- or 7-beat timesigs)--edge close enough to prog to warrant consideration. I saw the Tubes twice. Fun shows.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:24 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Hey, "What Do you Want From Life?"
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 PM

I saw The Tubes live right around the time when I just started to become aware of prog(1985)and was already into Yes, Genesis, etc but was still pretty new to the genre. At the time I didn't think of the Tubes as being part of that whole thing but they did seem different to me(in a good way ofcourse). The opening act for the concert I saw was Utopia and was not familiar with them much at the time but thought it was cool how the drummer's drum set spun around and around. Too bad I missed the topless dancers for the Tubes show(must have been in the bathroom ;( ).
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
No clue anymore

I Don't think so. I saw a reunion concert(1991) of thier's and it was rock. They were very good and polished.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

While they were certainly 'progressive' to music and furthered the progression of the growth in music stylings of that time, I could not group them in the genre of Progressive Rock.

Their use of electronics and a variety of genres fused together still were guided by a heavier influence of punk and new wave rock. I can listen to their music right along with Prog anytime, as I do many other similar groups that are not considered Prog, but I would not put them in the same genre.

Wouldn't mind hearing them here once in a while on an occasional "not quite prog" show.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to rigel1

I remember seeing this band live in '76 in Santa Cruz,CA in a local movie theater. Fantastic Show!! I think Theater Rock is probably a good genre title - although they had some "prog" type leanings at times - especially with the keyboards.

I remember Fee Waybill dressed up as "Quay Lude" for this gig. It was great!! A very,very risque show. Great costuming - and the antics on stage make Madonna's "Crucifix" concert tane in comparison.

I also saw them again in CA during their reunion tour. Also a good show... They usually played pretty small venues - which to me is the best way to experience musical group.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r

I always thought they were part of the New Wave stuff ala The Cars.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 AM

IMHO The Tubes were not prog at all just a whacky wierd wonderful pop rock band that remanied too far back in the shadows of the B-52's and they did not get the album sales or tours or recognitnion they deserved.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Hey, "What Do you Want From Life?"
"Well, you can't have that. BUT, as an American, you are entitled to..."

Not prog but good and awfully fun...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to Thor

PRIME TIME! one of their best.

The Tubes used a lot of the same instrumentation as musicians in the prog world, but I wouldn't consider them prog. They were in the realm with Talking Heads, the Motels and Utopia... long live Fee! the smell of burning leather...

om namah shivaya
om gan ganapataye namah
om aim saraswataye namah
om shrim mahalaxmaye
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to DEzerov

Most interesting...it appears that while a bunch of proggers listened to them and obviously enjoyed them, few will accept that they were actually prog...makes me wonder just what the definition is? I've got another band I've in mind that I'll start a new thread on with the very same premise...

*Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought.

*The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Patron

Smile Re: Were the Tubes prog?

I would probably say they were more Burlesque than anything. If you have seen them, you know what I mean. One of the best shows I saw from them was on a New Years eve...they were incredible. Not prog, but lots of fun.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Most interesting...it appears that while a bunch of proggers listened to them and obviously enjoyed them, few will accept that they were actually prog...makes me wonder just what the definition is? I've got another band I've in mind that I'll start a new thread on with the very same premise...
Personally I listen to so many different things. If I had a dollar on every thread here that tried to define prog, I'd have about 40 dollars.

All I have to say about defining it is that trying to define a BAND is useless. A style of a particular song, ok.

I don't accept or not accept they were prog...I just don't bother with it because it's undefinable. And doesn't reduce or increase my enjoyment of it.

Knock yourself out!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

I'd agree with that Rick. And further - just because a Progger likes a group or song that doesn't make it prog!

Happiness is a worn pun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: