Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Enoch
West Coast Concerts

The Left Coast of the US is so IGNORED by bands in general and Prog in pparticular, man! What can a guy do? !!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Re: West Coast Concerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The Left Coast of the US is so IGNORED by bands in general and Prog in pparticular, man! What can a guy do? !!
Really? I equate it to simple geography. The East Coast, north of VA is quite compact, and there is a lot going on prog there. Also, there is the festivals, But South of NC and just about everywhere else there is the same complaint.

There are tons of American bands that only play once a year that are the best known in prog. Djam Karet, Salem Hill, the list goes on. Plus the bands are scattered. There's a ton of reasons actually. Prog ignores everybody, it's not profitable to tour.

You have some great bands out there, we'll never see over here.

I will say the East coast gets more European bands. Less distance to travel.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:39 AM

Yup, that about sums it up. Well, they don't know what they're missing!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
There's CalProg in Whittier, CA every summer. Also, BajaProg is not all that far for you, 2 hours drive from San Diego. I realize San Jose is quite a way up the coast from SD (or LA for CalProg) but you do have very reasonably priced commuter flights in CA. Fly to SAN (or LAX for Calprog) and rent a car. If you do Baja Prog, it's a really nice drive from SD to Mexicali, BC.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 01-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
There's CalProg in Whittier, CA every summer. Also, BajaProg is not all that far for you, 2 hours drive from San Diego. I realize San Jose is quite a way up the coast from SD (or LA for CalProg) but you do have very reasonably priced commuter flights in CA. Fly to SAN (or LAX for Calprog) and rent a car. If you do Baja Prog, it's a really nice drive from SD to Mexicali, BC.
Great! Good points. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadina View Post
Are you in San Jose Enoch? I'm in Sacramento and have managed to see a number of shows. I did travel to NEARfest last summer, but as VAX mentioned there is also CalProg.

I've also been to Sunnyvale to The Quarter Note to see a couple of bands there (Headshear, Fractal, Hazerfan) several times. The Great American Music Hall in SF has some good shows. We had a mini Moonie get-together for the Los Trios Marillios show and Blackfield is playing there in March. Porcupine Tree played in SF in October and that same week, we went to Roger Waters show at the Shoreline in Mountain View.

So, the shows are out there!

Nadina
Yes, I'm sorry to have missed Waters. Hadn't heard of the Porcupine Tree show! Uhgg! (pulls hair out). But no, I'm actually north of San Jose in Martinez, so I'm within reach of the entire Bay Area. I guess I should look around better. My main thing is just that, when I go to some bands website, it always seems to display tour dates in Bridgeport, Providence, Cambridge, yada yada yada....
Old 01-29-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadina View Post
Ah, okay. I know where Martinez is. The tickets for the Blackfield show are on sale. That will be in SF at the Great American Music Hall on March 11. That is the only one we have planned at the moment, but I'll try to let you know when I hear of others. Are you familiar with this site? http://www.till.com/BayProg/

I just complain sometimes about having to drive a couple of hours to get down to SF, lol!

Nadina
Cool! These are local bands on this site? First I've seen of it. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Yeah, it's that time of the year again!!!
http://www.calprog.com/images/CP07/C...banner_std.jpg
Old 01-28-2007, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to AramediusIII

I really have to get to NEARfest. I was dying to see Nektar there!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:25 AM
No clue anymore

I'm in San Jose and there is some local prog next month at the avalon in santa clara. http://www.nightclubavalon.com/ four bands in one nite. The headline is Enchant. March 24th is the date.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFish View Post
I'm in San Jose and there is some local prog next month at the avalon in santa clara. http://www.nightclubavalon.com/ four bands in one nite. The headline is Enchant. March 24th is the date.
Enchant has only played once east of the Mississippi I think, and that was at Nearfest. Their first record is stunning, and subsequent ones after that are good, though not nearly as good as the debut (which is unusual). Their original drummer wrote a lot of that record, now it's more Neo-friendly..

I wish I was closer for the Nearfest show, and I didn't think they were suited for a big hall.

I would imagine they're great in a smaller setting. The guitar playing of Doug Ott is spectacular.

Looks like the set will be great, check it out....

http://www.theoasis.cc/

Zero Hour is pretty heavy, but they have some melody. Prepare to bang thy head...I missed them a few months back at Orion.

Not familiar with Redemption, but Fates Warning and Symphony X are good pedigrees.

Looks like Enchant is a bit mismatched with the others, but if you like both styles, this is a good show.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 02-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFish View Post
Cool, I'm going to try to make this. Looks like fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: