Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - Feature #197 - Bill Bruford

COTM - Feature #197 - Bill Bruford

Greetings friends. This week on Corner of the Mooniverse is one of progressive rock's elite percussionists. His exploration of his craft is so much deeper than most, but he is certainly not the only ground-breaking percussionist. His forage further into Jazz, Jazz-rock and Fusion strengthens my appreciation for his craftsmanship.

I have two full albums for your pleasure along with a few other tracks. The albums are The Buford Tapes from 1979 and Gradually Going Tornado released in 1980. I'll be pulling a track from An Introduction to Summerfold Records for an interesting interview segment. He's quite the philosopher about his trade. I also pull a couple of tracks with Buford Levin Upper Extremities entitled Blue Nights. It was released in 2000. It is a Fusion group Bruford formed with bassist Tony Levin, Trumpeter Chris Botti, and Guitarist David Torn. They have a self-titled studio album as well, but this album was recorded live.

I think this will give you a small glimpse into his many talents outside of Yes and King Crimson and how he changed and nurtured Progressive Rock.
I do hope you can drop in tonight, Friday, Feb. 20 @ 9pm (est).
If you can't, we rebroadcast this feature on Monday @ noon and Wednesday @ 0500 e.s.t. (that one is for the folks across the pond).

See you on the radio.

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM

Re: COTM - Feature #197 - Bill Bruford

Fantastic selection DALE.
Fantastic musician,,composer,,drummer and band leader...

Among my fav all time
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 AM

Dale,

Thank you! Looking forward to the replay tomorrow morning!!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 AM

Dale,

Just to let you know, because, I know I don't do it enough for any of the DJ's here at Aural Moon, but I really enjoyed today's Buford COTM replay.

Excellent music - good commentary - GREAT SHOW!!

Thank you!!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Thank you, Ted. I appreciate that. And Thanks to others that have also commented. (my heroes)

I appreciate everyone's comments and I would love to get more feedback. (Honest feedback, that is.) I like to hear the compliments, suggestions, and critiques too (get banned). It helps us, your DJ's, grow, learn and improve. (feelings hurt)

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM

Bill Bruford is in my playlist ,,several ,, all the time. What a musician. No words about him and progressive music.,,about EArthworks and all lineups ,,just impressive. Beyond jazz..for all those explorer listeners and fans enjoy most.
for that reason it has tricky to understand his retirement.tehese years..here something I found to explain it and maybe it could be interesting for you
taken from an interview :
"The last record I heard from the great Max Roach before he died was unpleasant to listen to," Bruford said, with trademark honesty. "You know, drumming involves motor functions, and there was daylight between him and the bass player. They weren't even close.

"I'm unhappy with this idea that jazz guys have to go on forever, endlessly doing gigs that get worse and worse and then you die in a hotel room," he said, voice crackling on the telephone line from his home near London. "If you're a geriatric rock guy, like the Rolling Stones, you're too stupid or drunk or drugged to know when to stop. If you're a jazz guy, you're not supposed to have enough money to stop. But I want to quit right on the head. Why wait until it gets horrible?"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: